Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Harron
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
Hey there everyone!

Currently I am working on a social-collusion, negotiation game called Who Wears the Crown that makes Kingmaking a central mechanic!

Game info: Time 30-45 minutes; Number of players: 4-8; Ages 12+

Basics:

The whole premise of the game is that the High Lords and Ladies are choosing the next Primarch (Prime Monarch) to lead the realm. However, with every powerful leader there is a shadowy puppet master behind the scenes: The Chancellor of the Realm. Each player has a house card and favor tokens (the game’s currency) matching their house. The there is a deck of cards that have values 1-3 on the fronts and backs, these cards are shuffled together make up the Crown deck and can either be support cards (which count for points at the end of the game) or betrayal cards (which are discarded before the scoring phase.

Win Conditions:

In Who Wears the Crown both the Primarch and Chancellor win. The Primarch wins by having the most Crown Points which are gained by buying cards or favorable actions from other players with their favor tokens. The Chancellor wins by having the most of the Primarch’s favor tokens. This means that players that fall behind have a second win condition that they can reach for by backing who they think will win with clever trades!

Gameplay:
The turns are simple focusing on the interaction between players. Each turn there is a Current Player who decides if they are going to play a card from their hand to score for another player or to spend some of the other players favor tokens under their control to do a Intrigue action. These 3 Intrigue Actions allow for stealing cards, drawing cards, or looking at scored cards. The targets of the card scoring/intrigue actions are all up for negotiation where the other players can use favor under their control (including other player’s favor that they have) to make offers. The current player takes an offer and resolves the action (returning spent influence for intrigue actions back to the respective players). Scored cards are placed face-down in front of the player they are scored for.

Ending the game: Gameplay continues until one player has a total value of 12 scored in front of them. There is one final round and then scoring occurs discarding all of the Betrayal cards and then adding up a bonus for all of the support 1s they have and if they had the most point before the scoring round.

Please ask me any questions and keep in mind things will change
http://www.blueherongames.com/who-wears-the-crown/
Please sign up for news at: http://www.blueherongames.com/newsletter/

PS I’m trying to get the old name of the game changed on BGG but so far no luck :/
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/222540/eminence-gris...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harron
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
The Design Intent:
In working on Who Wears the Crown, I wanted to make a game that eliminated the ill-will that kingmaking generates in games and instead make it a central mechanic. Part of this also was informed by looking at history and that there are frequently a person behind the person on the 'throne' who has significant power even if they do not have the title (think Tyrion Lannister).

The way I went about addressing this was to initially attempt to have two win conditions one being the standard get points to win condition and a second one to ensure that the person who was the 'kingmaker' wins as well. To help foster this I have made the mechanics based on negotiations with a idea that you have to rely on the other players to help you score and win.

This whole thing is a difficult concept to wrap one's head around so I am focusing on keeping the basic gameplay and the core concepts of the game as simple as possible. There have been several iterations before getting to this point and am currently am working on the Intrigue Actions and ensuring that their cost is not too expensive to be discouraged but not too cheap to be used exclusively instead of scoring cards for players.

I would love to know your guy's thoughts and I will keep you all abreast on the changes to Who Wears the Crown?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.