Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I am a long time gamer, and a teenager. Some of my favorite games are X-wings miniatures, Star Wars armada, and Star Wars destiny. (Yeah, think I like Star Wars?) Anyway, I usually play these these somewhat complicated games with my brother, but now he's in college, and I've tried to teach them to my dad. He didn't grow up playing board games, and has a hard time learning them...even a game I would consider relatively simple like Destiny. For example, I got the Rey and Kylo Res starter sets, played them by myself twice, and understood the rules of the game and some basic strategy. After about 5 games with my dad, (and me helping him) he's still just starting to understand how the game works. So really I guess I'm just asking for advice, is there anything I could do to help him learn the game? thanks in advance y'all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Piorkowski
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Patience is the thing you are looking for. Give your dad time. For the first 4-5 games your goal shouldn't be to win but to help your father understand the flow of the game and seeing combos in advance of doing things. And sticking with the starter sets is good. Every time I tech someone to play I use the starter sets and the first few games we can see one another's cards. It helps them see the ebb and flow of the game. Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(trying to resist making comment about "long-time gamer" and teenager being like jumbo shrimp )

Games like this can have a high learning curve if a player has no experience with them. Essentially, you try to teach them the basic rules, but then nearly every card has a new way to break the basic rules. For those of us that love and get immersed in these types of games, they come easy, but for those that are more traditionally set in their gaming, it's a bit more difficult.

If repeat plays of Destiny are not doing the trick, maybe change things up a bit? Fluxx is a game series that takes away the deck construction aspect of a CCG, but includes the variable rule aspect that most CCGs embrace. It also has a variety of themed versions, so maybe there's one that's more appealing to your dad and could ease the transition.

Outside of that, I really don't know that there's any way to break Destiny down into a more simple format than either the original or new 2P starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
(trying to resist making comment about "long-time gamer" and teenager being like jumbo shrimp )

Games like this can have a high learning curve if a player has no experience with them. Essentially, you try to teach them the basic rules, but then nearly every card has a new way to break the basic rules. For those of us that love and get immersed in these types of games, they come easy, but for those that are more traditionally set in their gaming, it's a bit more difficult.

If repeat plays of Destiny are not doing the trick, maybe change things up a bit? Fluxx is a game series that takes away the deck construction aspect of a CCG, but includes the variable rule aspect that most CCGs embrace. It also has a variety of themed versions, so maybe there's one that's more appealing to your dad and could ease the transition.

Outside of that, I really don't know that there's any way to break Destiny down into a more simple format than either the original or new 2P starters.

Haha, yes, I guess it is rather contradictory

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DemanKnght wrote:
Patience is the thing you are looking for. Give your dad time. For the first 4-5 games your goal shouldn't be to win but to help your father understand the flow of the game and seeing combos in advance of doing things. And sticking with the starter sets is good. Every time I tech someone to play I use the starter sets and the first few games we can see one another's cards. It helps them see the ebb and flow of the game. Best of luck.

You're probably right about patience. And I'll try doing a game with both hands visible and see if that helps. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lewicki
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Destiny is only simple in the number of different actions you can take in a turn. My experience is that it's actually pretty complicated, in the sense that what you should do constantly changes based on what your dice show, what's in your hand, what's in your deck, how many resources you have, how much damage your characters have, what your opponent's dice show, what might be in their hand, etc. One re-roll by you or your opponent could drastically change how all those variables interact.

I've been putting off showing this to my wife and kids for that reason. My plan will be to just focus on the basic actions first (roll, discard for re-roll, play a card), then start with open-handed games, then switch decks. The hard part for me is to try to teach them how to learn without letting them care about winning, since an early win or loss significantly affects how likely they are to want to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.