Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Hello fellow geeks!
These past years, I have been building my collection around my tastes and I'm quite proud of what it is today!
But! I feel there is a lack of a certain type of game and I'm asking for your help to resolve this critical issue!

My taste in game are heavy euros (Terra Mystica, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, Troyes, Caylus, etc...)
I also like, when I have a large groups, small but too light games, like Codenames, The Resistance: Avalon etc...
In my past I owned Catan, 7 Wonders and other of that kind but for different reasons, I traded them away.
7 Wonders was a bit too random (regarding purple buildings) and solitary.
Small World, I still have it, but don't like it, it can be long, and so chaotic, that when you win or loose, you can never know what you did wrong apart from being targeted. It feels way too light.
Then I have games like China, Samurai, Blueprints, Spyrium etc... Those I like, and they are "medium" games. But the issue is that they are not very fun, a bit too abstract, or cold...

Today, I'm looking for a game I can bring to attract medium gamers to the table (those that played ticket to ride and other gateway games), but I'm looking for something with a bit of theme to it, and some fun.
A medium game, but not the kind where nobody is talking through the game. May be a nicelooking game? May be an attractive theme? May be a fun but clever interaction? (not the small world kind...)
The game should be very good at the 4 players count, which is the most common configuration. Solid 3 or 5 game is good too.

My best bet so far is Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure that I'm waiting to receive, but I'm looking for others that could fit that requirement.

So, what do you think?
What is the game you bring when you want to impress friend with a good, accessible, fun game, that still has meat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few that encourage table interaction but are medium weight and all play up to or beyond 5:

Istanbul - a worker movement, race game with a lot of light blocking

Airlines Europe - a network builder with points awarded to players with the most shares in each airline whose value is determined by how long it's network is and where it's expanded to. Lots of bluffing and interesting timing decisions and I've found some fun table talk.

Carson City - great thematic worker placement with heavy competition for everything.

Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) - terrifically thematic, simultaneous action selection area control game. Lots of getting in each other's way.

Automobiles - bag building racing game with a good bit of interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some ideas:

Galaxy Trucker: Thematic, fast, some interaction, but can be quite random
Cosmic Encounter: Thematic, high player interaction; maybe a bit too complex?
Chinatown: lots of negotiating, not quite as thematic as the others; currently OOP but Z-Man may do another print-run
Above and Below: mid level Euro with storytelling
Happy Pigs: Mid-level Euro that wins through graphics and requires anticipation of other players' actions
+1 for Mission Red Planet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Those are great lists
I already own Galaxy Trucker and you are right, it does fit the bill!
I was thinking about Istanbul, seems like a good fit as well.
I will look into the others asap, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Caldwell
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can give Aftermath a try, but it's currently only available in single player on Tabletopia: https://tabletopia.com/games/aftermath

Once the Kickstarter completes later this year or start of next year, it will be a medium weight, thematic, story rich game that seats 1-5 players and plays at roughly 30 minutes per player. The artwork is also beautiful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
Hello fellow geeks!
These past years, I have been building my collection around my tastes and I'm quite proud of what it is today!
But! I feel there is a lack of a certain type of game and I'm asking for your help to resolve this critical issue!

My taste in game are heavy euros (Terra Mystica, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, Troyes, Caylus, etc...)
I also like, when I have a large groups, small but too light games, like Codenames, The Resistance: Avalon etc...
In my past I owned Catan, 7 Wonders and other of that kind but for different reasons, I traded them away.
7 Wonders was a bit too random (regarding purple buildings) and solitary.
Small World, I still have it, but don't like it, it can be long, and so chaotic, that when you win or loose, you can never know what you did wrong apart from being targeted. It feels way too light.
Then I have games like China, Samurai, Blueprints, Spyrium etc... Those I like, and they are "medium" games. But the issue is that they are not very fun, a bit too abstract, or cold...

Today, I'm looking for a game I can bring to attract medium gamers to the table (those that played ticket to ride and other gateway games), but I'm looking for something with a bit of theme to it, and some fun.
A medium game, but not the kind where nobody is talking through the game. May be a nicelooking game? May be an attractive theme? May be a fun but clever interaction? (not the small world kind...)
The game should be very good at the 4 players count, which is the most common configuration. Solid 3 or 5 game is good too.

My best bet so far is Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure that I'm waiting to receive, but I'm looking for others that could fit that requirement.

So, what do you think?
What is the game you bring when you want to impress friend with a good, accessible, fun game, that still has meat?

