Hide
13 Posts

Fortress America» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Void Stalker
msg tools
Ok, I found a thread and a fellow there asked if anyone could post all the cards in the game, so I wanted to do a thread that had all the cards in it anyway, so here goes.

I break up the 30 cards into 3 groupings, the largest of which is 12 cards, and the other two 8/10 respectively, but now I'm thinking about just putting all three groups up, and then doing 3 cards at a time.

First group, The Sectors

12 cards, 3 each in the E-S-RM-W sectors. These are the only cards in the game that specifically require placement in those 4 sectors.

The second group, The Heartland.

Note, not the Plains Sector, but the plains sector plus some other cards that usually demand placement in an exact territory --- Like the boston mountains, or "Adjacent to St. Louis" cards.

Third Group, General cards, good anywhere.

These last 10 partisan cards can be placed/used in any/all sectors, mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
In the Sectors pic, we get the 3 cards specific to the 4 sectors other than plains.

Western Sector;

first card is one of two that actually kill something in the sector specific group. Card says "Not good in cities", but allows USA player to kill one (Any unit type) in the western sector, and place the reinforcements in the same or adjacent territory. The card says nothing about placing troops in the same territory, but it also says nothing about placing them separately, and it also doesn't require the troops granted to be placed within the western sector specifically, but rather calls for them to be placed in the same, OR ADJACENT, territory in which you killed the invader unit, which could be a Southern or RM sector territory as well as a western sector territory.

Any thoughts on this card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
The second Western sector specific card

gives us a much simpler situation, but still more complex than the final card. The card kills nothing, and these troops can be spread out (at the USA players sole discretion) between two territories, or concentrated in just one. There is no REQUIREMENT to place them separately, nor an ALLOWANCE to place them in more than two territories. And in this case, there is no ambiguity about the reinforcements having to be placed within a western sector territory or two.

Any thoughts on this card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
The final western sector specific card

Is the easiest of the three to play, just a straight out, here are your guys, place them in one territory!

Any thoughts or comments on any of these three cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
Now for the rocky mountain sector, I'm going to list all three cards in one post, as I think that will be quicker and better, so here goes;

All three cards give troops, one says place separately where possible, one says in one territory, and one doesn't say one way or another. My own feelings on the whole "Place units separately" issue is, if the card says you can or must, then do so, but if not, then everybody given by that particular card is required to go into the same territory.

**NOTE, the "Adjacent to St Louis" card later**

Any thoughts or comments on these three cards specific to the rocky mountain sector?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
The three partisan cards specific to the Southern Sector:

The second card in the southern sector does functionally the same thing as the first card we covered in the western sector, namely kills something, and then grants reinforcements to be placed within the same territory that you killed (Any 1 invading Unit), or in a adjacent territory to that one.

The first and third cards just grant reinforcements, and one specifies separately where possible, on one does not.

Any thoughts or comments one these three southern sector specific cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
These are the last of the sector specific group of cards, omitting those in the plains sector.
Like always, we have cards that grant reinforcements, and like always, we need to pay attention the where the USA player can/must place separately, and where they cannot.

I think that everyone that plays this game ought to take a quiz of all thirty cards, and be able to state which cards fall into which of the three groups, and when the USA can, or must, or cannot, place units separately, as I think that such a simple thing could resolve so many headaches and game play delays while sitting at the table.

Any way, this post concludes the 12 cards that make up the "Sector Specific" group, and leave me too just post the other two groups, the "Heartland group", and the "General group" pictured up thread. So I'll finish these up later.

Any thoughts so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
Now for the "General group" or partisan cards. The following 9 cards are not tied to one of the five sectors on the map, and so I grouped them separately from those 12 cards that specifically target 4 of the five sectors, and from those other 9 cards that mainly deal with troops reinforcing the "Heartland" part of the map, mainly in and around the Plains Sector.

The first card of this group

Is, to my thinking, far more versatile than previous kill & place cards of the previous group. This card kills (2 of ANY unit) in any mountain territory anywhere on the map, retreating any remaining invader units left there (and killing any remaining invader units that cannot retreat), and then take over that territory by placing the reinforcements in the now unoccupied territory!

The wheatfield thrashers;

no killing, no retreating, but 4 partisan units, placed in aig resource territories, anywhere on the map, all on the same turn, from a single card? Gotta love that.

