1 , 2  Next »   | 

Through the Ages» Forums » General

Subject: Strategies for scenarios in mobile version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roman Lípa
msg tools
Hello guys!

I have just bought mobile version of this game. I thought i am good at this game but AI is constantly teaching me I have much to learn !

So please if you beat any scenario, tell us what scenario you played and what was your strategy !

Thanks a lot !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Lípa
msg tools
I have defeated Joanna by strong army Napoleon strategy.

Just keep stronger then Joanna and get all the population colonies. Attack her with everything what takes population from her so she is out of people and cannot build suitable army.

Just keep upgrading your warfare technology to get all those military actions. So you can take make the culture difference with culture wars and aggresions.

Age A
Aristoteles 2 labs 3bronze 2farms pyramids

Age I

Leonardo 2Irigination 3Iron 2alchemy 1knight warfare bread&games

Age II

Napoleon 1knight 1footsman 2 cannons Republic/Const. Monarchy

Age III

Democracy more army techs computers/film Gates/Chaplin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxolan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immortal leader works great with those age 1 leaders that highly reward a weird setup but then let you down when they get replaced: Genghis Khan, Joan of Arc, Michelangelo.

Remember that unpickable leader cards are going to clog the board. Plan your picks accordingly.

The Epic games with extra yellow cards make extra civil actions very valuable, since it's easy to turn them into whatever resources you need.

The Discount games also reward civil (and military) actions. Though you usually don't want to spend them on yellow cards (except science ones); you're likely to lose whatever they earn you to corruption. Instead you really want resource techs, so you can upgrade all the time and keep corruption somewhat manageable. Wonders also make great resource sinks.

All cards that give extra yellow or blue cubes are stronger too. In the highest Discount challenge, it's entirely possible to run out of yellow.

Avoid resource leaders; there is such a kill as overkill. I tried Moses once; getting pops for free turned out to be pretty useless, and then all the spare food created a hopeless corruption spiral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Lípa
msg tools
I've just won Wonders!

AGE A
Aristoteles
builders/reserves
!NO WONDERS!
2farms 4bronze 2(A)labs temple

AGE I
Leonardo
Alchemy/Irrignation/Code of Laws/Knights
builders/reserves/patriotism
1 warrior/ 1knight tactic
1 irrignated farm 1farm 4bronze 2(I)labs
Taj Mahal/Basilica

AGE II
Isaac Newton/Strategy (better option - civil actions for wonders)
OR
Napoleon/3(I) labs
Const.Monarchy/Coal/strategy/Cannons
1warrior/1knight/1cannon tactic
4coal others same as AGE I
Eiffel Tower/Transatlantic

AGE III
Chaplin
4films
Hollywood/Any else
Anything else you can handle for AGE III kulture events

I have had 7 culture more then Pride at the end !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn. I wish I'd remembered to write it all down aswell.
It'd be fun to read how I somehow got a 6-8 wonders done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Lípa
msg tools
It is easy. You need to focus on production, civil actions and masonry techs. Problem is, you are going to be out of something else. Reaserch/army/whatever

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Lípa
msg tools
I have just finished 2/3 culture production.

Strategy was based on building absolutly NONE culture production entire game. (So you do not care it is only 2/3) Every culture I get was from aggresions and politic actions. AGE III mostly.

AGE A
Hamurabi
Pyramids
2 farms 4bronze 2labs

AGE I
Leonardo
Monarchy
2 Irrignation 2alchemy 1/2bread and games
Warfare
1knight

AGE II
Napoleon
2 cannons
2 cannons tactic
few aggresions
4 coal
3 irrignation

AGE III
Democracy
Gates/Churchill
4 laboratories
4 sport

Space flight or any wonder who gives you most culture from buildings you can build. Most important is prepare some green politic actions and build or tech anything what gives you most culture from them because of double culture bonus from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Lípa
msg tools
I've Just finished +30culture with 179 more culture then him.

