Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This variant is really simple.

Play the usual game but pretend the amount of players in one more.
1. deal one more military card for Age A events
2. remove one less card after each turn
3. include cards for a higher amount of players
4. for some cards relying on player amount, use the real amount of players

This way the engines are much more developed and the modern era lasts longer. VP scores are very high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try this variant? How was your experience ?

I am a bit skeptical because this would make the game way longer (especially age I) and change a lot the balance: not only this adds cards but also cards change less often.

Out of curiosity have you tried only to change the number of cards discarded each turn? This would make the initial ages way longer but perhaps not the last one, so perhaps you could introduce only the age III cards from a higher amount of players ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LudoH wrote:
Did you try this variant? How was your experience ?

I am a bit skeptical because this would make the game way longer (especially age I) and change a lot the balance: not only this adds cards but also cards change less often.

Out of curiosity have you tried only to change the number of cards discarded each turn? This would make the initial ages way longer but perhaps not the last one, so perhaps you could introduce only the age III cards from a higher amount of players ...

I have tried this variant several times. My experiences:
- the games were indeed longer but that was desired
- the initial ages did not run too slow because of the growing engine, enabling more actions due to wonders, politics and technology
- the value of the immediate effects, which I was afraid of being hit by making the game longer, surprisingly showed up to be balanced because of two factors:
* one off effects relying on the amount of something scaled automatically
* one off effects not relying on the amount of something were used nevertheless because there was more actions to perform - playing yellow cards was still a valid strategy - simply more yellow cards have been played (that is the reason why the game did not take 2 times longer)
- I only wished Age Alasted 1 turns longer and Age IV lasted till there are no cards on the track (you may try this as well).
I have begun with number of discards first but later introduced more Age A events for the balance reason. As for inclusion of the additional cards, opinions may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tue Akio
msg tools
This game is supposed to make you feel that the length is not enough. You cannot do everything that you plan and not sacrificing anything. If you have strong infrastructure, you are probably weak in culture. If you are culture-rich, your infra or military probably sucks. And if you are very strong in military, you want to do aggression/war before it's too late when the game ends or other civs with better infra are strong enough and overtake you.

There is this feeling at the end of every game where you wish you could have been stronger in some parts of your civ and this game is exactly intended to give you.

I come to Tta from the harsh and punishing of Agricola and I immediately love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
icyrainz wrote:
This game is supposed to make you feel that the length is not enough. You cannot do everything that you plan and not sacrificing anything. If you have strong infrastructure, you are probably weak in culture. If you are culture-rich, your infra or military probably sucks. And if you are very strong in military, you want to do aggression/war before it's too late when the game ends or other civs with better infra are strong enough and overtake you.

There is this feeling at the end of every game where you wish you could have been stronger in some parts of your civ and this game is exactly intended to give you.

I come to Tta from the harsh and punishing of Agricola and I immediately love this game.

That is why it is at 2nd position on BGG. What I intend is not to spoil the outstanding balance within the game but provide an option for those who don't like rewarding though choices.
For Agricola I also play a heretic variant in which I include mats and cards for 4 players while playing 3. My children love it. They don't want to be punished by the system. Yes, it's a heresy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, quite interesting!

I would like to try at least with 2 players if I have the opportunity (at least for a change)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is already quite long, is it not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:
The game is already quite long, is it not?

I often play High Frontier, Leaving Earth, War of the Ring which are far longer than TTA (would also like to play Middle Earth Quest but I don't have this game). That is why I wanted to make this "short" TTA game longer. A personal variant to satisfy my taste, constructed with only 3-4 sentences, suits this purpose well.

When I bought TTA I was expecting a spaghetti epic similar to the PC Civlization game. What I found was a perfect game for gamers' taste (rank 2) but not what I expected. This slight change satisfied my initial expectation while still prevailing some (but not all) TTA excellence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making TTA longer? Isn't that like making Texas hotter, the ocean saltier or Habeñeros spicier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
afrag wrote:
Making TTA longer? Isn't that like making Texas hotter, the ocean saltier or Habeñeros spicier?

I have even successfully attempted at making High Frontier longer (exploration achievements), let alone TTA. Some people like extremes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:
This variant is really simple.

Play the usual game but pretend the amount of players in one more.
1. deal one more military card for Age A events
2. remove one less card after each turn
3. include cards for a higher amount of players
4. for some cards relying on player amount, use the real amount of players

This way the engines are much more developed and the modern era lasts longer. VP scores are very high.

Your main problem is you have just inflated the value of certain leaders and crushed the value of others.

Bill Gates is meant to kick start a stagnating economy, in a longer game, his worth is much less than Sid's who just creams you with vps.

Same is true for Robespierre, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:

Your main problem is you have just inflated the value of certain leaders and crushed the value of others.

Bill Gates is meant to kick start a stagnating economy, in a longer game, his worth is much less than Sid's who just creams you with vps.

Good catch. What if, assuming the game is 2 times longer, allow having two leaders (but only one at a time) during an era?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxolan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:

This is true, but somewhat self-balancing. The best leaders are going to cost more actions to grab. And because less cards fall off the board, you're less likely to randomly get an undercosted leader.

The app has a slower variant (it doubles the number of yellow cards), and while the strategy is definitely different, I haven't found it to be broken to the point of unfun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.