Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: The card I took from the game has been heavily modified and doesn't spoil any of the information that was on the original card.

Like many people have mentioned, losing all of your progress in the 7th Continent can be heartbreaking and frustrating. There have been many suggestions and thoughts on how to make this aspect of the game less soul crushing but none of them really appealed to me.

Having lost a few times to the Voracious Goddess, I've developed my own variant that I've been using that isn't just an extra life system to keep the game going. With this variant, if your game is over, it is still over. However, you get to leave some of your progress behind for your next explorer to discover. Introducing the Corpse Loot Variant.

This variant has been designed for solo play but it can be used for multiple players as well.

How it Works
When your character dies, you record the card number of his/her location in the large number box on the card below. Then you record the card numbers of up to 6 cards located under the "Satchel & Journal" card. Use the space in between the brackets to record the unique card ID of each card.

The following rules apply to the type of cards that can be recorded:
-Must have the Quest Item icon (book icon)

The following cards may not be recorded:
-The Pocket Watch
-The Curse Clue
-The Major Relic
-Any Card with the key word, "Major Quest".
-Experience Points
-Any card that gives a discount to purchasing Advanced Skills

Once the information has been recorded, place this card in the card holder in front of the location card where the explorer died.

Note: If playing with multiple explorers when the game ends in defeat, choose any of the locations where there is at least 1 explorer.

----------------------------------------------------------

When you play with your new explorer, after the standard exploration card has been resolved, place the corpse loot card in its place. The explorer has to resolve this card prior to getting the actual Adventure card with the location.

If successful, they get to add all the cards listed.
If unsuccessful, they get nothing.

If you already have one or more of the cards already listed on the card, simply ignore those.

I feel like this is a very mild way to feel like you haven't lost everything. Since you do not have not to waste resources attaining some of the Satchel & Journal cards, it may make subsequent games easier but still requires you to get to the corpse before you get the cards.

Also important to mention, I have not played any other curse other than the Voracious Goddess, so I don't know if the other curses would be ruined/too easy with this variant.

I'd be happy to hear others thoughts on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davey yaved
msg tools
Great idea I think. I'll try this. I have yet to play my first game, so my question could be silly, but except for experience points, why do you suggest some of the loot is nontransferable?

And yow did you make that excellent card graphic!?

I'm wondering if it might not be more fun and thematic to have someone not playing attach a post-it randomly to one of the terrain cards that had been played. That way you know there is a corpse to loot out there somewhere, but you'd have to look for it. Maybe that would be kinda boring though? It's the grind of restoring yourself to an earlier game state that people seem to be trying to avoid with all these variants... knowing just where to go seems like it might be too easy?

Thanks though. Such a cool idea!

Davey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the nontransferable loot is because it is stuff you begin the game with such as the optional pocket watch or major relic. And some of the other stuff is to not make this variant too easy.

As mentioned in the first line of the original post, the art is not mine. I scanned some of the cards and pieced together the icons that I needed.

Knowing where the body is, isn't really an issue. It will most likely be on the way to where you need to go anyway. Doing it any other way might mean you may never stumble upon it and thus make it potentially useless.

Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played yet, but this sounds like an excellent addition - will be printing one of these prior to my 1st failure!

Thanks very much for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Fischer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great Idea!

Put your variantes to the files-section! So they are more easy to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
There is no try...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second that - if the PDFs (or whatever format) could be placed in the files section then it would make it easier (and perhaps better quality) to make these
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clark
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks amazing.

Additional is spelled incorrectly on the card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mossquito wrote:
Second that - if the PDFs (or whatever format) could be placed in the files section then it would make it easier (and perhaps better quality) to make these

The poor quality is a result of my scanner not being the greatest. Sorry about that.

K_Lark wrote:
Looks amazing.

Additional is spelled incorrectly on the card :)

Thanks, I caught that after I uploaded but was waiting to see if there were going to be any other changes before I corrected it.

I actually had a thought of changing the text on the success that instead of Banishing the card, you would destroy it completely. Thematically it doesn't make sense that the corpse would be there in future and it would prevent the card's abuse in future plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Örtegren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you very much for this! Did you change any of the handwritten text on the card, if so, do you know the name of the font? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bevilacqua
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I did. I believe it was called Segoe Print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very nice design

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.