Subject: Some Quick Thoughts After First Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading all the reviews about the game I decided to jump all in and purchased CoM with the Valhalla and Dark Mountain expansion.

Others have done up some superb reviews that explain the rules and go into game play mechanics. I just felt compelled to add my two cents after a single play.

After playing the base game on the weekend (2 player) I was very impressed. My wife won by 1 point! I played as Gylfir and was up against Svanhildr.

It absolutely feels like a combination of Lords of Waterdeep and Stone Age and game play is very smooth.

I've read about the potential for a runaway leader if a player takes a heavy loss (hence purchasing Valhalla immediately) and I can see how that could happen, but that was not the case in my first play.

The art on the boards, cards, and tokens looks amazing.

The components are all very solid, however, I have a personal issue with the food and wood tokens being red and brown wood cubes. The in game symbol for food being largely red and brown makes my brain hurt when I have to choose what color cube to take, not to mention they just don't look the part.

I'll be making my own food and wood tokens out of fimo clay so that they match the symbols in the game. (Yes I'm aware you can get upgraded tokens, but I don't like the look of those ones either)

Blame, favour, and gold I'm good with being cardboard tokens and the workers being the standard wooden meeples also look fine.

After finishing our first game my wife and I were left with the desire to play again and even said the game is going to see lots of table time.

We'll probably give the base game a few more plays so that we get a good sense of what the expansions add, but after our first play I can see why so many people like this game!

We'll be playing this one again very soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Solid game, but I thought the player powers were unbalanced. We played the base game for the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.