Hide
2 Posts

7 Wonders: Manneken Pis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mannekin Pis - different versions and rule change? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe H
msg tools
I have a couple questions about Mannekin Pis. I recently got the Wonder Pack and we've played with MP a few times.

However, in reading up online, I've come across pictures of a (previous?) version where the MP Side A Stage 3 allows for copying either the left OR right neighbor's third wonder stage. In the Wonder Pack rules it says for Stage 3, “the player applies the effects of the last Stage of the Wonder board to their left.”

What’s the history behind both versions, and which one is newer? Why was it changed?

Also, I’ve seen various posts stating that the MP Wonder Stages only cost 2 resources. However, the Wonder Pack rules say “the construction costs of the Mannekin Pis Stages are identical to those of the Stages copied.” Where is the 2 resource claim coming from?

Final question - I’ve read various threads conjecturing how it works when Mannekin Pis is sitting adjacent to a Wonder with only 2 stages. Has there been a definitive clarification from Antoine Bauza as to how they interact? The official Wonder Pack rules are worded as:

“Stage 1: The player applies the effect of the first Stage of the Wonder board to their left.

Stage 2: The player applies the effect of the second Stage of the Wonder board to their right.

Stage 3: The player applies the effect of the last Stage of the Wonder board to their left.”

I’m wondering if it’s intentionally worded as “last Stage” rather than “third Stage”? (So if I’m Mannekin Pis and Rhodos B is to my left, I can copy their second stage with my third wonder stage)

Any clarification would be appreciated - thanks!

EDIT: I didn't realize the original promo rules were right there in the Files section. For others' reference, they can be found here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
The original wonder came out as a special promotional card. You'll notice on the B side of the wonder that one of the rewards is a glass of beer. That was obviously removed when the wonder was included in the Wonder Pack. I am not sure why they got rid of the choose either neighbour provision in the Wonder Pack edition, but we play with the old rules regarding that card and allow players to choose the third stage of either neighbour.

I'm not sure the answer to your second question. I always play that you pay the price of the wonder just like normal.

Since MP was released as a promo, it has had unforeseen glitches. Assume it means "last stage" and not "third stage". Because everybody (except the MP B-side) has at least two stages, it should never really be a conflict unless you happen to choose the same wonder for both the second and third stage (if you play where players can choose the third stage). Hey! Maybe that's why they took away the choosing option. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.