Subject: summary of first four sessions with my daughter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After being kindly gifted a set of Navia Dratp, I've been able to get in a handful of games with my daughter (age 7). She thought the game looked interesting - fascinated by the Navia figures who control the action, and the ability to use different figures with different powers.

Our first game ended with my daughter securing an economic victory - in part because she begged me not to take her Gullayas Turtle, but also because I left an expensive figure open to attack that gave her the last crystals she needed.

The second and third games were played back-to-back. I wasn't as kind to her, winning both games by putting her Navia into checkmate. The second game surprised her as she was still focusing on gathering crystals while I picked off her pieces and left her vulnerable; the third was more tightly contested as she tried to balance between money and board position.

Our final session was the first time we didn't use the standard starter figures on each side. I let her pick her army, and she selected mostly expensive figures. That came back to haunt her, as I took my first economic victory.

So what are our impressions so far?

Pros:
* We both really like variety. Having so many distinct and interesting pieces available is awesome - although it does introduce a high learning curve, as each new piece brings with it new strategies and possibilities.
* We both like how there is a delicate balance between economics and time and board position. Don't spend too much time putting out pieces you won't use, or that effort could come back to haunt you (losing pieces is very costly, as is losing time).
* We both like how the base rules are easy to understand: either drop a piece onto the board, or use a piece already there. The complexity comes from special rules attached to each character, so you often only need to be familiar with a few at a time.

Cons
* We do wish that the game went a bit quicker. Right now we are slow enough when playing that it's hard to get a game in weeknights due to early bedtimes for my daughter.
* It would be nice if the learning curve could be reduced by not having to constantly flipping pieces over. Cards would do that (game comes with cards, but they were lost in transit before the game was given to us) or a player aid.

Overall, I have to say that Navia Dratp is a fantastic game. I'd like to play against adults eventually instead of just with my daughter - but exploring the strategies together has been a blast so far.

(Some pictures will be coming soon... but every time we play I get engrossed and forget to snap photos until after we are done!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report.
You can find player aids in the file section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game in years, but I would LOVE to play again. If you are not an idiot on a computer (and no offense if you are), you can download the Vassal Engine, and get the Navia Drapt Module for it. That let's you play real time against an opponent. I would love to get some games in if you are willing.

Vassal Module is here:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Navia_Dratp

If you go to my extremely un-updated in 8 years page, i have vassal log files for games i have played, which you can step through and watch the game as it goes.

http://jc-designs.net/navia/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:
I haven't played this game in years, but I would LOVE to play again. If you are not an idiot on a computer (and no offense if you are), you can download the Vassal Engine, and get the Navia Drapt Module for it. That let's you play real time against an opponent. I would love to get some games in if you are willing.

Vassal Module is here:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Navia_Dratp

If you go to my extremely un-updated in 8 years page, i have vassal log files for games i have played, which you can step through and watch the game as it goes.

http://jc-designs.net/navia/

Interested in the offer, but not sure I can take you up on it right now.

I don't have a personal computer right now, only one through work. Despite spending time (more than I should) browsing this site, I don't actually play any games on it.

If anything changes I'll post here looking for a match!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.