BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solitaire historical strategy games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Machynlleth
Powys
flag msg tools
Title says it all. I love historical strategy games, I'm looking to move from computer gaming into the board game sphere, but I'm low on friends to play with. I prefer my games not to be too abstract and I'm quite happy with a non-military theme. Multiplayer games that have PC adaptations with decent AI are also fine -- the PC version of Twilight Struggle is what brought me here. What are my best options?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You may want to try Fleet Commander: Nimitz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have a look at Agricola, Master of Britain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enemy Action: Ardennes This is a 3 in 1 game with both solo rules for the Germans and Americans. There are also rules for playing a 2 player game.

D-Day at Omaha Beach considered one of the best solo wargames out there. Other in the series are D-Day at Tarawa and D-Day at Peleliu but I would go for the Normandy game.

Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire if you like indians and cowboys. Haven't played it but it did enjoy Navajo Wars but that one is currently out of print.

If you like that your wargames tell stories you also might want to check out The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 or Target for Today. Haven't played the last one but so far reviews have been good.

If you like more tactical you could try to get Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) + Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion You will have a very good game to play when friends do come to visit and you will also have very good AI rules to play solo.

Another one you could consider is Thunderbolt Apache Leader although I'm not sure that this is still in print

You could also check out the state of siege series from victory point games. Hapsburg Eclipse or Ottoman Sunset. I didn't enjoy it to much but there are quite a few people who like them.

As a last kind of advice, most wargames are playable solo even if they don't have solo rules. You just play both sides. This weekend I finished a game of Tonkin: The Indochina war 1950-54 (second edition) playing solo and had a great time.
You could also check out Vassal which let you play a lot of games by using email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero of Weehawken for some historical fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Various geeklists of such games:

Solitaire War Games
Solitaire Ancient Wargame
Top Rated Solitaire Wargames -- Active BGG Wargamers -- May 2013
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadScobie wrote:
but I'm low on friends to play with.

A condition a lot of us face mate... That, and time - never enough time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should like Don't Tread On Me: The American Revolution Solitaire Board Game or Redvers' Reverse: The Battle of Colenso, 1899.

You get to play the "redcoats".

In RAF you get to play "The Few".

In Field Commander: Alexander you get to play...well...you know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadScobie wrote:
I prefer my games not to be too abstract and I'm quite happy with a non-military theme...What are my best options?

Give a serious look at Leaving Earth, which is about the space race from 1956 to 1976. It is an excellent solitaire experience, and one that I feel has a good dose of historical flavor (even if it is recent history). You can plan a manned mission to the moon or Mars (or other places) or just explore various bodies in the inner solar system. Of course, you'll have to research and especially test various technologies surrounding space exploration (rockets, reentry, landing, rendezvous, etc.). The main warning I give is that the game requires a lot of planning, a good bit of arithmetic, and a little risk taking to do well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Machynlleth
Powys
flag msg tools
Wow, wasn't expecting so many suggestions. Thanks guys, I'll have a good time looking through these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you want a historical game or a war game?

War games are a subset of historical games that deal with one related series of wars, one war, one campaign, one battle, etc.

A "historical game" (other than a wargame) deals with things other than war. It can have wars also but not exclusively. Historical games can include shifting alliances because there is a bigger picture than the war happening. (ex: Twilight Struggle is more of a "historical game" than a war game. The same goes for Civilization,Here I Stand, Virgin Queen(even though those last two titles have a lot of battles in them) etc.

Almost any wargame or "historical game" can be played solo. I have done so with most of my collection. You just have to play the best you can for each side. The fun is to see how alternate history unfolds.

Pick a subject that really interests you and explore it. You can't go wrong with playing around with an interesting subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Machynlleth
Powys
flag msg tools
I'm interested in both, although I probably lean more to the historical side of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forthcoming 1066, Tears To Many Mothers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations One of my favorite games. Comes with soloplayer rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Machynlleth
Powys
flag msg tools
You had me at Pavlov's House, I love Stalingrad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Published in Strategy & Tactics #299, 2016: The First Crusade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedom The Underground Railroad is very good as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.