Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "blitz" option comes to a screeching halt when you have a leaver. Everyone else gets to sit there for 15 minutes doing absolutely nothing before the AI takes over. I'd really like to see this timer reduced down to maybe 3 or 4 minutes max.

As far as I can tell there's no penalty for abandoning a game, but the other players get punished with the extra long wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to add my voice to this issue.

Something needs to be done about the long wait times. Almost every game I've been in has suffered from one or both of the following:

1) Someone just quits and doesn't concede. This forces all the other players to sit there for upwards of 20 minutes waiting for the timer. I'm not sure what the best solution here is, but perhaps a combination of (a) prompting the user to concede when they close the app, and/or (b) reducing the wait timer if they're disconnected.

2) Some players are running two blitz games at once. This is flat out unfair to the other players in BOTH games. If I may use Star Realms as an example (they had the same problem and fixed it), I think it's worth considering (a) preventing a player from having more than one active "blitz mode" game at once, and (b) forcing the player to have the blitz game loaded when they're logged into the app.

I must say, aside from the above two issues, this is hands down one of, if not the best boardgame app I've ever had the pleasure of playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

2 days ago I played my first 4 player blitz game and it was a very interesting game (gameplay-wise).
I expected to lose but I won and jumped from rank 2 to 7.

Everything was fine? No!
I usually play vs. the AI and I already have half of the achievements which are fun to accomplish but I'd like to play much more online.

Here is my story:

I do not want to change this mode but please add an even faster mode.
One opponent quit in the beginning, I waited 15 minutes (yes I said that I waited and not the others).
The other 2 opponents left the game all the time (green circle changed into red). They needed for almost each age the additional 15 minutes. One of them left at the end as he noticed he had no chance to win without conceding. Waiting Waiting Waiting.
Do not get me wrong, I know a lot of people play this game over some days depending on the mode and the physical version would take even more time and some people suffer AP but people like me also exist which do not require 5 minutes for a turn and I do want to play a match with people which focus on the current match as I do.
I think the game could've been finished at least 1 hour faster.
Some people need more time and if I play a 4 player game the downtime is increased, that's okay. I just want that people do not use the 15 minutes per age to leave the current game all the time, hell a game is long enough without such a behaviour.

I have the feeling that most players are located in the USA (at least this was my experience for other games like SotM and so on) and I often have to play in the late evening to see a lot of people. I started the game at 23 o'clock and damn... my girlfriend was angry because I spend all the night to finish the game. I was lucky because I hadn't to work the next day.

This experience was very unsatisfying.

A lot of people are probably happy about the blitz mode as it is right now.
No problem.
But... Another mode with less than 15 minutes per age would be appreciated in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to add...

2 achievements exist which require to win 3/6 online games in a row.

Does leaving a game and beeing replaced by the AI count as losing?
Maybe this would explain such a behaviour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played against humans yet, but would a time-out system be a good solution so someone quitting doesn't have to result in 15 minutes of waiting? Like if one doesn't touch anything in 2 minutes, he is prompted to at least touch the screen, and if this doesn't happen in 30 seconds, he's automatically replaced by AI. The think tank time could still be 15 mins per age.

Another thing is to flag players who behave like this. It's a bit negative thing but it certainly is very impolite to quit without conceding. I realize someone will do so for reasons he cannot control (some kind of emergency, internet cuts), but that should be pretty rare, so a few times per certain time period this would be considered OK. I certainly would like to have the option to play only with players who have a relatively good reputation or however it would be called, assuming I also have the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:

A lot of people are probably happy about the blitz mode as it is right now.
No problem.
But... Another mode with less than 15 minutes per age would be appreciated in my opinion.

I think you're on to something. I used to regularly play the original version of TTA with a face to face group, and we'd typically finish a 4 player game within 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

Considering the allotted few minutes per turn before the 15 minutes extra time even gets dipped into per age, that's considerably more than is needed for the fastest game speed. I was disheartened the first time I saw a player's 15 minute pool reset at the beginning of age 2.

One question though - does the new TTA's rules still allow a player to withdraw from the game (a graceful concession that does not involve an AI taking over)? I ask because an AI takes over a player's position that concedes or times out, when in the "real" game, that's obviously not going to happen.

Right now, if a player's position is so badly beaten down that they concede, the AI becomes a punching bag for whoever's lucky enough to draw the best aggressions and wars.

I'd like to see conceded/timed out positions simply be removed from the game, as that's badly unbalancing some game results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Padish wrote:
I haven't played against humans yet, but would a time-out system be a good solution so someone quitting doesn't have to result in 15 minutes of waiting? Like if one doesn't touch anything in 2 minutes, he is prompted to at least touch the screen, and if this doesn't happen in 30 seconds, he's automatically replaced by AI. The think tank time could still be 15 mins per age.

As long as this was only in blitz. Most of the other time options would require you to be awake and online 24-hours per day if this "touch or concede" option were present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganraeln wrote:
One question though - does the new TTA's rules still allow a player to withdraw from the game (a graceful concession that does not involve an AI taking over)?

You can resign as a political action outside of Age IV. There are some rules around what happens next, but the player is removed without an AI taking over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Padish wrote:

As long as this was only in blitz. Most of the other time options would require you to be awake and online 24-hours per day if this "touch or concede" option were present.

Yes that surely must be blitz only
I guess the idea of blitz is that everyone commits to playing the game in one sitting, which kind of assumes people are not stepping away from their device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely need to fix their server uptime issues before they do this, though.

I've been kicked from two games because the servers suddenly disconnected me and wouldn't let me log back in. (I still had internet connection and could do other things.)

I suspect there's some issue that leaves a bunch of lobbies open. Speaking of, can we get a Filter option for lobbies? I would like to see only Live games because Async takes *weeks*.

Just today we had connectivity issues and could barely finish a 4 player Live Blitz game in four hours with everyone barely using extra time except when the servers kicked them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrushU wrote:
I suspect there's some issue that leaves a bunch of lobbies open. Speaking of, can we get a Filter option for lobbies? I would like to see only Live games because Async takes *weeks*.

The servers seem flakier in the morning (U.S.) for whatever reason.

As for async, you can do a fast async with 2 or 3 players in a few days. Choose games with higher level opponents, because you know that they're taking multiple turns per day. Some of my async games have played out in close to real time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.