Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: I liked the game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Angel Fernandez Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My first ones games were fun, but I lost. I went go playing, trying to modify my way of playing...and lost. Even I modified a little the rules...but I lost. I really like the aesthetic of the game and the idea, but it's impossible to win, soon or later you get 2 wounds and lose. And the option of then using another character is ridiculous. It's a pity but I think the game is not tested enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with my girlfriend and preteen daughter and we won despite accidentally making the game more difficult for ourselves. We were drawing four cards each round instead of three (we usually play four-player).

It took us our fourth play until we were able to win, and we just barely won. There are some tactics you will learn as you gain more experience with the game. For example, I believe the decision which ultimately led us to our first win was allowing Sasha to absorb all the wounds from two Archenemy Titans instead of spreading the wounds between us. She died, "trashing" several wounds, keeping everyone's deck from being polluted with wounds.

After dying, it is to your advantage to choose another character. You can pick one that best suits your situation and you enter the board in any district of your choice. Also, dying allows you to trash wounds, making your deck stronger.

It is not impossible. Difficult, but not impossible. I believe this game isn't designed to be won every time. It requires a lot of skill and a bit of luck. The more I play, the more I understand that skill and experience trumps luck.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I believe this game isn't designed to be won every time. It requires a lot of skill and a bit of luck. The more I play, the more I understand that skill and experience trumps luck

Correct, co-op games should NOT be easy to win, otherwise it isn't much of a game.

Feel free to start by using all of the 'easy mode' suggestions in the rules until you can win reliably enough, then work up to standard.

How many players are you trying with? 1 is quite a bit different than 2-3, which is quite different than 4-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
dcorban wrote:
After dying, it is to your advantage to choose another character.

The strategies for Solo vs. Co-op vary somewhat, as letting your main Hero die in Solo isn't viable. That's an automatic game over.

Game's bloody hard, no pun intended, but it /is/ well tested. It's just balanced against experienced players who know the best strategies, Titan Ambush effects and cards well. The decisions you make early can have huge repercussions for the later game.

At least at first, I'd suggest taking all the 'Easier' variants presented in the rules; not using the Titans on Attack cards, removing all Wounds if a Hero dies, not adding more than one card to a District (for solo).

Additional 'Easier' suggestions for Solo:

• At the start of each round, choose between your Hero's ability /or/ one of your secondary Hero's abilities to use for that turn.
• If your main Hero dies, you can have one of your two secondary Heroes take over.
• Take out the ArchEnemy Titan 4's, just play with the first three bosses.
• During Setup, reduce the number of cards in Main Deck Pile #6 and add them to Pile #1. (This gives you more time before the Smiling Titan shows up.) For even easier, push all the ArchEnemy Titans back one Pile during Setup.

Things to Remember:
• Wounds can be managed with the Hospital or Food cards. Not getting anything to mitigate incoming damage makes for a tough game indeed.
• Long Distance Scouting Formation is incredibly powerful in low-Hero count games/solo. It lets you see up to four turns ahead and arrange those cards so that they'll fall how you want them to.
Fuel Canisters, if acquired early, represents constant gains. As long as you can get one of your supporting Heroes into your space, it's four free Power and Move when drawn.
• Cards that offer Power boosts early on are key. The first Archenemy almost always shows up earlier than you want it to.

Keep adjusting the game until it's right for you - there's no wrong way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ananda74 wrote:
My first ones games were fun, but I lost. I went go playing, trying to modify my way of playing...and lost. Even I modified a little the rules...but I lost. I really like the aesthetic of the game and the idea, but it's impossible to win, soon or later you get 2 wounds and lose. And the option of then using another character is ridiculous. It's a pity but I think the game is not tested enough.

i played it 9 times: 3 victories and 6 defeats. it's a good score for me.

in fact, i was rejected for lord of the rings lcg or arkham horror lcg because the high rate of defeats. and these game had a lot of acceptance.

may be are you playing wrong? getting 2 wounds is not a dead for the character meanwhile the 2 wounds are not "together"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Fernandez Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play with 2 characters and think apply the rules correctly. I think I'll have to let a character gains all the wounds till die as says Daniel. I didn't think that possiblity. I'll try again! 😅. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Wounds can be a bit tricky!

You don't immediately die on taking two or more Wounds at once (unless there's already a Wound in play for that Hero). All Wounds gained go into your discard pile. Otherwise Wounds only affect your Hero when they're drawn from the deck. When a Hero has an in play Wound, taking one or more Wounds from Titans or drawing another Wound kills them. Don't forget to discard Wounds at the beginning of your next turn, before playing any other cards (including another Wound). Your Hero doesn't die if they have only one Wound in consecutive hands since the previous round's Wound gets discarded before the next one comes into play.

Check out some of the other threads in this forum for better explanations of Wounds and how they work, it's a topic that comes up pretty frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ananda74 wrote:
I play with 2 characters and think apply the rules correctly. I think I'll have to let a character gains all the wounds till die as says Daniel. I didn't think that possiblity. I'll try again! 😅. Thanks.

Character-wise, stay away from Sasha and Hange. Sasha isn't that great with <4 people, and Hange is kind of tricky. Probably skip Mikasa too.
From the rest, would definitely recommend one person be either Levi or Conny, as they are straight forward, and the power boost is very useful.

My general strategy is to pick some players to be "attack" and others to be "support". For only 2 players, one person should be full attack, the other should be half-n-half.

"Attack" skips buying most of the Move/utility cards, and focuses on being able to kill anything and everything. Don't neglect Move entirely, as you still need to get to the Titans to kill them. Levi/Conny/Eren make better Attack characters.

"Support" buys the most Move/utility cards, but still maintains enough Power to be a threat and help with the big Titans. Armin/Erwin make better Support characters.

Also, don't be afraid to (semi-)purposely let a few walls fall early. It greatly reduces the amount of Move needed to get where you need to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.