Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Query on movement, hunting, paranoia etc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
So I only started playing the game yesterday I was in the 3rd wave of shipping.

Just a couple questions. When moving you spend the cards on the movement ie. say 1+ to move, so say I wanted to move back to a tile to craft something as there is something on the terrain that I would need, I am presuming that I will have to spend movement again correct?? When you reveal a terrain card and there is something on it do you spend the movement first before you move into the tile or after you have completed the action and then spend the movement? (or does this not matter?)

Also you can move straight to a tile with another explorer without spending. When another explorer helps you with something I am presuming they will have to be on the same tile to do so correct?? and then if you fail then you both take paranoid??

Do you only take paranoid on a fail with co-op only?

I have read through a few of the forums avoiding spoilers and I notice a lot of people mentioning hunting, camping and eating. Does it tell you when to hunt? I have only had something to eat once so far and made a camp and ate, so when you move away from the terrain do you take the fire off for the next time?

Don't do what I did, I left part of the island and it said to put back all the cards and the cards from the past and then put out a new terrain tile, I went and put everything back including the tile that had the info on what to do next and which tiles to put out for the next point shake thankfully after some thinking I remembered the combined number that got me there laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonFly90 wrote:
So I only started playing the game yesterday I was in the 3rd wave of shipping.

Just a couple questions. When moving you spend the cards on the movement ie. say 1+ to move, so say I wanted to move back to a tile to craft something as there is something on the terrain that I would need, I am presuming that I will have to spend movement again correct?? When you reveal a terrain card and there is something on it do you spend the movement first before you move into the tile or after you have completed the action and then spend the movement? (or does this not matter?)


You spend the movement cost of the tile you are currently on, and if you succeed you can move to any tile connected by continuous terrain cards. If a terrain card you are not standing on has an action on it you would like to take, you first pay the move cost on your tile, move if you were successful, then you can take any actions you would like on that tile.

DragonFly90 wrote:
Also you can move straight to a tile with another explorer without spending. When another explorer helps you with something I am presuming they will have to be on the same tile to do so correct?? and then if you fail then you both take paranoid??


You get a discount (-1 card) to do the Move action to a tile with another explorer on it. Note that sometimes that makes the action free, but not always. Yes, an explorer needs to share your tile to assist you with an action, and failure results in paranoid for the both of you the active character.

DragonFly90 wrote:
Do you only take paranoid on a fail with co-op only?


Yes. Only if two explorers were in on the action do you does the active character get a paranoid state for failure.

DragonFly90 wrote:
I have read through a few of the forums avoiding spoilers and I notice a lot of people mentioning hunting, camping and eating. Does it tell you when to hunt? I have only had something to eat once so far and made a camp and ate, so when you move away from the terrain do you take the fire off for the next time?


Yes. Don't worry, the game will tell you when you can do certain things. Unless you have a white action symbol available to you, you can't do it.

As for fire, it stays on the tile that you made it. Just like going to tiles with explorers on them gets you a discount, so does going to a tile with fire on it. If you later need to make a fire and don't have a fire figure at your disposal, you move one from somewhere else on the board to your current location.

DragonFly90 wrote:
Don't do what I did, I left part of the island and it said to put back all the cards and the cards from the past and then put out a new terrain tile, I went and put everything back including the tile that had the info on what to do next and which tiles to put out for the next point shake thankfully after some thinking I remembered the combined number that got me there laugh


Haha, I've done that as well! blush

Edited to fix my errors!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have another tread over the Exploring the Continent section on pages 18-19. It appears you've made a few misassumptions about things that are confusing you.

As for your queries, each Terrain card connected to other Terrain cards will have some type of movement action (usually walking) that you must take to leave that card. You move to any other terrain card connected to the current one via other Terrain cards only.

You do not move to Exploration cards. Exploration cards have a pathfind action that connects to the terrain card/s they attach to via the golden chevrons. You can take this action from the Terrain cards the Exploration card is next to. Exploration cards will eventually be replaced, probably by a Terrain card, but that does not give you a free movement to that card or anything. You will need to use the movement action from your current card to actually get to the newly revealed Terrain.

Characters must be on the same terrain tile to help you with an action. Only the active player of the action will take a Paranoid card on failure, the characters that were helping out do not.

Some cards do have taking a 100 card as part of their consequences, so failed actions with a partner are not the only way.

Hunting is something you will need to discover for yourself. There are some telltale signs that can let you know when hunting might be available nearby, but I'll let you discover these for yourself.

You can only have as many fire tokens in play as the number of characters (although you'll have 4 if playing with a custom solo). You can make a new fire when all your tokens are already on the board, removing a prior token to place the new one. If Terrain with a fire token leaves play, it returns to your supply to use again later.

Edit: I did expect a ninja on this one...

Edit 2: Note that Shannon is incorrect about Paranoid. It definitely only goes to the active player of the action, not everybody involved.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right you are! I've been playing Solo only so should have checked the rules on the Paranoid thing before posting!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
brighterthanthesun wrote:
Right you are! I've been playing Solo only so should have checked the rules on the Paranoid thing before posting!


Me too, but I have two explorers I couldn't decide whether to go for two or one explorer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Clipper wrote:
Have another tread over the Exploring the Continent section on pages 18-19. It appears you've made a few misassumptions about things that are confusing you.

As for your queries, each Terrain card connected to other Terrain cards will have some type of movement action (usually walking) that you must take to leave that card. You move to any other terrain card connected to the current one via other Terrain cards only.

You do not move to Exploration cards. Exploration cards have a pathfind action that connects to the terrain card/s they attach to via the golden chevrons. You can take this action from the Terrain cards the Exploration card is next to. Exploration cards will eventually be replaced, probably by a Terrain card, but that does not give you a free movement to that card or anything. You will need to use the movement action from your current card to actually get to the newly revealed Terrain.

Characters must be on the same terrain tile to help you with an action. Only the active player of the action will take a Paranoid card on failure, the characters that were helping out do not.

Some cards do have taking a 100 card as part of their consequences, so failed actions with a partner are not the only way.

Hunting is something you will need to discover for yourself. There are some telltale signs that can let you know when hunting might be available nearby, but I'll let you discover these for yourself.

You can only have as many fire tokens in play as the number of characters (although you'll have 4 if playing with a custom solo). You can make a new fire when all your tokens are already on the board, removing a prior token to place the new one. If Terrain with a fire token leaves play, it returns to your supply to use again later.

Edit: I did expect a ninja on this one...

Edit 2: Note that Shannon is incorrect about Paranoid. It definitely only goes to the active player of the action, not everybody involved.


Right you are that makes sense, I re-read the rulebook for like the third time can't believe how much can be missed even through a couple of reads. I have been doing everything mostly right.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.