13 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Misjump question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Wilkes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If misjump is played do you just resolve the top card of the destination deck, or do they get a new card and look at it along with the other one, and then select one of the two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You already chose Misjump (or Blind Jumped into one), so you get the next one, whatever it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
So a cylon admiral with a choice of [1] or [0]-(misjump) should probably pick the [1], to avoid misjumping into a [3], I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:
So a cylon admiral with a choice of [1] or [0]-(misjump) should probably pick the [1], to avoid misjumping into a [3], I suppose.

Possibly. Depends on the situation. The chance to lose up to 2 population from a civilian ship can also be tempting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfox4 wrote:

1) Never choose 1 unless it would be death or you've already travelled 7.
2) I love 3's unless I've travelled 6 already.

Distance needs to be the Admiral's mantra.

(all assuming I'm human of course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Starfox4 wrote:

Possibly. Depends on the situation. The chance to lose up to 2 population from a civilian ship can also be tempting.

Actually, 2 Pop is the average. You could lose 0. If we're talking up to, then you could lose up to 4.

dcorbin13 wrote:
Starfox4 wrote:

1) Never choose 1 unless it would be death or you've already travelled 7.
2) I love 3's unless I've travelled 6 already.

Distance needs to be the Admiral's mantra.

(all assuming I'm human of course)

for #1, losing the Fuel and/or Morale ship can definitely be an issue in choosing 0/Misjump over 1. However, this is more useful if Dee, or some other civvy savvy player can "confirm" (not directly of course due to secrecy rules) that the Fuel and/or Morale ship is already on the MGB (since civvies are drawn from off board whenever possible. And yeah, CFB has to be in play since civvies would get cleared otherwise).

We've had one group where whenever we jump, it pretty much goes like so...
"Is there going to be a 3 distance?"
"Is there going to be a 2 distance?"
"Or is there going to be an execution?" laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:

"But I had to choose from 2 1 distances"

Last time I was admiral first jump choices were Tylium Planet and Tylium Planet. For third jump the choices were Barren Planet and Barren Planet ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Actually, 2 Pop is the average. You could lose 0. If we're talking up to, then you could lose up to 4.

I thought Misjump was one civilian ship (and Blind Jump is 2 civilian ships).

Oh, the joy of Cain Blind Jumping into a Misjump. That might've happened in the game when (a human) Cain Blind Jumped twice and the humans still lost..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhsa wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

"But I had to choose from 2 1 distances"

Last time I was admiral first jump choices were Tylium Planet and Tylium Planet. For third jump the choices were Barren Planet and Barren Planet ...
heh... in one game with just base game, Galen got brigged because no1 bought he didn't have any Repairs. He managed to discard his hand in due time, and not one of them were Repairs!

a1bert wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Oh, the joy of Cain Blind Jumping into a Misjump. That might've happened in the game when (a human) Cain Blind Jumped twice and the humans still lost..

It is 1. I stand corrected! blush

As I did look it up, the text says...
Draw 1 civilian ship and destroy it. Then discard this card and draw a new Destination Card to resolve
... so it explicitly states to just draw 1 Dest. card.

The Admiral title card refers to when you jump, so they are indeed 2 different things...
When the fleet jumps, you draw 2 Destination Cards and choose 1.
You Control the nuke tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I've done Blind Jump into Misjump into Mining Asteroid...

I won that game (Cylon Cain - Blind Jump was fairly close to auto Jump rather than the beginning of the track)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
a1bert wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I won that game (Cylon Cain - Blind Jump was fairly close to auto Jump rather than the beginning of the track)

If you know there's a bad Destination on top, then all the better! You get to take out 2 civvies while you're at it! In one case, cylon Cain was able to convince the group (though begrudgingly) that they needed to jump NOW, since the situation could've been that dire. Don't remember if FTL Control was damaged or not, but even if not, on average, you'd lose less Pop vs. jumping on -3.

For another game cylon Cain ended up Blind Jumping into a 3 distance, which ended up being bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
a1bert wrote:

If you know there's a bad Destination on top, then all the better!

The popular (I think) house rule is that Blind Jump must take the first unscouted destination. If the topmost destination is scouted, take the second destination, if the topmost is unscouted, take it. I think that should've been official rule too, since it makes so much sense (well at least to me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhsa wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
a1bert wrote:

If you know there's a bad Destination on top, then all the better!

The popular (I think) house rule is that Blind Jump must take the first unscouted destination. If the topmost destination is scouted, take the second destination, if the topmost is unscouted, take it. I think that should've been official rule too, since it makes so much sense (well at least to me).
Majority of my groups don't use that variant.

Even then, I don't find it to be that "offensive"... thematically, Adama being able to activate Airlock, and Cap Six being able to activate Basestar Bridge without penalty are worse in my books.

The analogy I use is if you fire a rifle blindfolded, that's a blind shot. However, if someone else aims the rifle for you, you firing it is still a blind shot, but it hitting its mark is still fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.