Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Lewicki
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just got done opening all my Empire at War packs (2+ boxes worth), and I'm satisfied with what I got. But I am still short of a complete set, and Ibought a good portion of the packs available at 2 FLGS. If the game is really going to survive, I can't see it happening without an LCG model. The recently-released updated starter sets are a great example of how the game could be presented going forward. Here's hoping FFG finds a way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I may be out in left field here, but I would suspect that almost everyone agrees with this ... (that it should be an LCG). Or IOW, If there's a mass of people that far prefer the CCG model over the LCG model, then I'd like to know that just to be corrected if for nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a complete rerelease(like what happened with Game of Thrones when it went from CCG to LCG), it wont happen.

Of course you are short of a complete set. At best you would have only gotten 12 of the 17 Legendary cards(assuming no dupes). It would be possible to make 1 set of Rares with up to 17 dupes. You could have a full uncommon set with up to 30 duplicates (putting you just 12 cards short of a 2nd uncommon set). You would most likely be able to make 3 common sets with 16 cards short of a 4th if life was perfect.

FFG is going to try to milk this as long as they can (its always possible they could lose their Star Wars license when it comes up for renewal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure 100% of customers agree with this notion. But FFG have managed to find a property where they are getting away with the cash printing collectible model and I can't imagine anyone in the business world thinking it a good idea to turn away from whats happening. Even if a few cycles from now the things sales go WAY down it'd probably still be on par with their typical LCGs from a profit perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the huge sales volume so far I don't think there is any concern at all about survival - Destiny actually in its short life beat out Pokemon to become the #2 best selling CCG this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
Canada
Maple Ridge
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with the move to LCG model. I don't think the game is set up to support such a model and love the huge influx of cards 3 times a year. I find the mass changes in meta far more challenging and fun than a tiny change every month. If the ccg model bothers you and your buying 2+ boxes already just buy the saga sets team covenant sells and you'll get almost everything. Really hope this game stays the course👍🏻

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it's funny because if Destiny were an LCG, you would still get posts calling them money grabbers because you "are forced to buy the game twice in order to play the full game". Or the classic "Why don't they make a top-off pack? I would gladly pay $15-$20 to get a top-off pack".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would like this game as an LCG, but they have said over and over that this game would not be viable this way because of production costs.

A full set of awakenings would need 67x2= 130 dice. The production cost of each of these dice is at least one dollar, right? Add in the costs of the cards, development, art, etc and you see why they made this game into a collectible one.

A good thing of random boosters is that the starter set + a small number of boosters will make you some usable decks. How small would be the smallest investment you need in an lcg to have viable decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think LCG's are great when you're into the tournament scene, but with this game I actually love that it's not.

I mainly play with my two brothers and we have always split boxes between us. So the playing field is kind of level (as far as collection size). I love the aspect that the three of us can create completely different decks and that we have the trading aspect going on. I totally missed that part in the LCG's that I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the CCG business model as long as there is a viable way to pay limited (Draft / Sealed)and it is supported by the producer.

So many cards in this set are simply useless where in your typical magic set, sure you might only use a small amount of cards but at least the rest of the "junk" cards can be played with in limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lewicki
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On reflection, my original post was pretty much a "duh" thought. I should have been a bit more specific.

- There is no local community at either of my FLGS. That's mostly a function of the stores not trying to cultivate one, but it doesn't help that the people who are heavily invested in the games are buying ALL of the available product on Day 1, leaving the bulk of casual players to wait until Wave 2. They could ration the packs, but that'd drive business to the online retailers.

- Nothing was pre-orderable with the FLGS. Since they don't know when they'll get stuff in, or how much, they refrained from allowing pre-orders. This feeds the first point above, where because you don't have anything reserved for you, you buy as much as you can the moment it is available.

- While I get that the production costs may make CCG the only viable format, it doesn't mean that they need to make such a huge disparity in the dice rarities, or that the dice rarities need to be uniform across character die and non-character die. Going to a model where character die were uniform rarity and only the supplemental die were "legendary" might make the game more accessible.

- They could certainly make the non-die cards into an LCG format. I'm assuming the starter decks aren't meant to be money-makers, because their model of fixed dice and cards was really appealing.

- Seems like way less chatter on BGG about EoW than I would have expected. What other sites are people going to to get their fix?

One last point: kudos to FFG for spoiling so much of the content, and allowing fan-related sites to do the spoiling. One thing I really like about LCGs is the limited amount of new information that you have to ingest when new content is released. By spoiling stuff over multiple months, it's much easier to consume the information, and keep up interest for new product even if it isn't yet available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for potential decks and discussion your best bet is either the reddit sub (reddit.com/r/swdestiny) or the DB (swdestinydb.com).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sageleader sageleader
msg tools
I played Star Wars: LCG for a year and wasn't a huge fan. While I didn't mind the LCG format because everyone has the same cards, it gets annoying to have to buy everything.

CCG is definitely more expensive but I also have the ability to trade, buy singles, and have the thrill of opening packs not knowing what I'll get. I enjoy it more and would be sad if Destiny moved to LCG.

I like CCG because I can have fun with decks and buy cards here and there without breaking the bank. In LCGs you often have to buy an entire set to reap the synergy benefits. It's also annoying when a card you really like is in a shitty set, because it means if you want to play with it you end up taking crappy cards with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.