Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Too Many Bones» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tink and his build die/bots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Drinkle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
So I've played a few games with Tink, and I really enjoy him, but I'm curious about few things... I'll ask the questions, then try to give a situation where these questions have come up.

1) Lets say before the start of battle I roll his build die, and I don't like the result. I know I can re-roll it during my turn (using dex), but the question is "when" do I roll it. The obvious answer is that it's rolled with the rest of the dice... which is probably the correct answer... but that's a bit limiting... see scenario below

2) When do the bots activate (anytime on my turn?)/When can I put a bot out on the mat (anytime on my turn?)/When do the attachment dice roll (with all the other dice)?

Maybe what I want to do is not possible (The situation):
I have 6 dex, no bot on the mat, no bot in my prep area. Start of battle I roll the build die, and don't like the result.

My turn starts... I want to get my bot out there, but I need to re-roll the build die... Can I do the following....

Option 1)
A) re-roll the build die, (1 dex). (Assume I get the result I'm happy with)
B) put my bot in the prep area, select attachments, up-tick it's battery (1 dex)
C) Deploy bot (1 dex)
D) At this point I still have 3 dex, so I roll 1 attack die, and both attachment dice....

Or did I just screw that up on step A... because my build die had to be rolled at the same time as my other dice in Step D?

If that's the case... can I do the following...
Option 2)
A) Put bot in prep area, don't select any attachments, up-tick it's battery life. (1 dex)
B) Re-roll my build die in with 3 atk dice. (Assume I get build die result I want)
C) Attach attachments and deploy bot (1 dex)
D) Attack with bot (without using it's attachments, since dice have already been rolled)

What about Option 3)
A) Put bot in prep area, don't select any attachments, up-tick it's battery life (1 dex)
B) Re-roll my build die, and 1 atk die (2 dex) Assume I get the build die result I want)
C) Attach attachments and deploy bot (1 dex) (2 attachments have been attached)
D) Attack with the bot and roll the attachment dice as well (2 dex)


There just seems like a multitude of options for when I can roll the dice. I suspect I'm closest to the correct implementation of the rules in Option 2, but even that I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to roll all your dice at the same time. So your build die is not going to be able to be rolled on the same turn as your attachment dice.

The way I understand it is, when you put your bot in the prep area, you must put your attachments there as well and exhaust your build die. Therefore you want your build die to be oriented how you want before you prep your bot. If you want to roll the build die again, don't prep your bot!

See correction below! Thanks George!
BTW - watch George's videos. He has great strategy discussions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diddypi wrote:

The way I understand it is, when you put your bot in the prep area, you must put your attachments there as well and exhaust your build die. Therefore you want your build die to be oriented how you want before you prep your bot. If you want to roll the build die again, don't prep your bot!


That is incorrect - you exhaust the build die when you deploy the bot onto the battle mat, not when you put the bot in the prep area.

The question remains, if you prep the bot and start increasing its battery, can you then reroll the build die and add attachments? I am not entirely clear as to the answer.

However, in reality in my games with Tink I virtually always use the results of the build die I roll at the start of the battle. I can't afford not to deploy a bot in round 1, even if the attachments are less than ideal. It's very easy to use the backup plan to replace an attachment with another one, if you need to.

The only problem is in the first few days, if you only have 1 attachment and you can't use it. So I always start with Air Horn and Firing Arm. So I'll always be able to use one or the other depending on the results of the build die. When I get build die 2.0, I add Alternator and eventually Prodder, so I get a good choice of attachments regardless of the results of the build die.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Drinkle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
nobody82b wrote:

The question remains, if you prep the bot and start increasing its battery, can you then reroll the build die and add attachments? I am not entirely clear as to the answer.

Yeah, this is ultimately what I'd like to see a ruling on. Even just to remove the ambiguity.

nobody82b wrote:

However, in reality in my games with Tink I virtually always use the results of the build die I roll at the start of the battle. I can't afford not to deploy a bot in round 1, even if the attachments are less than ideal.


I'm the same way usually, however I do find this situation happen a few times, and would just like to know what I can do when I do want to reroll that build die. Also, as you mentioned this is really just a problem with the build 1.0 die, and not even all the time.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wielgus
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

nobody82b wrote:

However, in reality in my games with Tink I virtually always use the results of the build die I roll at the start of the battle. I can't afford not to deploy a bot in round 1, even if the attachments are less than ideal.


I'm the same way usually, however I do find this situation happen a few times, and would just like to know what I can do when I do want to reroll that build die. Also, as you mentioned this is really just a problem with the build 1.0 die, and not even all the time.


Build Die may be rerolled until desired result - attachments aren't 'applied' until Bot enters Battle Mat.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Drinkle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Josh. Perfect answer! I came to this same conclusion last night while playing Tink, where I had a bot out on the BM and was starting to prep a second bot. It didn't make sense that I had to decide on attachments while I was prepping the bot (by upticking it's battery life). until it was about to go out into battle.

Thanks a ton for the clarification though, really great to hear an official ruling on it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghillie Gearloc wrote:
Quote:

nobody82b wrote:

However, in reality in my games with Tink I virtually always use the results of the build die I roll at the start of the battle. I can't afford not to deploy a bot in round 1, even if the attachments are less than ideal.


I'm the same way usually, however I do find this situation happen a few times, and would just like to know what I can do when I do want to reroll that build die. Also, as you mentioned this is really just a problem with the build 1.0 die, and not even all the time.


Build Die may be rerolled until desired result - attachments aren't 'applied' until Bot enters Battle Mat.


Josh, when you say the build die may be rerolled until desired result, does this mean you may roll it several times per round (spending 1 Dex for each reroll?).

And can you roll the build die, deploy the bot (with attachments based on the new result of the build die), and roll the attachments at the same turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings! Such great questions. While the rules don't specifically say, the Build Die is intended to be allowed to roll once per round. Like other 'normal' Skill dice, you are allowed to roll (for the cost of a Dex) each turn. The difference is, if you use a Skill Die, you exhaust it... and the Build Die is simply locked back on the Gearloc Mat in each time (without exhausting). This Build Die is exhausted when the Bot hits the Battle Mat.

You may roll, lock in the orientation, select all attachments, deploy the bot (at starting Battery power, or +1 for another Dex if you saved it) in an adjacent or diagonal position. Unfortunately, since you and the Bot both share the exact same turn phases, you will no longer be able to roll dice (Bot's attachments will have to wait a round).

Cheers,

Adam
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.