Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: Gaia Project vs Eclipse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone - with the this being a sci-fi version of TM - how do people think it compares to Eclipse? I realize that the mechanics will be vastly different between the games but do you think the experience would be the same? E.g. managing and developing a race to colonist planets? Our group is a big fan of TM so I was excited to see a space-based theme on it. At the same time (I think other posters have mentioned), I hope the game doesn't too "samey" as TM.

I guess the question does Gaia scratch the same itch as a type of space-based game as Eclipse? Or another way - if you have TM and looking to get a space type of game - would it get Gaia or Eclipse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:
Hi everyone - with the this being a sci-fi version of TM - how do people think it compares to Eclipse? I realize that the mechanics will be vastly different between the games but do you think the experience would be the same? E.g. managing and developing a race to colonist planets? Our group is a big fan of TM so I was excited to see a space-based theme on it. At the same time (I think other posters have mentioned), I hope the game doesn't too "samey" as TM.

I guess the question does Gaia scratch the same itch as a type of space-based game as Eclipse? Or another way - if you have TM and looking to get a space type of game - would it get Gaia or Eclipse?

I've not played any version of GP yet (I wasn't involved in playtesting, unlike many on here) - so do take my words with a grain of salt. But I cannot see GP being in any sense a rival for Eclipse. I'm pretty sure it's "just" TM with a space theme and some additional/changed mechanics - being very "Euro" in its philosophy. It certainly isn't a 4X game, and won't have any combat or any "exploration". And no randomness either.

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong - but personally I'm excited by GP because it promises to be a better version of TM (already my favourite game), not because it's a "space game" (whatever that means).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Sannholm
Sweden
Uddevalla
flag msg tools
Check out my Youtube channel, Boardgames with Niramas for Board game Runthroughs and Unboxings!
badge
www.Youtube.com/c/BoardgameswithNiramas
mbmbmbmbmb
Only thing these two games have in common is the theme I would say...well removing a figure to put it on the board and then get whats underneath on the playermat as income also

Check out my full playthrough to learn more about Gaia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT4lYbri8y0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Brankov
Serbia
Novi Sad
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse and Gaia Project can be compared only by few things:
1. Theme and color of space tiles.
2. Shape of technology tiles.
3. Placing structure on a planet and uncovering higher income on your player board at the same time.
4. Returning structures from planets to your player board and covering income.

The huge difference is that there is no destructive actions in GP, there is no moving and there is no exploring which will definitely make all the difference for many players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
dukelander wrote:
The huge difference is that there is no destructive actions in GP, there is no moving and there is no exploring which will definitely make all the difference for many players.
This! TM/GP are about colonizing empty areas, which then are yours for the rest of the game. Eclipse is about kicking others (NSC or SC) from areas, then fight to keep them or have them being taken away from you again.

Besides the theme, GP and Eclipse really have nothing in common. And I'm glad that's so because I don't like Eclipse but love TM, so if GP were anything like Eclipse, I'd avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:

no. they are very different games. GP has no direct conflict and there's no Xtermination in it. outside of strong asymetry of player powers and the space theme I'd be hard pressed to find similarities.

if you're looking for something like Eclipse you might try Burning Suns. I watched it played recently and it seemed very similar to Eclipse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
Its Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can confirm, not even close. Played Eclipse Sunday, played Gaia Project last night. Eclipse is a 4X game. Gaia Project is a 2X Expand & Exploit. Puerto Rico in Space on Space Steroids.

Give it a try though, it was more fun that I thought it would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony a
msg tools
Eclipse is my favourite game of all time. I have played Gaia Project a few times now and really love it also. In some ways it's a bit like eclipse. Asymmetric factions and advancing your races technologies and instead of building ships your building buildings. Has a bit of the feeling/ satisfaction if you play eclipse as the plants or a non aggressive race. Like others have pointed out there is no conflict, no exploration, no dice rolling. There seems to be very little chance. I might consider this a bit of a gateway game for Eclipse. A bigger game with lots of decisions and a space theme. BUT it is much much shorter. Even without the conflict I still like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
givener wrote:
There seems to be very little chance.
There's zero chance in GP.

Unless of course you consider the unpredictably strange behavior of your opponents, and your own "it felt like a good idea at the time" decisions as random effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Kahánek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GP and Eclipse - absolutely different games. GP is mathy euro, lot of planning, timing, resources calculations, no luck. In Eclipse you are also planning, but there are so many random factors and people can make decisions/attacks, which have much bigger influence on your game. You do not have situation under your control like in GP. If two players in Eclipse make a decision to eliminate you, you have a problem and you can hardly do anything. Anyway I love both games. If we want to test our skills, we play GP, if we want to play just for fun, we play Eclipse which is more like some sci-fi story...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.