Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody ever experimented with having fuel loss as a result of combat? It seems plausible to me that a ship might expend more fuel in these situations, either by burning more (evasive maneuvers) or damage (leakage due to fuel tank damage).

I've considered a few different options.

a)Add a result on the CRTs that calls for the loss of 1 Fuel Unit.

b)Add a result on the torpedo/mine/asteroid/ram tables (or a subset thereof)only.

c)Allow a player to cash in one fuel to reduce "D" results by 1. I considered allowing exponential increases to reduce the damage by more, but I'm thinking that anything more than 1 pretty much invalidates asteroids/rams and lower odds attacks.

Anybody try something similar, or have any thoughts on the matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah well. I was hoping with the announcement of a new edition somebody might have a thought on something like this. I think it might add a bit of variety to the game, but also concede it might make the balancing of some of the scenarios a bit more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the real problem with getting specific (as it were) on anything about fuel is that it opens up all the other questions about fuel.

Torch ships aside, what is the fuel fraction, at launch? What is the exhaust velocity and density? How much does the acceleration of the ship change, as fuel goes down. (Maybe a lot, with any reasonable exhaust velocity, initial fuel fraction, and the ability to drive halfway across the solar system without refueling.)

One can soon get deeper into the physics than one really wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brianmccue wrote:
One can soon get deeper into the physics than one really wanted.

Quite true. I'm certain I wouldn't want to play something that in-depth, but I certainly feel like there's some design space for things that add a bit of flavor without turning the game into something too hard-core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack Vector:Tatical implements the increase in thrust per fuel point as the mass of fuel onboard burns down. This involves having fuel dots in two different shapes on a ship record sheet that you fill in as the burn down, and when the dots change shape you start coloring a different number of dots per fuel point. It's not actually that bad for the player, but it does add a record sheet and an extra rule to remember.

It enormously complicates the design of new ship classes, adding some heavy mathematics that effectively removes that process from something a normal player can or would want to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeatDeath wrote:
Attack Vector:Tatical implements the increase in thrust per fuel point as the mass of fuel onboard burns down. This involves having fuel dots in two different shapes on a ship record sheet that you fill in as the burn down, and when the dots change shape you start coloring a different number of dots per fuel point. It's not actually that bad for the player, but it does add a record sheet and an extra rule to remember.

It enormously complicates the design of new ship classes, adding some heavy mathematics that effectively removes that process from something a normal player can or would want to do.

Yes, I'm familiar with AV:T, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm specifically asking about losing fuel as a result of combat, whether through damage or emergency burns to avoid incoming ordnance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.