SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: make the output of a game wishlist stat ranked (default from 1 to 5) and filtered by the users' wishlist ranking (and not by their game rating as is now).

Users add a game to their wishlist by choosing a ranking from 1 to 5. You must select a ranking, you cannot add a game to your wishlist without a ranking. 1 is absolute must, 5 is never ever.

When you click on the Wishlist stat on a game page, it shows all the users who have put this game on their wishlist.

Bizarrely, it ranks them on the users' own game rating, and not on their wishlist ranking. Which means I have no idea if another user wants this game until I click through to their account and click through all of their wishlist until I find it.

Utterly bizarre and completely non-functional. my suggestions are:

Change the wishlist stat output to show users listed by wishlist ranking.

Default this to show results going from 1 down to 5.

Allow me to flip this from 5 to 1.

Allow me to filter which rankings I want to see, such as any 1s and 2s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
You can get there by clicking on a user's wishlist and then under status on the "wishlist" link. That sorts the games by the 1 to 5 wishlist ranking. Click on the link again and it flips the games.

For filtering look above the games list on the left and click on <Filter>. Choose wishlist: Yes and below <Wishlist status> the category you want to concentrate on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But you don't know the users wishlist ranking until you plough through the whole list. One user I checked had over 50k items on their wishlist.

You're missing the point.

Go to a game page.

Under Community Stats, click on Wishlist. Now tell me what each person's wishlist ranking is, 1 to 5, from looking at that listing. Not the game Rating, the Wishlist Ranking. And no, you cannot filter for it.

That's the whole point, it should tell you the person's wishlist Ranking, 1 to 5, on that stat list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right that it's not possible.

But I'm curious what would be the advantage/usage of having this. The main purpose of the filters there are geared towards yes/no statuses, and I'd think that semantically wishlist information would be mostly useful at the same level (e.g. "how many users have this wishlisted?" / "which users have this listed?" are much much more useful than "just how much does each one who wishlisted this really wishes it?" )

Of course the problem there is the "5" wishlist ranking, because with it technically having something on the wishlist can mean that it's explicitly not wanted. That's... a big problem with the wishlist implementation on BGG in general, I think. And with it you're right that it could be useful to get a better resolution (though honestly a "5" vs "1-4" would be, I think, more than enough, because it will actually allow to get wishlist data). But under the assumption that wishlist is supposed to actually mean wishlist (is there data on whether BGG users at large really do use "5" or is it just massively ignored by everyone?) then the higher resolution would, again, probably not be really useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yarondav wrote:
But I'm curious what would be the advantage/usage of having this.

I've started listing items for sale on the marketplace. I've noticed I have some unusual items, that only a few people have on their wishlist. If I can go to the stat, sort out the 1s and 2s from the 4s and 5s, I can see if it is worth contacting a few people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
But you don't know the users wishlist ranking until you plough through the whole list. One user I checked had over 50k items on their wishlist.

You're missing the point.

Go to a game page.

Yep, sorry, I did not see that you wanted to search from a game's page, not an user's collection. I agree with Yaron that the only one that really should be filtered out are the "5" games. That would probably be better as a default when someone clicks on the wishlist-link on a game's page because who really wants to know which users do not want a game?! For the rest the categories are so fuzzy and variable between users that they will likely not be telling much.

Btw. Was the dude with the 50,000 games on the wishlist this user?
BoardGameCo
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

He runs a business buying and selling used games. I am not sure if his ratings would really mean anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
yarondav wrote:
But I'm curious what would be the advantage/usage of having this.

I've started listing items for sale on the marketplace. I've noticed I have some unusual items, that only a few people have on their wishlist. If I can go to the stat, sort out the 1s and 2s from the 4s and 5s, I can see if it is worth contacting a few people.

Two points, then:

1. It may be a bad idea in any case to contact unknown people out of the blue with an offer of a trade/sale. The other direction, if they have it listed as for trade, and you really want it, maybe yes. But having 1 on a wishlist doesn't necessary show any interest in buying used, or in having potential sellers bother you instead of just a list for you to know what to buy. That's spamming. Targeted spamming, but that's still very much spamming. Even if BGG did give you an easy way to get the data, it would probably be a bad idea.

2. If these are some unusual items that only a few people have on their wishlist, then the effort of manually filtering on individual users would be minimal. Of course depending by how unusual the items are, and how few you refer to as few here. But the more people there are which you include here (e.g. if "few" aren't 2-3 but 20-30 or more) the worse it would be to initiate contact with everyone from your side...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.