Martin Perrine
msg tools
mbmb
Hi All,
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I was curious though, has anyone played where you didn't restrict actions per round? For example, a player could make as many purchases, deliveries, pillages, outpost or bonus actions as they are able with their resources? This seems like it would help speed the game up some. I enjoyed the game, but by the 2nd or 3rd hour, it just felt too long for me, personally.

I don't see this adding a lot of imbalance in the game, but haven't tested it out yet and was wondering if anyone had some input.

Thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think this would add a huge imbalance to the game. Timing on when you do things is critical. If you could chain actions you could completely manipulate the economy of this game.

On a personal tastes note, I can't stand games that just let you do whatever you want/as much as you want. There is no tension in that, there has to be some limit. I think the game would lose anything interesting as a result.

On the length note, I think when you first start playing it may seem really long. But as you become familiar with the game I believe it speeds up greatly. Not only the number of rounds it takes, but also each players actions, which should be pretty quick really. But I agree, downtime is the worst aspect of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would totally break the game.

5 pillages in a row = 10 goods for free.
5 purchases in a row = You can cycle through the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Jones
United States
Wauwatosa
WISCONSIN
flag msg tools
Sean
badge
Sean
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:
On the length note, I think when you first start playing it may seem really long. But as you become familiar with the game I believe it speeds up greatly. Not only the number of rounds it takes, but also each players actions, which should be pretty quick really. But I agree, downtime is the worst aspect of the game.

I agree with this. When everyone knows the game, downtime is very low. Halfway through a game, new players usually are in the swing of things and it moves quickly. Actions take very little time, and you're likely planning ahead during that short but of time. Or hoping the guy across from you doesn't go buy that water you desperately need.

But early on, with a lot of new players, yes, it can drag.

edit: Just reread the original post. If it's taking you 2-3 hours, unless everyone is new to the game and there's a good amount of rules reading/checking, there's something else going on. Full 5 player games have been taking us under 2 hours, and that's with an AP guy in the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did, it's really I'm balanced. We spent a ton of time finding the right balance of actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.