Hide
7 Posts

Thunderbolt Apache Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: Superior Ordnance Rules variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Gallant
msg tools
I was reading the latest Rules FAQ version 1.13 I downloaded from this forum to make sure I wasn't reasking questions. I came across this "Superior Ordnance Rules" question on page 33. It refers to weapons that were not expended during the mission. The answer eluded to paying SO points at the start of a campaign to be able to retain OPs for another mission. I have thrown a lot of weapons away after the mission, or wasted them on targets thinking they were going to be lost after the mission anyway. I am very eager to hear more about this.

1. Am I reading the answer the correct way? Is there a way to not "lose" those weapons or the points. Because also there are homeward bound events that cause, or give you the option to expend them.

2. How does it really read? I cannot find it in the rule book. Only Fueling priority and the single weapon attacks for certain weapons related to weight points or retaining weapons.

3. And most importantly, what does it cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to the DVG webite page for TAL I believe you will find it there. Its not in the rulebook because it was released later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's the rule as I downloaded it from DVG's site about three years ago. If it's been revised since, then I'm not aware as I haven't checked:

Superior Ordnance Crews
8/2/12

Overview
This rule allows you to reclaim Ordnance points spent on Ordnance that was armed, but not used.

Rules
When you select your forces at the start of a Campaign, pay 1 SO point for every 2 Days of the Situation’s duration, rounding up.
Example: You decide to play a 5 Day Situation. Selecting this option costs you 3 SO points.

At the end of each Mission, reclaim the Ordnance points spent on any Ordnance counters that your Aircraft end the Mission with.
Example: At the end of a Mission, your Aircraft return with 2 AGM-65s (1 point each) and 1 LAU-61 (1 point). You reclaim 3 Ordnance points.
Note reclaimed Ordnance points on your Player Log.

(Italics are mine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gallant
msg tools

That sounds easy to follow. Does the reclaimed Ordnance points count in the total cost of SO points that aircraft are armed up with for the next mission?

Example: 1. Said A-10 comes back with 3 unused Ordnance points. So for the next mission that this A-10 is flying, only 11 more need to be bought for a full 14?

2. Say you had 4 reclaimed Ordnance points, so instead of paying 2 SO points for the 14 on a next mission, it would only cost you 1 since you only needed to buy 10 more?

While we are speaking of OPs, SOs, and WPs. What are your thoughts on this.
When flying into a rear area band where there are WP penalties, like Enemy Transit (-2 WPs). If you do not use the Fueling Priority, these effect each aircraft, correct?
Additionally, if you are flying with 2 less WPs, and you draw a Pylon marker that is -2, does that take off 2 more that you are flying with at the time of the hit, or two from your total ability to carry?

I.E. A-10 is flying with 12 WPs. Has dropped 4, so he is carrying 8 more. He draws a pylon (-2) hit marker. Is he down to carrying 6 now, or is he free to keep going until he ends up drawing 2 more pylon hits before he starts losing munitions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1) Keep in mind that you've already paid for the weapons! So if you come back home with four OP worth of weapons, you get to add those weapons to your next mission while ignoring them when calculating SO costs... because again, you've already paid the SO cost for them.

Though be mindful that in this situation, you'll be facing two issues: - You'll still have to pay at least 1 SO if you add any additional OPs to your loadout (remember that any fraction of 10 OPs cost one SO). So use your reclaimed OPs wisely.
- Also, although the reclaimed OPs can sort of be considered "free" for a future mission, you still have each aircraft's weight limitations to consider, so it's not like it's a weapons bonanza or anything.

2) I'm re-reading your first example... Note that you don't have to use the reclaimed OPs on the same aircraft for it's next mission. By the way I read the rules, those reclaimed OPs can be used on any aircraft for any future mission. Thematically, think of a fighter returning to base with unused weapons. Those weapons simply go back to the ready line and are loaded on the next aircraft that needs them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gallant
msg tools
I didn't think of that aspect of it. That may really come on handy.

While we are speaking of OPs, SOs, and WPs. What are your thoughts on this.
When flying into a rear area band where there are WP penalties, like Enemy Transit (-2 WPs). If you do not use the Fueling Priority, these effect each aircraft, correct?
Additionally, if you are flying with 2 less WPs, and you draw a Pylon marker that is -2, does that take off 2 more that you are flying with at the time of the hit, or two from your total ability to carry?

I.E. A-10 is flying with 12 WPs. Has dropped 4, so he is carrying 8 more. He draws a pylon (-2) hit marker. Is he down to carrying 6 now, or is he free to keep going until he ends up drawing 2 more pylon hits before he starts losing current munitions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 from your total ability to carry, which MAY mean you will have to jettison some stuff if your current load is now over the limit, or not if your current load is under the new limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.