Subject: A few quick questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Just started a campaign and I have a few quick questions.

1) What is an "optional deployment"? How is that different than a regular deployment? We came across this in a scenario and the "optional deployment" happened around the same time as the regular deployment (end of a round). They both still require threat, correct?

2) How do open groups work exactly? Can you choose red cards for open deployment groups? I know there are no unique cards allowed. When can you deploy open groups?

3) When the rebels defeat one of the starting groups (like an imperial officer), does that card go to the imperial player's hand or does it stay on the table with the figure close by or on top?

4) Do all class cards require an action to use (even if there is no action arrow)? For example, I have the card force push. It costs 2 strain, but as long as I have the strain, am I able to perform this action in addition to my normal 2?

5) Forced missions are not part of the "10" campaign missions, right? We have to do them, but they don't count as a side mission or a story mission, so it is just in addition to the ones we are doing in the campaign.

6) Am I able to take the red card for allies that I have won on a side mission? I won the rebel saboteurs, for example. I took the basic card with me on our next story mission, but could I have taken the red card? In order to take an ally, I just have to give the imperial player threat equal to the deployment cost on the card? So, in the example above, the imperial player starts with 5 threat, not 0? Can I take allies on all future missions, even if they are defeated in a previous one?

7) All harmful conditions (stun, bleed, etc.) can only be used if damage was done to the character? If no damage, no condition?

This post ended up being longer than I thought, but I wanted to try to get as many questions answered as possible. Thanks for bearing with me.

On a side note, I'm loving the game, but I haven't completed a campaign before. I've play quite a bit of skirmish so I am very familiar with most mechanics. We are also playing this two player. I'm controlling the rebels because I'm the most experienced and I'll do a better job of remembering all of the abilities/upgrades (I think).

We just completed our third mission in our first campaign and these questions came up. We dealt with them as best we could at the time, but I'd like clarification for the future.

Also, if there is another rule/issue that you know is tricky or hard to remember feel free to share it quickly in effort to help us play more smoothly. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Regular deployment = deploy normally. Optional deployment = usually triggered by mission (ex. "after open this door, you may resolve an optional deployment"). Yes they both cost threats

2. Y; anytime you'd be allowed to deploy
Open group = 3 means Imp is free to pick any 3 deployment cards, no uniques unless Imperial player has earned them

3. go back to hand

4. huh? I think you're confused here: Force Throw costs 2 strain which means it requires you to suffer 2 strain to use it, not "as long as I have the strain". Strain is bad and is something you gain, not something you spend. You can only voluntarily suffer strain up to your endurance. So if you're at 4/4 strain you can't say "I'm going to take 2 dmg to use Force throw

5. Y

6. "could I have taken the red card?" N, except these ones
"Can I take allies on all future missions, even if they are defeated in a previous one?" Y

7. Y. Note the subtle difference between stuff like "Focus" vs. "Become focused". For example, Kayn Somos doesn't need to do dmg to focus friendly troopers

Other tips:

game is most balanced around 4 Rebel heroes imo
don't forget surge-recovery and strain-move
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
ricope wrote:
4. huh? I think you're confused here: Force Throw costs 2 strain which means it requires you to suffer 2 strain to use it, not "as long as I have the strain". Strain is bad and is something you gain, not something you spend. You can only voluntarily suffer strain up to your endurance. So if you're at 4/4 strain you can't say "I'm going to take 2 dmg to use Force throw

I probably worded this poorly. I understand that I have to have the strain available, then I have to use it up. So I have to take two strain each time I perform this action. If I have 4 strain, I can no longer perform this action until I rest and get rid of some of the strain. My question is does it count as one of my two actions or is it it's own thing? It doesn't have the action arrow beside it, so it seems like I'm able to perform one more action (in this case a force throw if I have the strain available). Or does it count as one of my main ones (move, then this action for example).

Thanks for all of the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
1) Optional deployments are times you can deploy outside of the status phase. All threat costs must be paid as normal unless specifically mentioned. For example, the villain, Blaise, lets you have an optional deployment with discounts for certain types of groups.

2) Open groups just allow you to pick which extra types of groups you want to have in the mission as the IP (Imperial Player). Grey and red are both allowed. Unique villains are allowed as well if you have gained them from your agenda deck.

3) When an IP's group is defeated, the card goes to the IP's hand of open groups. Many people will just put it on the table though, since the rebels already know you have the option to deploy that group.

4) Abilities do not require an action unless they have an arrow. If they do have an arrow, you can only perform that action once per activation. In the case of Force Throw, it takes 2 strain and exhausts the card. An exhausted card/ability cannot be used. Heroes unexhaust all their cards at the beginning of their activation.

5) Correct, forced missions are not part of the normal "11" campaign missions and are extra ones added in.

6) When you win an ally that has a regular and elite version, you win the regular version the first time and your choice of regular or elite if you win them again. This is actually often impossible in a campaign, so you might consider a house rule to allow the elite versions if you want to play with them. Rebels can choose to bring 1 ally group with them (in addition to any automatically given in a mission) at the start of a mission. The IP gains threat equal to their cost and has an optional deployment if they do. Allies can be brought each mission regardless if they were defeated in the past.

7) Any conditions, harmful and beneficial, can only be applied if the defender received damage. There are a few exceptions specially mentioned that say someone gains a condition. No damage is needed in these cases.

There are a lot of small rules to remember if you really get in to it. Check out this thread to maybe catch a few you've missed.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1319188/what-are-some-crazy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just chekcing on 2)
Beyond the question that the OP asked about being able to choose regular or elite troops for these groups,
and apart from "uniques" which have already been mentioned (if I remember correctly, they are uniques because they don't mention a threat cost?),
can you choose open groups among Imperial and Mercenary cards? (I have assumed yes, and that you cannot choose a Rebel card, because that wouldn't make sense.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
manningm01 wrote:
Just started a campaign and I have a few quick questions.