I recommend Tokaido and Viticulture Essential Edition, both of which are very thematic, very beautiful, and can be given more "meat" by adding in their expansions (which I highly recommend).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Mueller
msg tools
My first thought was: Istanbul, and maybe, if you want to get even lighter, Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how different people view "medium weight" so differently - I look at your games and see a lot I consider medium weight already there (and you've rated them fairly high).

So what would I recommend based on your likes and desires?

Option 1:Amerigo.

You have two wooden ship meeples and some wooden trading post meeples. Lay out a random 3x3 (2 player), 3x4 (3 player), or 4x4 (4 player) grid. Preseed a cube drop tower with all the action cubes, and whatever falls through gets put on the round track of 7 action spaces (in sorted order). Note that the tower is a novel mechanism that might interest newer gamers, and it is suppose to produce a small set of actions (1-3) per turn. Each turn, drop the current turn's cubes in the tower and see what comes out. The colors that come out indicate what actions can be taken, and the greatest number of same colored cubes indicate action points. The colors in order of dropping are blue (move ships), black (buy up your cannons track), red (buy development tiles), brown (buy up your technology track), green (place development tiles), yellow (buy manufacturies), white (buy up the turn order track OR use the color your piece sits upon on the turn order track)... and at all times you can use the action points for cubes.

It really isn't that complicated to play. You have 6 turns where you buy these polyominoes, put down trading posts on islands, place polyominoes to claim resources, build up technologies to help you, etc... and its a standard VP salad race.

I think the novelty of the cube drop drop tower and the now more common Patchwork-styled spacial puzzle will draw newer gamers to it. It is also colorful like Bora Bora, but easier to understand and grasp the basic strategies. Well worth looking into.

Option 2: Jamaica

Okay, this might be a light weight/entry game rather than a medium weight to most - but I think Lewis & Clark would be too much for newer gamers to handle. Both are fun race games. Discoveries could be a good alternative to Lewis & Clark, but I don't think it really fits the niche I'm trying to fill (its not quite the same sort of race game - as Discoveries is a VP game, so the player who finishes first doesn't necessarily win).

Option 3: Pax Pamir

Out of Print and you'll pay a premium for this game, but it is worth it. A Sierra Madre Games titles, so the rulebook makes it seem like the game is a heavy wight game to play - but once you "get it" you'll realize how simple the rules are. At its core, you have both tableau building and area control on a map - but your goal isn't to get VP or control the board. Instead, you align yourself with either the British Empire, the Russian Empire, or Afghan Nationalists. You are a small tribe looking to secure power in the future, so you build up loyalty to one of these factions and move the game towards warfare, intelligence war, economic warfare, or political warfare. The faction you support needs to have superiority to all other factions in order to win in one of these arenas, and if 2 or more players support the same faction then the player with the most loyalty wins.

A heavier and more complex version of this system is Pax Renaissance (still available), but Pax Pamir is a very smooth fast playing game with incredible graphic design. Both are worth looking into - and as long as you learn how to play first, you should be able to teach it. Unfortunately, the way you are suppose to play to win isn't as clear, and that may drive this game up to "heavy weight" or "its seems so random" for some players... but it is solidly medium weight in my eyes.

Option 4: Cuba Libre

Okay, this is barely in the medium category and has the trouble of the above Pax games (newer players may not "get" the way you get to victory). All the other COIN games start getting too heavy, and you might find them too abstract. However, the asymmetric play and victory conditions do make this quite an interesting game... and at its core it really is "first player chooses to perform operation, operations and special actions, or the event card; second player can do an action based on what the first player did" with very basic types of actions (get resources, raise troops, move troops, attack with troops). Cuba Libre is the "half sized" COIN game - half the pieces, half the board size. It is a solid intro to the system, then you can look into a conflict that interest the group. However, unlike all the previously mentioned games, this one will run significantly longer (it is an all evening game) and that may be a problem.