Not much to say. It was pure army strategy. No need to introduce that. Aggresions. Aggresions. War for culture. Try to get some People colonies.

AGE A
Pyramids
Hamurabi
4 bronze 2 labs

AGE I
Leonardo
Monarchy (entire game so you have bulbs for army techs)
Taj Mahal
2Irrignation 2alchemy 2bread&games
knight
warfare

Age II
Napoleon
Eiffel Tower
4 coal
cannons
big army (all production)
reserves for food

AGE III
Still Napoleon
spaceflight
rockets/modern army/tanks suitable for your tactics
reserves for food
bigger army (all production)
Sports if needed
Military science
war for culture as many times you can
Army Importance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for these posts.

I was having a lot of trouble with "Deep Impact" (2/3 culture production) but your strategy helped me beat it. thumbsup

I also find that the Easy AI player can be made to do sub-optimal things. I had a research agreement with it that I used perhaps 2 or 3 times more often than it did. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Lípa
msg tools
Just won Unfavorable fate (+2strenght opponents) with 91 more culture.

Reward from every culture event is doubled so make sure you do some every round. Problem is, there are 3 times more events rewarding strenght. So you need get your army before AGE I events are going to cripple you.

I do not recommend army leaders, but early army you can maintain entire game.

Here is my game:

AGE A
Aristoteles
Colosus (I think this is the best A wonder for this scenario, because you can reach fast your boosted enemies.)
3 bronze 2labs 2warriors
builders/reserves

AGE I
Leonardo
Code of laws
1-2theatres
2knights 2 warriors medieval army tactics (if its not enough entire game just make another knight and warrior. You do not need to be strongest one at all. Just do not be the weakest.)
2irrignation 3iron
get some people colonies

AGE II
Shakespeare
Const.Monarchy
2journalism
2theatres
3Irrignation 4iron
Architecture

AGE III
Chaplin (keep him to the last round, Shakespeare is better )
Democracy
ideal 4 films (minimum one)
ideal 4 multimedias
Hollywood (make sure you can build it, its a planty of culture)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally beat the hardest catch-up/long-game scenario, in which 3 opponents start with 180 culture and there is an extra copy of each action AND technology card in the age I-III decks.

As I kind of guessed, strategies that don't involve massive warfare are not good enough. I tred them a few times but there is always one AI that you can't catch up, especially if it wages wars agains the weakest AIs and gains extra culture that way. Generally the AI is good enough at producing culture that even if you go from Mike to Shakespeare maxed out, it's not going to be enough.

So the first part of the game was general infrastructure build-up, and massively bidding for yellow token colonies, because you need population for that crazy army. In this absurdly long game it is vital to upgrade every production type, potentially even upgrading age I ones to age II ones, because they will produce for so many rounds more than in a regular game. It certainly pays back.

Age II: I went Journalisms+Operas and Shakespeare. Getting 20+ culture production is important to not let the AIs get even larger lead than 180 culture. I also picked every age II military tech to prepare for non-antiquated age III tactic, hopefully Modern Army. Kremlin and Ocean Liner are very important.

Age III: Drawing 3 military cards all the time, and because the game lasts so long, makes it easy to draw multiple culture wars. Then it's just a matter of getting multiple Air Force -boosted Modern Armies, and waging war against the weakest opponents or those with highest culture. I ended up having only 3 massive wars, and of course the AIs warred with each others as well.

My highest military was three non-antiquated Modern Armies with Air Forces, tying up 15 population for a strength of 140+ something with strength from sources like Military Theory as well. In my final war I drained 60+ culture from the leader who was at around 80 strength, which was enough to let me have around 100 point domination score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Padish wrote:
I finally beat the hardest catch-up/long-game scenario, in which 3 opponents start with 180 culture and there is an extra copy of each action AND technology card in the age I-III decks.

As I kind of guessed, strategies that don't involve massive warfare are not good enough. I tred them a few times but there is always one AI that you can't catch up, especially if it wages wars agains the weakest AIs and gains extra culture that way. Generally the AI is good enough at producing culture that even if you go from Mike to Shakespeare maxed out, it's not going to be enough.