1) What is an "optional deployment"? How is that different than a regular deployment? We came across this in a scenario and the "optional deployment" happened around the same time as the regular deployment (end of a round). They both still require threat, correct?

To address what you're asking in regards to an optional deployment at the end of the round, note the order of the Status phase steps. First the regular increase (threat by threat level) occurs, then the regular deployment, then end of round effects.

So if for example a mission says "At the end of round three increase the threat by X" the Imperial Player gets that threat AFTER the regular deployment. So if there's no optional deployment then the threat can't be used right away (at least not for deployment or reinforcement).

Herman92 wrote:
Just chekcing on 2)
Beyond the question that the OP asked about being able to choose regular or elite troops for these groups,
and apart from "uniques" which have already been mentioned (if I remember correctly, they are uniques because they don't mention a threat cost?),
can you choose open groups among Imperial and Mercenary cards? (I have assumed yes, and that you cannot choose a Rebel card, because that wouldn't make sense.)

Yes, unless specified otherwise. All Imperial and Merc figures are considered "Imperial" for the purposes of campaign. If a mission or card is going to distinguish between them it will use the corresponding symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Herman92 wrote:
Just chekcing on 2)

Just to make sure you don't break the game, uniques absolutely have a threat cost. Unique refers to allies and villains. The IP can add a unique villain to the open groups only if the villain has been won from an agenda mission. The villain is just like any other IP group in that it has a threat cost. However, if a villain is defeated, it cannot be redeployed during that mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stl0369 wrote:
Herman92 wrote:
Just chekcing on 2)

Just to make sure you don't break the game, uniques absolutely have a threat cost. Unique refers to allies and villains. The IP can add a unique villain to the open groups only if the villain has been won from an agenda mission. The villain is just like any other IP group in that it has a threat cost. However, if a villain is defeated, it cannot be redeployed during that mission.

Ah - right! I just checked my cards again, and a "unique" deployment card is actually marked with a small "square" in before the name on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Optional deployment has "optional" just because you don't need to deploy anything. Optional deployments happen
a) During the Deploy step of the status phase
b) Whenever a mission event tells to perform an optional deployment
c) Whenever another ability allows you to.
Note that during optional deployments you can also reinforce.

2) Like you noticed, uniques have a dot and have to be earned first. The others are fair game. "Imperial Figures" in the RRG say that the imperial player controls imperial and mercenary affiliation figures during the campaign. You can choose from them.

3) Non-unique deployment cards return to the IP's hand so they can be later redeployed normally (by paying their threat cost).

4) See Costs from the second page of the RRG. Abilities that do not have an action cost do not cost an action, they may cost something else like exhaust or deplete, or they may be abilities that just need their trigger condition to be met.

5) Forced missions are played immediately when they come to play. Thus, they are not chosen, and do not take a spot in the campaign schema (there is actually separate space to log them).

6) Elite allies are available if you earn the same ally twice, which is possible for only some rebel allies. (But there are house rules.)

7) The condition keywords only apply the corresponding condition if the target suffered damage. (A suitable ability can apply the conditions themselves directly.) See Ability Resolution order during attacks for the full story.

Also see: What are some crazy or common rule-breaking mistakes your group made whilst learning the game?
Also useful: FFG unofficial answers to rules questions thread - read first post for instructions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb

Ahh, thank you. I just noticed something in this thread that I may have been playing wrong, but I'm having trouble interpreting the post.

If an imperial figure is on top of a terminal, I can interact with that terminal, but can I attack it? We played that it can still be attacked in the first mission (Aftermath).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
manningm01 wrote:
If an imperial figure is on top of a terminal, I can interact with that terminal, but can I attack it? We played that it can still be attacked in the first mission (Aftermath).

Figures and objects in the same space can be targeted independently (they don't block like of sight to each other). They are also adjacent for the purposes of Blast (and Cleave). So you played correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Symiant
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to underline something that Pasi said, because the way some previous posters have described optional deployment may cause some confusion. There are only really two types of deployment - optional and campaign mandated forced deployments. Campaign mandated forced deployments are things like "put these exact figures on the map at the start of the game" or "when you open this door, Darth Vadar appears and now you're probably dead". Optional deployments occur every status phase, and are what you refer to as a "regular" deployment. So in that sense, there is no difference, because the regular deployment is an optional deployment. However, additional optional deployments can be triggered by missions - "When the rebels open this door, gain 6 threat and resolve an optional deployment".

The distinction is important, because some agenda cards can only be used during an optional deployment. This means those cards can be used in your end of term deployment phase, as well as in mission triggered optional deployments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
symiant wrote:
I just wanted to underline something that Pasi said, because the way some previous posters have described optional deployment may cause some confusion. There are only really two types of deployment - optional and campaign mandated forced deployments. Campaign mandated forced deployments are things like "put these exact figures on the map at the start of the game" or "when you open this door, Darth Vadar appears and now you're probably dead". Optional deployments occur every status phase, and are what you refer to as a "regular" deployment. So in that sense, there is no difference, because the regular deployment is an optional deployment. However, additional optional deployments can be triggered by missions - "When the rebels open this door, gain 6 threat and resolve an optional deployment".

The distinction is important, because some agenda cards can only be used during an optional deployment. This means those cards can be used in your end of term deployment phase, as well as in mission triggered optional deployments.

Ahh! Thank you. This makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.