Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't visited this BGG entry for time but I know I had issues with this game only because I wanted to setup the monsters to the locations better than randomly picking them. I am looking for themed locations.

Has anyone come up with a good variant to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game doesn't work that way. The only themed monsters are the villain and their henchman. Limiting the Monster deck to specific foes means you're also giving the heroes advance knowledge of the challenges they're going to face. For example, a location consisting of ghosts would mean the heroes know ahead of time they'll need cards with the magic trait in order to defeat any monster cards.

The Organized Play Scenarios for Rise of the Runelords (Season of the Runelords) add some extra theme with special scenario rules that tweak the game. For example:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In one scenario, the heroes are captured in a net by goblins. All the heroes start on the Junkyard Beach location and they can't leave until the beach is closed.

If you want a broad overview of themed monsters, the adventures break down along these lines:

Deck 1: Goblins
Deck 2: Undead
Deck 3: Ogres and Trolls
Deck 4: Giants

Decks 5 and 6 start featuring high-level threats with greater variety - dragons, demons, golems, and the like. Basically any powerful monster that can be dominated by a wizard.

Some simple hacks you can implement:

1.) If you only have complaints about a few monsters, remove them from the monster deck. Aquatic themed monsters (Bunyips) seems to be the biggest complaint cited by a lot of players.
2.) You can make the game harder (and more thematic) if you banish all the lower level foes. For example, if you only used monsters from Adventure Deck - 1 and higher, Adventure Deck 3 Scenarios would only have monsters from Decks 2 & 3, increasing the likelihood of seeing more Ogres and Trolls.
3.) Do nothing to the decks and simply draw a different monster card from the box when you encounter something you don't like. Another possibility would be summoning a henchman, but that can be pretty harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond the suggestions in my previous post, the only other advice I can offer is that players will have to use their imaginations to explain encounters at a location. Let's take the popular example of the bunyip:

A bunyip was found in a pond in back of the Abandoned Farm House. It's a work animal that keeps the pond clear of more dangerous monsters.

A bunyip was found in a pool at the Temple. The priests placed it there to discourage visitors from tossing coins in the fountain and making wishes; parishioners should be praying to their deity instead.

A bunyip was found in the Laboratory because it's part of an experiment.

A bunyip was found in the Guard House because it was confiscated from a ring of animal smugglers.

And it goes on from there. If the lack of themed monsters is a big drawback, it might be worth passing on Pathfinder Adventure Card Game in favor of other card games because you'll run into this problem repeatedly.

It helps to think of the locations as part of a larger ecosystem. Also, if you keep in mind the whole idea of dungeon crawling doesn't make sense. Various groups of intelligent and semi-intelligent beings hang around in abandoned locales above and below ground waiting to be slaughtered by treasure seekers. How do the monsters eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom; do you know how much bio-mass a dragon would need to consume each day just to survive? How do monsters meet others of their kind? How do they raise their young? When you start thinking about these kinds of questions, buynips in the guard house is the least of your problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere about a semi-themed variant where you separate out all the monsters with a keyword based on the current adventure (so you would use Goblin for Adventure 1) and shuffle them together in one stack, then you shuffle all the other monsters in a second stack. You count the number of monsters in al of the locations, then take half that number from the themed stack and the other half from the random stack, shuffle them together and deal the appropriate number of monsters to each location.
This way you get a lot of monsters that fit with the adventure while still finding some random ones.

(I don't remember who suggested this, sorry!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Rise of the Runelords has a more generic monster deck in the box set.

Once you start adding the adventure decks (as you move along the Adventure path) you'll be removing the base characters and replacing (lower level monsters) with the adventure pack monsters.

The feel should become more thematic...

In any case, it's your game do what you wish

ArrOOoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out my linear board with modified rules:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1121475/variant-linear-boar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.