So the first part of the game was general infrastructure build-up, and massively bidding for yellow token colonies, because you need population for that crazy army. In this absurdly long game it is vital to upgrade every production type, potentially even upgrading age I ones to age II ones, because they will produce for so many rounds more than in a regular game. It certainly pays back.

Age II: I went Journalisms+Operas and Shakespeare. Getting 20+ culture production is important to not let the AIs get even larger lead than 180 culture. I also picked every age II military tech to prepare for non-antiquated age III tactic, hopefully Modern Army. Kremlin and Ocean Liner are very important.

Age III: Drawing 3 military cards all the time, and because the game lasts so long, makes it easy to draw multiple culture wars. Then it's just a matter of getting multiple Air Force -boosted Modern Armies, and waging war against the weakest opponents or those with highest culture. I ended up having only 3 massive wars, and of course the AIs warred with each others as well.

My highest military was three non-antiquated Modern Armies with Air Forces, tying up 15 population for a strength of 140+ something with strength from sources like Military Theory as well. In my final war I drained 60+ culture from the leader who was at around 80 strength, which was enough to let me have around 100 point domination score.

Wow.

My personal takeaway from your report: I'm never winning this challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just won the 1/3 production culture and no wars challenge.

My first effort I neglected to read the whole rules and forgot about the no wars and triple Age-III Impact scoring. I had a 50+ army to their 12-20 and I was waiting for a Culture War card. hehe..

so when I finally started again I went medium military to exercise the agressions well and then basically setup strong science and resource production to invest in
1. Game end wonders
2. Hi tech stuff to meet the possibilities of all Impacts (Movies, Democracy, blue tech Level-III, most urban types, most military types, lots of people and happiness)

I specifically neglected:
1. culture producing wonders
2. theatres and temples (all happiness from bread and circus early)
3. culture boosting leaders of course.

I won 59 ahead.

I have to assume that this would also work for the "Deepest Impact" challenge aswell. I wonder if the 2P will play that differently?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
I just won the 1/3 production culture and no wars challenge.

My first effort I neglected to read the whole rules and forgot about the no wars and triple Age-III Impact scoring. I had a 50+ army to their 12-20 and I was waiting for a Culture War card. hehe..

so when I finally started again I went medium military to exercise the agressions well and then basically setup strong science and resource production to invest in
1. Game end wonders
2. Hi tech stuff to meet the possibilities of all Impacts (Movies, Democracy, blue tech Level-III, most urban types, most military types, lots of people and happiness)

I specifically neglected:
1. culture producing wonders
2. theatres and temples (all happiness from bread and circus early)
3. culture boosting leaders of course.

I won 59 ahead.

I have to assume that this would also work for the "Deepest Impact" challenge aswell. I wonder if the 2P will play that differently?!?

Deepest Impact wasn't that bad, because the triple-score from all the impacts is so much more than whatever the opponent scored via culture production. Having only single opponent makes it easy to pick the impacts to seed so you know it will certainly be advantageous for you. For example I scored over 60 from Impact of Progress, and AI got less than 30.

Age III wonders are a good source of points too. You can try to set yourself up for two of them. This requires a lot of resources, but on the other hand you don't need to bother with Movies, Sid+Computers, or other usual age III culture-producing builds.

But I got to admit success in this scenario depends a lot on how AI plays this mode. If it takes a culture strategy with Mike for example, it's going to be much tougher than if its age I leader is Joan or Columbus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Lípa
msg tools
Victory! Three Gods!

Early Culture, late army.

Age A
Aristoteles
3 bronze
Gardens
genius

AGE I
Barbarosa
4 bronze
Basilica + Taj Mahal
2 Printing Press
Code of Laws
(8culture per turn & no care about happiness)
genius/reserves

AGE II
Napoleon
2knights 2warriors medieval tactics
4coal
2selective breeding
2journalistics
reserves/genius/patriotism...
(get eiffel tower if you can manage, I did not)

AGE III
In this age Gods will try to rape you with culture wars. Especially if you are winning the culture. They just will. So make sure you can build suitable army when they attack. (Usually in last 2-3 rounds.)

