flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear All,

Rules says the following:

The game ends in one of two ways:
• One or more players have spread all five of their
influence tokens.
• All four characters from a single house are dead.

When the game ends, the player who has the most influence on
other players’ influence boards wins the game. In the case of a tie,
the tied players share victory.

I have now a repeating problem with this situation. The majority of the players already spread 4 influence tokens. These guys are 'blocking' all attacks by always supporting the defender player who always accepts enough support to win the encounter, therefore the attack fails, no influence token can be spread.

The reason why they are doing this as neither of them wants the other one to win but also neither of them wants a shared victory.

Only one player wants to win but this is not possible to be solved easily, as the defender always accepts the offered support. Killing one player's last character results a tie.

My question would be that do you guys have any idea about a house rule, which could be implemented to determine:

Who is the one player, who wins if someone's all characters dies and multiple people are stands on the same level from influence perspective? What could be a fair but logical house rule in this case to determine the real winner?

The game does not want to end otherwise, kind of a stalemate happens because of the shared victory situation.

Thank you for your ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Croaton wrote:
Dear All,

Rules says the following:

The game ends in one of two ways:
• One or more players have spread all five of their
influence tokens.
• All four characters from a single house are dead.

When the game ends, the player who has the most influence on
other players’ influence boards wins the game. In the case of a tie,
the tied players share victory.

I have now a repeating problem with this situation. The majority of the players already spread 4 influence tokens. These guys are 'blocking' all attacks by always supporting the defender player who always accepts enough support to win the encounter, therefore the attack fails, no influence token can be spread.

The reason why they are doing this as neither of them wants the other one to win but also neither of them wants a shared victory.

Only one player wants to win but this is not possible to be solved easily, as the defender always accepts the offered support. Killing one player's last character results a tie.

My question would be that do you guys have any idea about a house rule, which could be implemented to determine:

Who is the one player, who wins if someone's all characters dies and multiple people are stands on the same level from influence perspective? What could be a fair but logical house rule in this case to determine the real winner?

The game does not want to end otherwise, kind of a stalemate happens because of the shared victory situation.

Thank you for your ideas

the problem here isn't the game's fault... it's the way your group plays... so maybe you change the way you play or you change the group or you don't play the game anymore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Croaton wrote:

Thank you for your ideas

I think I have to agree that the game wasn't designed as a competetive game with one winner at the end. Like your group, I wanted it to be something else. Maybe I was delusional when I bought it that it could be even a "Euro" where the best player wins and claims the iron throne instead of 3 players squeezing into the spikes.

My group (40+) liked this more than Cosmic Encounter (which most of us hated), but I doubt it'll make it back to the table any time soon.

However, should I play again, I'll try and houserule to keep the influence hidden to make it less obvious who's close to winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Refusing a shared victory here is like players refusing to attack each other in a war gam. It is a negotiation game so in order to win, players must negotiate. This is not an accident, it's by design.

Just like the Lannisters and the Baratheons needed each other to take the throne in the history of the books and show (and just like in cosmic encounter, the game this one is based on), a shared victory should be the most common way the game ends-- it's intentional.

(Personally I think they should have known enough to let players know it's very common somewhere in the rules as a heads up to those who are less familiar with Cosmic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltan Barta
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here comes the question then , games like this or Cosmic Encounter, can we blame a player who wants to win alone and not with 4 other people from a 5 player game? Can we call this a bad thing?

If the game technically allows someone to win alone (it does), my personal opinion here is to blame someone who wants to win like this is not correct. However that is also true that this is causing a stalemate and we spend hours by not progressing ahead.

I have thought on the following.

In case there is a tie, the following could decide:
- the player who lost all of his/her characters is excluded from the winning group
- the player who has the most powers on the characters total, is the primary winner
- if the character power total is the same for two or more players, then the more power on the leader decides
- if this is a tie too, then the victory is a tie.

Is this sounds bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Leaving aside whether a tie-breaker is needed, your #1 and #2 overlap. If a player has fewer characters left, they are likely (not certain, admittedly) to have less power left on their characters. Why not keep it simple and say that remaining power, whether on characters or leader, is the tie-breaker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltan Barta
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
Leaving aside whether a tie-breaker is needed, your #1 and #2 overlap. If a player has fewer characters left, they are likely (not certain, admittedly) to have less power left on their characters. Why not keep it simple and say that remaining power, whether on characters or leader, is the tie-breaker?

The reason why I thought on this is that if you managed to survive with more power on your remaining characters than the other player, this mean either you kept more of your characters alive with little power on each, or managed to preserve a lot of power on only a few. On either way your character management was better and you have better 'military power' than the other player. I thought this can be rewarded,
Every power present on the leader is so called "reserve power" which is not immediately usable - this is true along the whole game play, regardless of tie-breakers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.