Subject: Can pyramids move off stacks onto other stacks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing with my 10 year old and a question came up about the rules. It says that in the stacking phase you choose a pyramid or a stack of pyramids to stack into an orthogonal square. In the case of moving a stack, do I have to take the entire stack, or can I just take one or more pyramids from the top of the stack? I think it's the whole stack, but it could also be interpreted in second way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules question
ceelte wrote:
I was playing with my 10 year old and a question came up about the rules. It says that in the stacking phase you choose a pyramid or a stack of pyramids to stack into an orthogonal square. In the case of moving a stack, do I have to take the entire stack, or can I just take one or more pyramids from the top of the stack? I think it's the whole stack, but it could also be interpreted in second way.

On your turn, choose any pyramid or stack of pyramids, regardless of color, and place it on top of a pyramid or stack of pyramids in an orthogonally adjacent square.

"place it" seems pretty unambiguous to me ("it" refers to "any pyramid or stack of pyramids").

I.e. it does not say "place part of it", but "place it".

(I guess you could interpret it as letting you move part of a stack if you interpret "stack" itself more generally to mean something like "any vertically contiguous set of pyramids in a square" so that every substack in a stack is also itself a stack... but I don't recall many/any games in which "stack" doesn't mean the complete stack in a square.)

PS: please consider making Rules forums more useful for future readers by editing your post's subject from the vague "Rules question" to something helpfully specific like "Can you move part of a stack?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

On your turn, choose any pyramid or stack of pyramids, regardless of color, and place it on top of a pyramid or stack of pyramids in an orthogonally adjacent square.

"place it" seems pretty unambiguous to me ("it" refers to "any pyramid or stack of pyramids").

I.e. it does not say "place part of it", but "place it".

That's pretty much what I thought, although it does say "any pyramid or stack of pyramids", which could have meant moving a single pyramid from atop a stack, but I think the game plays much better if you don't allow that.

russ wrote:

PS: please consider making Rules forums more useful for future readers by editing your post's subject from the vague "Rules question" to something helpfully specific like "Can you move part of a stack?"

Good point. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ceelte wrote:
russ wrote:

Good point. Thanks!

You're welcome. To edit the thread subject, you can click the "edit" link of your original post. (That lets you edit not only the post itself, but the subject.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ceelte wrote:
That's pretty much what I thought, although it does say "any pyramid or stack of pyramids", which could have meant moving a single pyramid from atop a stack, but I think the game plays much better if you don't allow that.

I think the rules originally just said "choose any stack and place it...", where I included a single pyramid in the definition of a stack, but then I expanded it to "any pyramid or stack" because the colloquial definition of "stack" doesn't include a single pyramid. Unfortunately, adding this clarification introduced a different ambiguity, as you point out, oops. Writing rules is hard!

But yes, the intention is, you never separate stacks once they are created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
DougOrleans wrote:
...I expanded it to "any pyramid or stack" because the colloquial definition of "stack" doesn't include a single pyramid. Unfortunately, adding this clarification introduced a different ambiguity, as you point out, oops. Writing rules is hard!

It might work to say "all the pyramids on a given square," which would make the player focus on an empty square being the end-result of a move, regardless of the number of pyramids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.