Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And why in god's name would a game designer use such similar terminology to name three different things?

I cannot figure out how these three things are used, and how they impact each other and the game.

Also, what does it mean when a monster is <summoned>? Is this different than spawned?

I had an easier time learning Dominant Species than I am having learning this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, the only thing that seems similar with them all is the use of 'monster' and that is there so you know they are not talking about your characters or items or traps. I am sure it would have been more confusing if they had just used one term throughout and expected you to realise from the context which they referred to, seems like they actually did a decent job of trying to make each concept have a different word that otherwise could have been very confusing, especially for those players for whom English is a second language (like it is for the designer).

As to what they all mean, I can't remember so long since I played and I am not dragging the box out to look.
(EDIT-I grabbed the box and read for you because I need to know)

1. Monster rating is the chance (no. or higher) on a d10 of monsters turning up (also known as Monster Spawn Value) Page 9 and Page 26 have the relevant bits that need to be pulled together to make sense of this. It, along with the Horror rating/value are set by the chapter card and the value decreases if the roll 'fails' (the heroes want it to fail), making it more likely a monster will turn up on the next roll, until one does and then the value resets to it's starting value for that chapter.
2. Monster level is the deck of cards you are pulling from (1 through 5)
3. Monster threat is the indicator of how badly you are doing clearing monsters, as the Threat increases when you cannot spawn a monster due to having either no cards in the current deck and discard or you have 4 monsters on the tile. It is aptly named as if it rises to max (10?) and then gets another increase then the monster level increases meaning you use the next numbered monster deck - as they are bigger badder monsters seems a pretty good description that threat increasing is actually a threat of tougher monsters.

Monster rating is the only slightly confusing term due to it being called 'value' and not 'rating' in some places, otherwise they seem to do a pretty good job of describing what they refer to.

Summoned is only slightly different to spawned in that when monsters are Spawned there is a tile limit of 4 monsters, any monster summoned ignores this limit and so could see a 5th monster placed on the same tile. (Page 9, 1st column, 2nd last paragraph)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

I FINALLY wrapped my head around this game.

It's such a simple game. It's the rule books that are atrocious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.