Subject: RIP, Colonel Petrov rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Soviet colonel, Stanislav Petrov, who in September 1983 correctly deduced that a detected American launch of five ICBMs was a computer error not a real launch and reported a system malfunction, has died. Actually, it was a couple of months ago, but his death wasn't widely reported at the time.

In any case, a toast to Colonel Petrov for his clear thinking. As he said, “When people start a war, they don’t start it with only five missiles.”

Oh and incidentally, what was the Red Army's response? They gave Petrov a reprimand for not noting everything in the log book.

• [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A man who should be remembered as a clear thinking and courageous hero, who sadly will likely end up being an obscure historical footnote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...what was the Red Army's response? They gave Petrov a reprimand for not noting everything in the log book.

In Soviet Union the paperwork finishes you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaPXVJWHji4

There's a movie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that Wendel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shall we play a game ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:

So did the movie ever get made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
mcszarka wrote:

So did the movie ever get made?

Friends of mine told me they saw it recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Shall we play a game ?

How about a nice game of chess instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
...Actually, it was a couple of months ago, but his death wasn't widely reported at the time...

I'm sure Col. Petrov would've detected his own death months ago correctly. Sounds like a computer glitch in the Matrix to me.

And thanks to him, NATO vs. Warsaw Pact games remain what-ifs. We should hope that indefinitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:
...what was the Red Army's response? They gave Petrov a reprimand for not noting everything in the log book.

Petrov's defense (no, not 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 ...) was that he had a phone in one hand, an intercom in the other, and no third hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Sleezer
United States
Dupont
Washington
flag msg tools
Some Russian teenager was probably playing the Russian version of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbqMuvnx5MU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
Staggering really, that the fate of the "World as We Know It" was, quite literally, in the hands of one man.

We are all unbelievably fortunate that it was him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this really related to wargames? It should be in "Historical Context".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Chosed disfavour where obedience would've led to disaster".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:

A Red Army colonel averted nuclear war, a topic that has been included in many a wargame.

Close enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:

Umm yeah, Comrade Petrov... How's that log book coming along?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jumbit wrote:

A Red Army colonel averted nuclear war, a topic that has been included in many a wargame.

Close enough.

Better than close. I'd have missed this had it been somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
This story has been fairly well-known, if not broadly publicized for years. Petrov was indeed a hero of humanity, and for that, we raise a glass and shout Prosit!

But it wasn't just Petrov. The US NORAD command noted the alert status of Petrov's base, and without more information than that, counseled going on alert. But when the alert went silent, and no other bases were on alert, the US backed down despite some debate that it was a Soviet trick. Still, Petrov held us all in his hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tumnin Vakham
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
wifwendell wrote:
Oh and incidentally, what was the Red Army's response? They gave Petrov a reprimand for not noting everything in the log book.

As a child, I lived in a military town in the Far East. My father was a technician-liaison officer on the basis of naval aviation.
80 years are very nervous years. I remember at night when included siren, a soldier-messenger came, my father left, two regiments of bombers flew away. Later my father told me that "the American aircraft carrier was in neutral waters. This is a war. And our planes were going into the battle."
American navigational computers of an aircraft carrier group are also sometimes mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Tumnin wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

As a child, I lived in a military town in the Far East. My father was a technician-liaison officer on the basis of naval aviation.
80 years are very nervous years. I remember at night when included siren, a soldier-messenger came, my father left, two regiments of bombers flew away. Later my father told me that "the American aircraft carrier was in neutral waters. This is a war. And our planes were going into the battle."
American navigational computers of an aircraft carrier group are also sometimes mistaken.

Scary, isn't it, how many times this planet came to nuclear winter because of mechanical issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tumnin Vakham
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
Scary, isn't it, how many times this planet came to nuclear winter because of mechanical issues?

Dangerous toys. But the main reason is a people politicians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.