Subject: Printing odd-shapes for punching out? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Robichaud
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools

Working on a prototype for my first game, and maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but what are some solutions to printing game tiles, for example, that are not the usual rectangular shape?

The game requires tiles that are hexagonal/honeycomb shaped - I imagine printing on thick stock with "punch out" tiles, has anyone ever had something printed like that with a custom shape?

Just thinking ahead - Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen everything from ovals to discs to hexagons to partial hexes, or hexagons with a chunk notched into them -- the limit is what you are willing to pay for the design you need to have made.

Added edit: I should note, all the above shapes are seen in just one recent game, "Fleet Commander: Genesis".

They have at least four shapes for specialty tokens: circle, oval, hexagon (with square notch inset), and hexagon (with square extended 'arm'). The discs used for the ships stands have holes in them, as well as a radial notch. Tiles are square, rectangular, and trapezoidal. Special fleet identifier markers are gear shaped with a hole in the center.

You're only limited in what shapes you can think of, and the price you pay to have them made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Do you mean for print and play prototype, or production?

In production, most dies (the tool for creating "punch boards") are custom built anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Robichaud
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
The print of play version (which I'll post here for all once it is done, months from now) will just be a basic page with a "cut it out yourself" sort of thing.

I'm looking into getting a small number of as-professional-looking-as-possible final prototypes and would love some nice, thick tiles to showcase. I was planning on just getting those printed on heavy stock and very carefully cutting them out myself - then I wondered about production and figured I'd at least come in and pick your brains!

Delicious, delicious brains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laser Cutter ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ericrobic wrote:
The print of play version (which I'll post here for all once it is done, months from now) will just be a basic page with a "cut it out yourself" sort of thing.

I'm looking into getting a small number of as-professional-looking-as-possible final prototypes and would love some nice, thick tiles to showcase. I was planning on just getting those printed on heavy stock and very carefully cutting them out myself - then I wondered about production and figured I'd at least come in and pick your brains!

Delicious, delicious brains.

Laser cutter is an option -- you could also see what The Game Crafter offers for punchboards -- they're pretty good quality and hvae a nice range, though couldn't do something totally custom unless you made a large order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.