Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Any reason to multiple expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question as I think I may get into Imperial Assault:

Is there any reason why someone would want to buy multiple copies of an expansion, whether for the Skirmish game or for the campaign mode?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For campaign there is no reason to. But for skirmish you might want to.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
SirKittyJuice wrote:
Quick question as I think I may get into Imperial Assault:

Is there any reason why someone would want to buy multiple copies of an expansion, whether for the Skirmish game or for the campaign mode?


For the Campaign game, you can get away with one of each expansion. There are a couple of expansions where having a 2nd set would allow you to field multiple units but rarely would you want to. Hired Guns is one, ISB another and Captain Terro is the 3rd, I believe. These allow both a regular and elite to be in play (and in the case of the Capt, himself and a generic).

For skirmish, it depends what you want to play. You could have several of the same if you were trying to build a specific army and wanted multiple of the same type. Unique characters would still only be 1 of each though, which are all your named characters (Terro being an exception as mentioned above and if you wanted more than 3 AT-ST's - if that is even a legal build).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Montgomery
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also worth mentioning about the Captain Terro expansion is that it comes with a choice of two sculpts to sit atop the dewback. If you're weak-willed like me, you'll need a second copy just to have both versions assembled. (Or use magnets and swap them on a single dewback.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
SirKittyJuice wrote:
Quick question as I think I may get into Imperial Assault:

Is there any reason why someone would want to buy multiple copies of an expansion, whether for the Skirmish game or for the campaign mode?


For the Campaign game, you can get away with one of each expansion. There are a couple of expansions where having a 2nd set would allow you to field multiple units but rarely would you want to. Hired Guns is one, ISB another and Captain Terro is the 3rd, I believe. These allow both a regular and elite to be in play (and in the case of the Capt, himself and a generic).



And Jawas!

Also, some units (like Weequay and Jet Troopers) contain more deployment cards (and therefore, more possible campaign deployments) than sculpts.

Since possible campaign deployments is based on the number of deployment cards in a single expansion (and not a specific number across the board, like in skirmish), then in these cases you could technically benefit from multiple box copies... but that's some serious diminishing returns, and unless you're really looking for something to do with your money, it's probably not worth it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
Also, some units (like Weequay and Jet Troopers) contain more deployment cards (and therefore, more possible campaign deployments) than sculpts.

Since possible campaign deployments is based on the number of deployment cards in a single expansion (and not a specific number across the board, like in skirmish), then in these cases you could technically benefit from multiple box copies.

You have to be careful. The rules tell you which ones you can deploy multiple of but it is NOT based on the number of deployment cards you have but the specific rules granted by each expansion.

For example, the Stormtrooper expansion does NOT allow you to bring in more Stormtroopers into the campaign. Besides the side mission and cards, there is little reason to get this for campaign only.

I don't recall the specifics of the newer ones like Jet Troopers and Weequay, but the pool of expansions that could be legally doubled up was very limited.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Regarding the campaign, Campaign deployments are limited by the number of figures and deployment cards for the big box expansions. Jabba's Realm specifically mentions that you can only bring two jet trooper groups out at a time regardless of extra copies.

As was mentioned earlier, some blister packs will let you bring out two groups at the same time.

Hired Guns - regular and elite
ISB enforcers - regular and elite
Dewback rider - regular and Captain Terro
Jawa Scavenger - regular and elite
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stl0369 wrote:
Dewback rider - regular and Captain Terro

Not quite. Dewback Rider is elite.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.