Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So some weekends we plan to play some games and when it comes to it, we spend far too long trying to decide which to bring to the table.

Usually I choose to play a new game that I am eager to play and other times I play one that I like very much but I feel that there are other games hidden on my shelf that I forget about and then when I see it later I am like " Damn, which I had saw that".

Is there some sort of amazing website or app that randomly selects games from you BGG selection?

I just feel that I am missing introducing some games to friends as I forget about some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://cardboardbutler.blob.core.windows.net/cardboardbutle...

You can filter by playtime, complexity and/or number of players and then pick a random game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be to spend a few minutes (or hours, depending on the size of your collection) and fish out those games that you forgot about. Do this in your spare time rather than when it's time to play. Decide which ones you most would like to play and set them aside.

Then just come up with a plan to get them to the table. Have one weekend set aside to play JUST games from that pile. Or, if you play multiple games in your session, make sure one of them is chosen from these forgotten gems.

I've recently dusted off Quarriors, Trains, and Imperial Settlers, and had forgotten how much I liked each of them. It was refreshing to play something that was not Splendor, Dominion, Suburbia, or Pandemic Legacy - all great games for sure, but they get requested too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to be more systematic and less random, you could check out Extended Stats. http://friendlessstats.dtdns.net/dynamic/index.html
There is a Collection Management page that lets you see:
Games You Should Play Which You Own
You Like It, You Own It, You've Only Played It Once
You Own It and You Haven't Played It
You Own It and You've Only Played It Once

There's a lot more at Extended Stats, and it's free to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sounds like your group suffers from having different tastes in games. Ex: You say "how about ___" , someone says "Nah, I don't feel like that one" etc.

Two possible strategies:
1. Pick games that everyone sort of likes but not that much. Unfortunately each player's favourite games will never get played. No one will get very excited about the game being played. It sounds like this is your current method of choosing (especially if you are thinking that an algorithm could make a better choice.) This method essentially gives every player a veto. People keep proposing games until one gets no vetos (often when all the players are worn out from trying to choose a game). The final choice usually will satisfy no one but no one will hate it.

2. Everyone proposes one game. Then you vote (with no one having the right to veto). You can't vote for the game you proposed in the first round of voting. Ties are broken by a die roll (or rock paper scissors). Then comes a second round of voting, for the two games with the most votes. In the second round of voting (between the most popular two) players can vote for their own game.

This is a fast method because each player is responsible for proposing a game (and thus thinking about it in advance). If someone says "I don't know" then they don't have to propose a game. The important part is no vetos (no one is allowed to say "I really don't want to play that game"). When we play a game that we know that one player dislikes then we usually let them choose the next game the week after.

There is a huge difference between playing games that the whole group tolerates and playing each player's favourite games even though not every one in the group likes the game. Any method has pluses and minuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A strategy I have used at times is to take several games to the table that will all work with the number of available players and then we go around in a circle vetoing one game at a time until there is one game left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am usually playing with my wife. So I just ask my wife if she wants to play ________ (being whatever I want to play), she says no, I go to the next game, etc. After an hour or so, we play whatever she wants to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play with my daughter: One of us names 10 games, the other picks which of those 10 we will play.

After that, whoever wins a game gets to the pick the next game (incentive to play well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game group we rotate who picks. So we waste zero time. No complaining. Everyone gets a chance to pick their thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
Get there early (this is easy if the event is at your house). Set up the game you want to play. When others arrive, say "I've got xzy set up. Who else wants to play?" Many others will appreciate not having to make a decision and will be happy that a game is already set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
5-3-1.

One player suggests five games they would like to play.

The second player narrows those five down to three.

The last player picks the game to be played.

This way all players get input and theoretically a game is played that everyone would enjoy.

This can be extended, of course, for more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mihnea_1309 wrote:
https://cardboardbutler.blob.core.windows.net/cardboardbutle...

You can filter by playtime, complexity and/or number of players and then pick a random game.

This is exactly what I need, I can break down player count etc and then click to pick a random game.

Thanks for this.

Here's a wee bit of gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use BGG1Tool to export my collection to an Excel workbook then I have another workbook that uses that file as a data source for a bunch of pivot tables based on "best with N players" and I go from there. Ah, geeks, we love our spreadsheets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1: Ask self, "What do you feel like playing?"

Step 2: Answer.

Step 3: Ask self, "Do I have the game?"

