Hide
4 Posts

New York 1901» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can't Place Buildings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seishin Shaolin Jedi
msg tools
Recently, I came upon a situation where I had one of my workers on a 2-sized lot in hopes of acquiring the 2-sized lot next to it, but an opponent acquired the lot I was hoping for, essentially blocking my plan. Now, I was stuck with a worker that couldn't build because I had no 2-sized buildings left to drop in that spot. What happens to that work? Do I lose him for the rest of the game, or do I take him back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Don't have the rules in front of me, bit I believe you can take him back as an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my gameā€¦ when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is covered in "Uncommon Situations" on p5 of the version 2 rules:
NY1901 Rules V2

Quote:
If you have no available Workers at the start of your turn AND you cannot Build (or Demolish) on your turn, then you MUST reclaim one of your Workers from the board and return a corresponding Territory Card from the top of your Character Card back to the bottom of the Future Market, then pass the turn to the next player.

So yes, the worker is "stuck" there for a while at least. But you can get by pretty well with just 3 workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chenier La Salle
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that can happen. It limits your options somewhat but the game can still be played with only 3 workers. If you're in a situation where you have no small 2 square buildings left to build, it's more than likely late in the game and all the more bearable.

Like George mentioned, you can also reclaim a worker if you have no worker left to claim land at the start of your turn and can't build or demolish anything. That's extremely rare.

Thanks for playing the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.