6 Posts

A Handful of Stars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cards categories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alain R
France
flag msg tools
Hi there. I got my copy of this game a few days ago, and contemplate my first game by the end of this week. I will probably get questions from my players, as I did when reading the rules, so I'd better be prepared to answer...
Most cards have a red name to categorize them, and I couldn't find in the rulebook the impact of such categories when playing the card. Some appear quite obvious, some have been clarified in this forum, other still remain unclear to me.

I try to summarize below my understanding of each categorial effect, with a few queries. Please correct and complete as necessary.

Free Action:
This action may be played in addition to the 2 actions per round (i.e. it does not count as one of the two actions)

One Use Action:
This card is not simply discarded after the action is used, but rather completely removed from the game
Question: does this mean that you also lose any future use of the symbol on it ?

One Use Free Action:
Mix of the above : used as a free action and then removed from the game

Action:
Probably not much to say for this one...

Combat:
This card can be used during Combat, including by the Defender, as part of the Combat process
Question: are they the only cards to be used (for their action) in Combat, or can other non-"Combat" cards be used as well for their action ?

Reserve
My understanding from this forum is that those cards in reserve have their action being permanent (until removed from reserve)
Question: does this apply also to "reserve" cards put in the left slot (i.e. potentially granting 4 permanent effects, or even 6 with +1 reserve counter) ?
Question: do non-“reserve” cards also have permanent effects if placed in the reserve left slot?

Many thanks for your clarifications.

Alain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Question: does this mean that you also lose any future use of the symbol on it ?

Answer: Yes. When the card is removed from your deck there would be no way for you to use those icons in the future.

Quote:
Question: are they the only cards to be used (for their action) in Combat, or can other non-"Combat" cards be used as well for their action ?

Other non-combat cards can be used but only if they directly add to your military strength.

Quote:
Question: does this apply also to "reserve" cards put in the left slot (i.e. potentially granting 4 permanent effects, or even 6 with +1 reserve counter) ?

Yes, reserve cards give their reserve effect regardless of which reserve they are placed in. The only limitation is that Reserve Two can only hold reserve cards.

Quote:
Question: do non-“reserve” cards also have permanent effects if placed in the reserve left slot?

No. Reserve cards are the only cards with an ongoing permanent effect. Non-reserve cards in your reserve just wait until you use them as if in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Typo, I think.

Quote:
Non-reserve cards are the only cards with an ongoing permanent effect.

Reserve cards are the only cards with an ongoing permanent effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup thanks I fixed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raist anient
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
Typo, I think.

Quote:
Non-reserve cards are the only cards with an ongoing permanent effect.

Reserve cards are the only cards with an ongoing permanent effect.

where does it say in the rulebook that reserve cards have an ongoing permanent effect? I don't think this is very clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
P11 in the description of Reserve cards (Wallace uses the term “persistent”).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.