Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Whistle Stop» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stock Market Scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Hubbold
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey,

I have been playing mainly 2 player and the stock scoring seems massively over powered at the moment.

I wanted to clarify how this works.

Say I land on the stock market tile I have 2 blue 2 yellow and a red. I Then discard 1 card say 1 blue, do I:

A) Get the amount stated on the stock market tile times the amount of over all stocks I have left so this would be 3?

B) Get the points stated on the stock market tiles times the amount of the same colour I have discarded. Which in this case would be the 1 remaining blue?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you reach a Stock Market, you get points according to the number on the Stock Market tile (either 3 or 4), times however many stock shares you own. So, if you own 2 blue shares, 2 yellow shares, and a red share, and you reached the Stock Market that gives you 4 points per share, you'd score 20 points (4 points for each of your 5 shares). You would then discard one of your stock shares. The color discarded has no effect on what you score for a Stock Market visit; you simply choose any one of your shares to discard as the last thing you do when you visit a Stock Market.

Note, the numbers shown on your stock shares have nothing to do with how many points you score at the Stock Market. They're simply a tie-breaker for the end-of-game game stock scoring.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As chaddyboy stated. It is indeed a powerful spot particularly if you can get multiple trains there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
As chaddyboy stated. It is indeed a powerful spot particularly if you can get multiple trains there.

You do have to spend a lot of effort getting a bunch of shares though, and it also depends on having shares you can discard without relinquishing the majority of shares.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hubbold
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification. It is more powerful that I thought as I was discarding before adding up the score.

The stocks are definitely an issue with a 2 player game. It seems that the player who gets to the shares first and collects a decent amount will usually win.

What seems unbalanced is that for example if I collect 6 share cards witch I score between 5-10 for each one so a minimum of 35 points. I then pass 4 trains through the 3 stock market ensuring I have 6 cards each time I pass collecting 24 each time plus the amount for the new share collected. I then have the majority with 3 different shares at the end getting 15 for each.

At what I believe is a fair possible ending to a game the above would give the player 191.

i understand that it is possible for the other player to attempt to also collect shares and uses power up's to attempt to stop you from collecting but it does seem that in a 2 player game there is no benefit to collecting resources other then to buy shares which are much more valuable than spending the resources at the end tile.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
Jamie_h88 wrote:
What seems unbalanced is that for example if I collect 6 share cards witch I score between 5-10 for each one so a minimum of 35 points.

Ok, so those are the 35(ish) points you get for acquiring your 6 Stocks.

Jamie_h88 wrote:
I then pass 4 trains through the 3 stock market ensuring I have 6 cards each time I pass collecting 24 each time.

You won't have 6 Stocks each time, because you lose 1 Stock after each visit to the Stock Market. So total points through that particular Stock Market for the 4 trains would be 6x3 + 5x3 + 4x3 + 3x3 = 54.

Jamie_h88 wrote:
I then have the majority with 3 different shares at the end getting 15 for each.

It would be difficult to guarantee any majorities, because you bought 6 Stocks and gave 4 of them away at the Stock Market. i.e. you only have 2 Stocks when majorities are decided.

I think your opponent would need to play really badly to lose under these circumstances.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hubbold
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Highland Cow wrote:
Jamie_h88 wrote:
What seems unbalanced is that for example if I collect 6 share cards witch I score between 5-10 for each one so a minimum of 35 points.

Ok, so those are the 35(ish) points you get for acquiring your 6 Stocks.

Jamie_h88 wrote:
I then pass 4 trains through the 3 stock market ensuring I have 6 cards each time I pass collecting 24 each time.

You won't have 6 Stocks each time, because you lose 1 Stock after each visit to the Stock Market. So total points through that particular Stock Market for the 4 trains would be 6x3 + 5x3 + 4x3 + 3x3 = 54.

Jamie_h88 wrote:
I then have the majority with 3 different shares at the end getting 15 for each.

It would be difficult to guarantee any majorities, because you bought 6 Stocks and gave 4 of them away at the Stock Market. i.e. you only have 2 Stocks when majorities are decided.

I think your opponent would need to play really badly to lose under these circumstances.


As stated making sure I have 6 share cards each time I pass. Meaning collecting a new one before passing into the stock market.

It really is not that conceivable that one person in a 2 person game will end up with majority in 3 of the shares as there are only 5 sets and the tie breaker is a big part of that.

I think you may have missed the point a little as i'm not trying to say the other player cannot compete. What I am saying is that it renders the collecting resources to pass the end tiles useless as the it only really matters who has collected the most shares through the game and often who has collected that particular share first.

The game will always descend into who can get the most shares before the end game.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In our 3 players game I won with this kind of strategy. I got 3 trains through the 4-star stock market while I had about 9 shares.

So I got 36+32+28= 96 points there points, also had majority in 3 compagnies, so an extra 45 points, so 141 points + all the points I made by delivering goods to get the shares + endgame points, so I ended up with 204 points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Martin
United States
Franklinton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that either Scott or Ted will chime in on this soon and provide some perspective?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Curry
msg tools
Avatar
mb
I did some math on this that shows just how powerful stocks are in the game. I made a variant that nerfs them to bring their power down to match the other west coast scoring tiles a bit closer. I also made a variant that makes gold tokens worth acquiring.

You can check it out here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27088681#27088681
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.