Legions of Liberty

weaker than the first kill/place card, both because you don't actually get any reinforcement troops and that the 2 units you get to kill HAVE to be infantry units, it still is nice to be able to look over the entire map, and pick and choose which non-city territory that you whish to strip of 2 infantry units!

The fourth General card;

Major Airlift!!! Read the card, need we say more?

5th card.

The Miners! Like the Wheatfield thrashers card, but far more powerful,
as the miners don't need to be placed in unoccupied territories, but rather retreat all enemy forces from 4 separate min resource territories, and, oh yes, destroy any invader units unable to retreat!!!

6th card.

Undoubtedly the weakest of the three resource territory specific partisan cards, this on gives no reinforcements, and just kills 1 (Any Unit), in two different Oil resource territories. Not bad, mind you, but not like the card above.

7th card

This one is a bit strange, as it specifically targets the "Yellow Hoards", hovertank and mobile units in any one territory (other than a city), anywhere on the map, but doesn't allow use against either of the other invaders units.

8th card

Like the Major Airlift card, this partisan card too can be used in enemy controlled cities. In fact, back in the day, I remember those two cards coming in on the same turn, with the MA following right after this card, in a game where the SW corner had just a single infantry in each of the cities there. Needless to say, that late in the game, with the lasers hitting 1/2 the rearguard forces, and two cities gifted back to the USA before the first shot was fired, ended in a resounding USA victory.

8th and final "General card"

Clear weather. Not a card you want on the first turn, but surely one you want to see later on, when the laser strikes are coming hot and heavy, and the fate of the USA hangs in the balance...

So those were the 9 cards I grouped into the revised "General Group", because it seemed better to have 2 groups of 9 cards, than one of 10 and one of 8.

Any thoughts so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Reece
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
"weaker than the first kill/place card, both because you don't actually get any reinforcement troops and that the 2 units you get to kill HAVE to be infantry units, it still is nice to be able to look over the entire map, and pick and choose which non-city territory that you whish to strip of 2 infantry units!"

That card does not say "not good in cities"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
EdFactor wrote:

"weaker than the first kill/place card, both because you don't actually get any reinforcement troops and that the 2 units you get to kill HAVE to be infantry units, it still is nice to be able to look over the entire map, and pick and choose which non-city territory that you whish to strip of 2 infantry units!"

That card does not say "not good in cities"
Good catch!

The question is, given that partisan cards cannot be used to PLACE units into unoccupied enemy controlled cities by default, does this also mean that you cannot use them to pick off invader garrisons within cities as well? I know folks that take this either way, so I think it is worth discussing here, and getting a consensus, so that everyone is on the same sheet of music. Personally, back in the day, I know I used it to take out garrisons in enemy held cities, but now, decades later, I wonder if that was correct or not. We should probably get a thread about this one card going, and have everyone put their 2 cents in, to get a feel for how it is being played.

The other thing is:

This card specifically mentions city territories, and if in general it is ok, why does one mention it and one does not? Makes me wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. J. Hastings
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VoidStalker wrote:
This card specifically mentions city territories, and if in general it is ok, why does one mention it and one does not? Makes me wonder.

My reading: this card mentions cities because its effect is limited to cities only.

Of course, this is consistent with either reading of the other "Legions" card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
Thanks for the responses!

You found door number 3.

Door #1 cards (May) be allowed in cities, USA players choice.
Door #2 cards (May not) be allowed in cities, rule (mis)interpretation.
Door #3 cards can be required to be used in cities, leaving first two unresolved.

I think I better get the rest of the cards listed ASAP, as we are going to start seeing many folks coming in here and make a case for or against, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Void Stalker
msg tools
Ok, now for the last 9 partisan cards! I'm doing these in lots of three, and hope that this works well. First lot, from the "Heartland Group"

Of the three above, the "National guard" and the "Angry rebels" cards are easy and straightforward. The "Army Veterans" card seems simple enough, but does the wording allow for the reinforcements to be in separate territories? Together says no, but (Adjacent to St Louis) might be interpreted as meaning as long as each guy is adjacent, whether or not in the same territory, they are "Together". Seen this one played both ways, as well.

Second three

Simple, straightforward, no doubts about it! Gotta love that.

Third three

And of these last three, only the "Boston Mountains" card offers anythng complex, and not really that complex. Place your guys there, retreat enemies' guys, or kill them in they cannot retreat.

Did I miss anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.