Cribbage» Forums » General

Subject: Buying our first cribbage board - what to consider? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that my husband and I really would enjoy Cribbage (although we have never played it), and am about to order a cribbage board. There seems to be a variety of models, with different types of tracks and pegs. Any recommendations on what I should be looking for/avoiding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about it too much - it's just a scoreboard. Some have three tracks but if you're only going to be playing with two you don't need that. Just pick one you like the look of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't even need a board. It's just a decorative/traditional thing.

So if you get one, buy whatever you think looks pretty.

Don't buy a cheap piece of shit from whatever the equivalent to walmart is over there.

They can be a fun woodworking project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

While one could maintain that the game can be played without a cribbage board, it is also true that pegging is a far faster method and less prone to error than keeping score by other means. It is what drives the tradition. There are other benefits from scoring with a board as well. When a player pegs his/her score, the count can then be contested by his/her opponent.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue the pegs are more important than the board. Fortunately, nice pegs usually accompany a nice board. You want the pegs to feel good and be big enough to manipulate comfortably. Small, light, plastic pegs may stick to your fingers and not sit in the holes firmly. They may also fall out easily if the board gets bumped or jostled.

Good luck and have fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Tessier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you choose a wooden board, avoid those with a gloss finish. Go for a dry/mat finish. The varnish used to make it glossy is usually applied after the holes have been drilled. The holes become obstructed and are a pain to peg...

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Don't buy a cheap piece of shit from whatever the equivalent to walmart is over there.

I think a cheap board is fine for your first one. I advise you not to spend much until you've at least played the game. After you've played a while you might even decide you don't like the game. If you do like it, then you can take your time finding a board you like.

I've never gone out of my way looking for nice board, but I have bought many nice one-of-a-kind boards that I came across in various shops over the years. Stumbling across one in an unexpected place is like Christmas morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer continuous track boards over the ones where each player goes up and down his column twice. The continuous track ones (all 120 holes for each player) are clearer, and the game feels more like a race when you are right there next to your opponent.

As for pegs, I am not too picky, but I bought some nice metal pegs for a custom board my husband and I made for his parents. The weight of them was very nice to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to get a board with 121 holes - continuous track preferred. 60 hole boards are confusing even for old timers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good input, thank you so much everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

While one could maintain that the game can be played without a cribbage board, it is also true that pegging is a far faster method and less prone to error than keeping score by other means. It is what drives the tradition. There are other benefits from scoring with a board as well. When a player pegs his/her score, the count can then be contested by his/her opponent.

Gg

I think you probably haven't played just notching off groups of five on paper with a pen. Nothing far slower about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lampeter wrote:
I prefer continuous track boards over the ones where each player goes up and down his column twice. The continuous track ones (all 120 holes for each player) are clearer, and the game feels more like a race when you are right there next to your opponent.

As for pegs, I am not too picky, but I bought some nice metal pegs for a custom board my husband and I made for his parents. The weight of them was very nice to play with.

I agree with this. A continuous track is much clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Gamegrunt wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Gg

I think you probably haven't played just notching off groups of five on paper with a pen. Nothing far slower about it

No I haven't, nor would I do such a thing unless I was relegated to a desert island, bereft of a board. To each his own, I suppose.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Gamegrunt wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Gg

No I haven't, nor would I do such a thing unless I was relegated to a desert island, bereft of a board. To each his own, I suppose.

Gg

I've just not had boards plenty of times.

It really works fine.

I think I didn't even get my own until my dad died and I took the one I grew up playing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the board is a work of art, it will increase your appreciation for the game. buy a custom board, if you can afford it. check out thecribbageguy.com. David has made three boards for me now, and each is beautiful to behold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get a board with more than 2 tracks, get one with 4 tracks.

The 3 player game is a pale comparison to either 2 or 4 player. The random card thrown into the crib in the 3 player game simply throws off much of the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.