Ghandi
Democracy
Fortifications
8cannons
Military Theory

Win wars for culture and that's it.

It was more luck then strategy. Not sure if it will work for you . But Basilisc+gardens combo is awesome .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Padish wrote:
But I got to admit success in this scenario depends a lot on how AI plays this mode. If it takes a culture strategy with Mike for example, it's going to be much tougher than if its age I leader is Joan or Columbus.

Exactly what happened to me, I lost by about 80 points.

I had Joan and raided my opponent on Mich plus Basilica a couple of times in age I. Then he moved to Cook with 3-4 colonies and was still doing +8-10 culture. I played infiltrate unsuccesfully on him twice. I was taking big leads in military, but every turn he would match me. He was using both MAs every turn and had more resource than me through bad card draw (or probably bad play from me). So I never took more than a 4-5 strength lead into my turn. Finally I played infiltrate when he had 1 card left in early age III and of course he had a +6 defense.
I was beaten by then. I was sitting on 40-45 culture to his 130 soon after. I think when impacts hit I was 100 behind him, and for his last move he, for no reason known to him, upgraded to computers x2 and took my science impact lead and smashed me.

It's a brutally tricky game. Most wonders are useless until the end. I probably need to unlearn lots of good habits, or just hate draft the AI more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Stringfellow
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the deep impact ones some of the easiest. The impacts for food and resource production are easy to get big points in, the final impact challenge I got 250 or so points just from those 2.

Just completed the impossible wonder challenge today. I think I managed to get 7/8 age 1 and 2 wonders and just got enough points out to hold on by the end, ending with a tie which is apparently a win. I don't think I built any urban building all game except age a labs.

I think being pretty new to the game is making the challenges easier for me, as I don't have habits formed which may not work as well in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Lípa
msg tools
Just won Battle of the Immortals with 70more culture.

My Immortal was Michelangelo.

Gardens + Basilica + Eiffel Tower (11culture per round)

4 organized religion (another 16culture per round)

fast monarchy + late democracy for building limit
fast 3 alchemy ->should be enough entire game

Keep follow opponents army. If you have any spare resources or people, just make some theatres. any age

Crazy culture production. Easy win. A lot of time for building your defenses. Culture leading from the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
Padish wrote:

I also found a heavy military strategy to be the only one that worked. I did a lot similar to Riku, but went even more all-in on military. I also went for the 3x non-antiquated Modern Armies with Air Forces for strength 140+, and declared one War on Culture against each opponent.

By the end, I had 15 population on military, 3 mines, 2 farms, 3 labs, 3 happiness -- a total of 26 pop, meaning you need to get 5 yellow tokens (assuming you capped out population before Age 4, so only lost 4 tokens). If you have less, you can destroy a couple buildings at the end for the big wars. Happiness wonders will also reduce the number of happiness buildings you need.

Age A: Pyramids and Alexander. Extra CA will pay off so much in such a long game. Alexander means extra yellow token and you can take the early military lead easier, and hopefully win a couple aggressions to kickstart your infrastructure. Aggressing against the same opponent over and over will be important too -- you want a weak one to do Wars over Territory/Technology in Age II.

Also, the game takes so long, it's worth restarting until you can get 1st turn order (to stay ahead in military strength), Pyramids and Alexander.

Age I: like Riku, upgrade all your production. Get 2 Irrigation, 3 Iron, 2 Alchemy. I pick up one happiness tech (Theology or Bread and Circuses). Get both Code of Laws and Warfare. Most importantly, get the best military you can afford, with Knights and/or Swordsmen (depends on your tactics draws). I used Barbarossa to help get a lot of army up quickly.

I used to get St Peter's Basilica, but it never worked for me and I found getting infrastructure set up more important. I skipped Age I wonders, Monarchy, Cartography, Masonry.