Option 5: San Juan 2E

An easy to teach 2-4 player card game version of Puerto Rico. It is all about building a 12 card tableau to end the game and get the most VP, and it teaches the role selection of Puerto Rico (and can lead into that game as a second step). One of my wife's favorites, plays in under an hour, is affordable, and is highly portable. Highly recommend this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Sophie111 wrote:
My first thought was: Istanbul, and maybe, if you want to get even lighter, Splendor

Splendor is typically the kind I like, but find way to cold to attract people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire is great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
@Michael Dillenbeck: I do have some, it's just that I think most of them are much more thinky than fun.
I love china or samurai and I think anyone can play it, but when I think that they are a bit too abstract and that most people will find them interesting but a bit too "serious"/dry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Tariff wrote:

I guess so, but probably too heavy/long for the cousin that plays only catan/ticket to enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 istanbul, carson city, and amerigo
also look into
Abyss might be more of a gateway game than your looking for right now but hits your other marks
Lewis & Clark race using resource management
Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia currently my top pick for dice placement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider the Red Raven Games line. All are very attractive on the table, but medium weight to more with the amount of rules explanation needed. Euro style mechanics.

Islebound - A middle weight euro-ish delivery game with some thematic elements and choices to be made. Deep enough with the buildings to make it interesting over many plays.

Above and Below - A middle weight engine building euro with storytelling elements

Near and Far - Starts to get back toward the heavier weight, but similar to Above & Below with story elements almost at the front, but an impressive engine building game as the meat of the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll recommend two strategy games that feel like party games when you play them.

Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension gives players a tantalizing taste of putting together a plan based upon guessing what their opponents will do. When you guess right, things go well. When you guess wrong, things can go even better - or hilariously bad. It is somewhat light but still encourages thinking, and is very engaging. Also it moves along quickly, which really helps the experience.

Stockpile is an engaging auction game. Again, players try to guess what others are doing, because the players build the groups (piles) of stock cards to be auctioned, and some of the cards are hidden. Partial information makes the auctions tense. The included expansion gives unique player powers that add to the tactical challenge. It's lively fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two medium euros that have appealing themes:

Shakespeare - Fun worker placement bidding mechanic and cool actor powers. Fairly easy to learn with clear icons. The backstage expansion spices it up but might put it just out of reach for some of your more casual group.

The Networks - Silly tv show drafting with some powerful network cards that mix things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
I just bought Stockpile + ext!
Thanks for the recommandation

DrumPhil wrote:
I'll recommend two strategy games that feel like party games when you play them.

Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension gives players a tantalizing taste of putting together a plan based upon guessing what their opponents will do. When you guess right, things go well. When you guess wrong, things can go even better - or hilariously bad. It is somewhat light but still encourages thinking, and is very engaging. Also it moves along quickly, which really helps the experience.

Stockpile is an engaging auction game. Again, players try to guess what others are doing, because the players build the groups (piles) of stock cards to be auctioned, and some of the cards are hidden. Partial information makes the auctions tense. The included expansion gives unique player powers that add to the tactical challenge. It's lively fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco: Big Box -- you want the 2(?) expansions. Without it the game is rather intolerably light.
Last Will
Glen More
Unfair

Are you only interested in Euros? If not I have some other ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
lacreighton wrote:
Fresco: Big Box -- you want the 2(?) expansions. Without it the game is rather intolerably light.
Last Will
Glen More
Unfair

Are you only interested in Euros? If not I have some other ideas

I mainly know euros, but I'm open to suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:

You will get a stream of suggestions right here, but you can also do some more searching on your own by using the menu on this page to see a list of games that fit the "Family Games" category.

From the menu at the top:

Board Games > Subdomains - Family Games

Once that is set, use

Browse > Subdomain: Family Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orleans
Concordia
Hansa Teutonia
Scythe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
TVis wrote:
chaps357 wrote:

You will get a stream of suggestions right here, but you can also do some more searching on your own by using the menu on this page to see a list of games that fit the "Family Games" category.

From the menu at the top:

Board Games > Subdomains - Family Games

Once that is set, use

Browse > Subdomain: Family Games.

Good idea, I used the advance search, but their is no "fun" factor to configure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Concordia. Attractive game (well maybe not the box) with lots of brightly colored meeples. Be sure to tell newbies how important the cards are to final scoring. If you (or they) don't like the "no scoring until the end of the game", you can play the variant and score mid-game.

Another Mac Gerdst gem, Navegador. Beautiful board. New players can have fun sailing ships around and collecting exploration tokens and colonies, although that's not typically a winning strategy. Be sure to explain that points come from obtaining privileges. Also, the rondel limits choices for actions, making it a little easier.

Both of these are rated right around 3 weighting on BGG. Typically can play right around 2 hours for 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Those are too dry and heavy for what I'm looking for.
Thanks you all, I'm considering Mission Red Planet, Automobiles, and Stockpile.
I think that will be enough
Thanks a tons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven C
Canada
Stouffville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Orleans,

Voyages of Marco Polo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.