Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really stuck on this one. If I invent something, say the rope, is it mine for the rest of the game, or is it gone once I use it?

I have the same question about the Mast. Seems to me if you keep the mast effect the entire game then at 3 extra wood per turn the first scenario could end really quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only build an invention once. They don't get used up but you can't keep building it to keep getting the benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Carraro
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inventions like the rope are created (using BUILD action) to use as requirement to do others inventions... it´s your until be destroyed (by a event), AND THEN available to construct again....

the Mast invention you need to use the BUILD action every time you want to GAIN +3 JUST FOR the fire PILE that you need to accomplish the scenario...

others inventions give access to BONUS for the camp, food, GAIN a pawn to do actions, etc....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I build rope, I can then use it to construct ONE invention that needs rope. I can't use it to construct multiple inventions.

Is that correct?

Oh and thank you both for responding. I think I goofed on this part of the game and it caused me to 'win' when I should have lost. I built the mast once, and then kept collecting 3 wood each turn. D'oh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
redstarnyc wrote:
So if I build rope, I can then use it to construct ONE invention that needs rope. I can't use it to construct multiple inventions.

Is that correct?

If an invention has the rope as a requirement, then you must have built the rope before. The rope does not get used up and you can build all other inventions that need the rope to be there, i.e. you don't have "one rope" but rather the "knowledge" to make rope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Carraro
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redstarnyc wrote:

Is that correct?

Oh and thank you both for responding. I think I goofed on this part of the game and it caused me to 'win' when I should have lost. I built the mast once, and then kept collecting 3 wood each turn. D'oh!

Yes... you BUILD up the ROPE invention to be a future requirement to BUILD up others inventions that´s need the ROPE ALREADY BUILDED (so... you cannot BUILD the ROPE and AT THE SAME TURN, BUILD UP another item that´s requires the ROPE).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For standard Inventions (i.e. Not scenario specific) you can only build each invention once. Once it is built it stays with you*

In your example of the rope, once it's built it is built. You can rely on the rope for the rest of the game. Inventions which give you a one time bonus will remain built but only give you the bonus once (e.g. The knife remains built but you only get the +weapon_level once).

If an invention can be built multiple times it will explicitly say so; typically these will be scenario specific. You get the benefit each time (e.g. Build a cross in scenario 2).

*there are events which can make you flip then back. But you wouldn't normally do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the quick and clear responses.

I really like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carraro wrote:
the Mast invention you need to use the BUILD action every time you want to GAIN +3 JUST FOR the fire PILE that you need to accomplish the scenario..

Note that you can only build the mast once per game. So you can only get a total of 3 wood from the mast. The rest you have to find by yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
I really suggest you go to YouTube and search for "Watch it Played Robinson Crusoe". It'll answer your questions.

Every game he's done a video for should be automatically stickied at the top of each game's rules subforum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Nyoto
Indonesia
Iowa
flag msg tools
carraro wrote:
inventions like the rope are created (using BUILD action) to use as requirement to do others inventions... it´s your until be destroyed (by a event), AND THEN available to construct again....

the Mast invention you need to use the BUILD action every time you want to GAIN +3 JUST FOR the fire PILE that you need to accomplish the scenario...

others inventions give access to BONUS for the camp, food, GAIN a pawn to do actions, etc....

About mast invention, for this explanations and for what I'm understanding is:
- You can build mast inventions every action phase right? (If yes, scenario sounds easy).
- So it opposite of rope inventions, which is once it was built, It cannot be built again until an event or any other event / action card stated the rope to flip back right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericknyoto wrote:
- You can build mast inventions every action phase right? (If yes, scenario sounds easy).

No, you can only build it once per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Nyoto
Indonesia
Iowa
flag msg tools
Dulkal wrote:
ericknyoto wrote:

No, you can only build it once per game.

Thanks for confirming. No wonder it so easy when I do scenario one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just to clarify (I'm very new to the game), once I build the Shovel I can continue to use it for Threats like Drain, Building a Drain? It's not broken (flipped) after each use or discarded?

Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
So just to clarify (I'm very new to the game), once I build the Shovel I can continue to use it for Threats like Drain, Building a Drain? It's not broken (flipped) after each use or discarded?

Many thanks.

No, you keep it unless an effect tells you to flip it back to invention side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:

Many thanks.

Thanks Joffrey - but what about the rule that says an Invention can only be built once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
La_Gofr wrote:
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:

Many thanks.

Thanks Joffrey - but what about the rule that says an Invention can only be built once?

Once it is built, you cannot build it again (to gain its effect twice, such as the map for instance).
Though if an effect makes you flip back your invention to the invention side, you are allowed to build it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
La_Gofr wrote:
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:

Many thanks.

Once it is built, you cannot build it again (to gain its effect twice, such as the map for instance).
Though if an effect makes you flip back your invention to the invention side, you are allowed to build it back.

That's great - thanks for helping me out Joffrey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.