Scythe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Which Factory card is the best? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finn Iversen
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Been playing a few games of Scythe and I just bought my own box. Been contemplating over the Factory cards trying to figure out which card(s) would more or less always be advantageous if you were able to get to the Factory and choose one from the draw pile.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think none are best since the conditions of the game when you pick one are all going to be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
finding the best one for you when you get to the factory is kind of the entire point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It depends on the game and the faction/player mat combo that you're using. I tend to like ones that use combat cards, but it all depends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Pham
msg tools
mb
That'/ right it creates a whole new use for combat card which is useless by the end of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kinne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also depends when in the game you get to the Factory. I have found that later in the game you might still be trying to get your popularity higher, in which case a card that allows you to get more popularity is great.

Sometimes its best if you can build buildings cheaply, if you don't have the resources yourself and/or want to focus on something else.

So it does really depend on faction, player mat and what stage in the game you get the Factory card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
The one with the bottom action that allows you to move 1 unit 2 hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Zappala
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with all the above responses.
The value of the factories are all relative, and ALL the BEST depending on the session.

That being said, I prefer the factories where you pay a popularity.
Factories are best if you have them earlier in the game.
Popularity is *almost* useless early in the game, and if you have an early factory, you are likely the ONLY one with a factory, and you are likely looking for the shortest game possible.

During shorter/domination games, you are trying to win quickly before the popularity race ramps up. In the rare case that popularity does matter, paying a popularity for an action that creates a popularity engine (like recruiting building into popularity, or upgrading trade-popularity, or building a monument) usually net you at least 2 popularity, and as much as around 7 or 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Müller
msg tools
When you choose a Factory Crad, go for that one action, where you normally are not able to get a star for. Either because the according bottom action on your player mat is too expensive in ressources and/or the coin reward is too small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.