Age II: some similarities some differences from Riku. I didn't go for Shakespeare. The population, techs, CAs, resources required to set it up would not outproduce an additional and/or more successful War on Culture. This is unless the right cards come up early enough to make it work (I tried a few times, and never could get it to work while at the same time getting the perfect army Age III).

Leader: Napolean
Government: Constitutional Monarchy preferable (in the game I won, I ended up with Republic as my only viable choice, which was viable but made my life much harder).
Wonders: Kremlin, Ocean Liner
Production/Urban: Get 2x Selective Breeding, get a 3rd Alchemy after government change, keep your happiness up. By end game you'll need 9 happy faces (due to -1 from Kremlin), so 3x Age II happiness buildings will get you through.

Focus everything else on military. Ideally, 3x Napoleanic Army with all Age II military techs researched or at least in hand.

Hopefully you get access to some good aggression cards, and ideally War over Territory. A big win there can net you 4+ yellow tokens. Otherwise, you're going to have to hope you can win a yellow token territory or two.

Hopefully you end Age II with a bunch of spare population. The plan is that when Age III hits, you quickly convert all your armies into 3x Modern Army with Airforces, then just pray that you get Wars on Culture at the right times.

Age III:
Leader: stay with Napolean (you need the 2 MAs and 8 strength)
Government: no change.
Wonders: any that will maximise points, but only with leftover production after you have full armies (probably Fast Food Chains or Space Flight).
Production/Urban: generally no need for upgrading, is situational. You might find the need for an extra farm or Mechanized Agriculture if you didn't get Ocean Liner until Age II, so that you can get 15 population for your military ASAP.

Priorities:
1. Pay whatever it costs to get Air Forces.
2. Avoid moving the card row as much as you can, even if it means giving up CAs (some turns I gave up 6 CA). You want as many turns as possible to draw Wars on Culture and play them, and also to only have to play them once you have 100+ strength (ideally 140+). This was probably the most important part of my Age III strategy. Picking up cards may let you get some extra points through wonders/impacts, but will reduce the number of rounds by 1-2 rounds. A single war will negate the impact of any extra points you might get. Play 3 wars with 80+ strength difference against each of your opponents, and you get a 160+80+80 = 320 point advantage against each opponent by playing 3 wars.
3. Combining the above two: get your 3x Modern Army with Airforce ASAP, and take only card row cards that are strictly necessary to achieve this.
4. Military Theory is nice to have for 2 MA.
5. Denying Gandhi is also useful, depending on your MA situation (I didn't need to, my Gandhi opponent was the weakest in culture, so I only had to war them once at the end).
6. Pick up one non-Air Force Age III military tech, to sink any surplus production into military. Ideally, pick one that is in first position so it won't affect the card row.
7. The best impact for you will be Impact of Competition.

From here, you will just have to pray that Airforces come early enough and that you can get it, and that you get the Wars on Culture when you need them. If you're unlucky and one of your opponents is militarily strong playing successive wars and gaining a lead, you might need an extra war (for 4 wars total) to win. That's why the extra 1-2 rounds is so vital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
By the way, I've only got two challenges left: the ones rated as "Impossible" (the last of the Gods and Wonders lines). And, well ... I'm finding them impossible. At least the Gods one anyway (haven't tried the other). Has anyone else worked out how to beat them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Boughton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished up the last remaining challenge (World of Wonders) and posted a thread where I give an overview of some of the strategies employed etc.

You can find it here:
https://videogamegeek.com/thread/1861015/all-challenges-comp...

Let me know if you're after any more specifics on how I went about the impossible challenges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Lípa
msg tools
What exactly Riku means?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Topol wrote:
What exactly Riku means?

It's the name of a person who replied earlier in the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean everything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Padish wrote:
I mean everything!

Do you mean you're never sarcastic?
Or you are 100% deliberate in your actions?
Or you're the answer to the life, universe and everything; sort of a human 42, so-to-speak?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.