Step 4a: If yes, prepare the game and familiarize myself with the rules before guests arrive.

Step 4b: If no, check if it can be obtained before guests arrive.

Step 4b(i): If yes, place order and read rules online to prepare.

Step 4b(ii): If no, repeat from Step 1.

Step 5: Play game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I looked through my list of games here on BGG, I have logged all my game plays since Nov of 2015 so any game that's on my top 50 list that I has listed a low number of plays I take note then make a big list, here's what it currently looks like:
• 7 Wonders
• Catan
• Istanbul
• Kingsburg
• Mansions of Madness
• Mysterium
• Pandemic: Iberia
• Pandemic: The Cure
• Shipyard
• Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
kenzie316 wrote:
So some weekends we plan to play some games and when it comes to it, we spend far too long trying to decide which to bring to the table.

Usually I choose to play a new game that I am eager to play and other times I play one that I like very much but I feel that there are other games hidden on my shelf that I forget about and then when I see it later I am like " Damn, which I had saw that".

Is there some sort of amazing website or app that randomly selects games from you BGG selection?

I just feel that I am missing introducing some games to friends as I forget about some.

My groups play one of the games someone had brought (a two level filter, since gamers won't bring a game they don't want to play, or lug a game they thinks others won't want to play). We ask who is eager to play one of them, then ask who else is willing to play that game. It usually works out fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me I am the game collector and my group come round to play what I have. I have quite a varied selection of games as I generally play anything as long as I enjoy it.

There are a few games that I would love to play more but some of the group just don't like them. It can be that its too complex and other times its too much luck.

So hopefully with a random generator we can make a select a filter and then I can explain the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saint Gryphon
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wayne Schulatz wrote:
5-3-1.

This way all players get input and theoretically a game is played that everyone would enjoy.

I really like this idea. I'm going to start doing that with my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I encourage my group/friends to pick a game the week prior. It doesn't always end up getting played as schedules get messed up and we end up playing other things, but it works pretty consistently.

On those days where scheduling becomes an issue, I'll either pick a few games in advance or we'll just pick something when everyone gets there.

Case in point, there's a few games I would love to play at this week's game night: Pax Porfiriana, Ascension: Realms Unraveled, Arena: For the Gods!, and maybe Ethnos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
In my game group we rotate who picks. So we waste zero time. No complaining. Everyone gets a chance to pick their thing.

This is also how we do it, we rotate every week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Our collection isn't so vast and this might not work with a group of gaming adults, but we came up with something this summer that worked quite well, better than I could have ever expected. The hubs and I will often play alone, but do want the kids to play with us. The little one (8 years old) is more eager to play and fairly easy-going. Often we will choose something, or a couple of choices and let him choose. Then along comes the 12-year-old, who likes to claim he will play anything but the one game we've already chosen, but when pressed to choose something else, then doesn't want to play. He seems to think he is almost a teenager and complaining is currently in his top hobbies.

Anyway, we have a tv- and internet-free cabin and take our collection there for the summer. Easy to get them to play because there's not much else to do, but selecting a game was so difficult that by the time the fight ended, I was in no mood to play. So, I had them put the names of all of our games in a tupperware. Someone pulls one out, we play it, no discussion. We made a rule that we have to work our way through all of the games once before we put them all back in the tupperware. Now, there was sometimes a fight over who got to draw the game out, but I considered it a win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenzie316 wrote:

Do the sort of thing that restaurants do, and have "specials" every game night. Bring in a new game into rotation (or one that hasn't been played in a while), but also have a curated "standby" just incase they're not into the specials

As for the approach, I myself take a game, place it on the table, and announce "I'm putting game X figuratively and literally on the table"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne Schulatz wrote:
5-3-1.

For a few of our groups, since we have an unwritten policy of not making people play games that are on their blacklist, the Venn diagram where all of our games we're interested in (aka, the union) ends up being 7 Wonders. We do split up to play games, but even then, the blacklists are still there within groups of 3 to 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
kenzie316 wrote:

Do the sort of thing that restaurants do, and have "specials" every game night. Bring in a new game into rotation (or one that hasn't been played in a while), but also have a curated "standby" just incase they're not into the specials

As for the approach, I myself take a game, place it on the table, and announce "I'm putting game X figuratively and literally on the table"

Good idea, that could work. Might even allow people to use the link from above and create their own menus for people to vote on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.