9 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Interested in this game, but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm interested in buying this game. However, in a fantasy quest game, I always like there to be a dragon to defeat at (or near) the end. I understand the "Dragon Expansion" does this, but I'd like to keep the old board (and don't want lots of dragons attacking on the way).

Is there an easy way to add a boss dragon that a character must beat before getting the Crown of Command (and then attacking other players as per the old rules)? I don't want to change many rules, except to add a boss before getting the CoC. Preferably without buying expansions.

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
β€œIt's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure there are a couple of Dragons as end-bosses in the Alternative Ending cards for this game (not sure which expansions).

However, there are lots of Dragon-Endings in the fan expansion "Alternative Endings 2011", to be found on Talisman Island:
http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=4888

Just print out the ones you like and put one of them onto the Crown of Command space! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/613496/talisman-revised-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordegast wrote:
I'm interested in buying this game. However, in a fantasy quest game, I always like there to be a dragon to defeat at (or near) the end. I understand the "Dragon Expansion" does this, but I'd like to keep the old board (and don't want lots of dragons attacking on the way).

Is there an easy way to add a boss dragon that a character must beat before getting the Crown of Command (and then attacking other players as per the old rules)? I don't want to change many rules, except to add a boss before getting the CoC. Preferably without buying expansions.

Thank you

The Box cover Shows a RED DRAGON and many Characters trying to pass by it. One Character holds a TALISMNAN aloft - apparantly to fend off the Dragon - I thought this to be a very nice and thematic Point and included it in our game:

The Valley of FIRE is the Home of a RED DRAGON. Strength 12.

If You can present a Talisman - You may pass freely.
If You cannot present a Talisman - You have to fight it.

The rest of the Rules are the same - i.e. the aim is to reach the crown of command.

Have fun, Reinhard

(By the way. The 2nd Ed. DRAGONS Expansion had just one DRAGON KING (not like 4th Ed Deragons) - see there for a Picture from my Dragon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the photo, Reinhard. What game is the dragon figure from? I have the Ashardalon figure, so I might use that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordegast wrote:
Thanks for the photo, Reinhard. What game is the dragon figure from? I have the Ashardalon figure, so I might use that.

It is not from a game I know.

I once orderd two of those at e-bay, to use with my GW Lord of the Rings Table Top Miniatures. Then I used it to sit in the Valley of Fire.

It gave a meaning to the question: What actually is the use of the "Talisman" - it calms the Dragon! (See the Box cover of 4th Ed.)

I think the size fits perfectly to the scale (I do not like those giant Dragons like in the "Hobbit" films) - even at that size such a Dragon would make a formidable Opponent in battle...)

2nd Ed. had an expansion ("Adventure") with 6 alternative endings. One was a Dragon King - he had Strength AND Craft and You had to fight TWO Combats each round You opposed him: One Physical & one Non-physical. He had several lifes.

This was an interesting rule: There were rounds, were BOTH lost a life, because i.e.- you lost the physical fight, but won the Non-physical - or vice versa...) This way also High-Craft-Characters had a Chance to win against the Dragon King - if they had enough lifes). The Pure-Strength Dragon King should NOT sit on the Crown of Command (disadvantage for all Craft-oriented Characters), but rather sit in the Valley of Fire withe the Talisman making You immune against him...

Greetings and have fun fighting the final Dragon !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Campbell
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Mordegast wrote:
What game is the dragon figure from? I have the Ashardalon figure, so I might use that.

I think it is the Ice Wyrm from Descent: The Tomb of Ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SabataSmurf wrote:
Mordegast wrote:
What game is the dragon figure from? I have the Ashardalon figure, so I might use that.

I think it is the Ice Wyrm from Descent: The Tomb of Ice.

Yeah! I just took the Dragon and compared it. You are right.
It is exactly the same shape - but: Mine is RED ! devil

Greetings, Reinhard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.