Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Amazon is selling all 5 expansions plus the character add-on set, all for $94 and free ship coz I have Prime. If I have yet to play the base game so am unsure whether I'll even like it, but if I'm a completist and the empty base game box is taunting me, should I pull the trigger and buy all the expansions? Is $94 a good deal for all 6? Or do I err on the side of caution, ignore the empty slots in my box, and try to play at least one game before committing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play it first unless you have money to burn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the free iPad game if you can't find a local group to play with!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pathfinder-adventures/id9663...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would call the App more of a free demo than anything. The free part of it was pretty short.

On my nexus 5x it used to crash and go unresponsive a lot as well. Gives you an idea of what kind of game it is for sure though.

I heard so many 'its like dnd in a box' reviews I was fairly surprised how purely luck based it was in many ways, and how all the adventures in the main box (and the first expansion) were almost identical. I didn't enjoy it at all solo, enjoyed it a little more with a few friends, but never liked it a LOT. Certainly not enough for me to want to buy any more stuff for it.

Everyone will have their own opinions and I know many people love the game to bits.

Just make sure you like it before you throw a ton of money at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Play it first unless you have money to burn.

Agreed. Many of us love this game (I rate it a 10), but many people hate it as well. And in many cases, I understand why.

Play a couple scenarios with the base set. If you love it, you'll definitely want boxes 2-6, and the character add-on is quite nice to have as well. If you don't like it, cut your losses and sell the base game on to someone who will.

Oh, and only bother with any of it if you're up for a campaign. Playing one-off sessions here or there isn't going to be satisfying. What makes the game special is the campaign character progression.

For me, $95 for 6 boxes is a good deal, but not one I would jump at sight unseen. That's $16/box, where I think full retail is $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, my people, for all the advice. I think I'm going to deal with my empty insert and play the base game to see if I like it. And if I do, maybe Santa will get me the rest of the expansions for Christmas. ;p

Just curious, though. Why do "people hate it", as Kevin mentioned above? Is it the theme or the game play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mtsedwards wrote:
Just curious, though. Why do "people hate it", as Kevin mentioned above? Is it the theme or the game play?

There are lots of threads here on BGG. Just scan the forum thread titles for hints of negativity.

Off the top of my head, here are the complaints I remember:

* Simple gameplay. The charge is that it is "flip a card, roll some dice". Which is true, if you overlook all the little decisions involved. The mechanisms *are* on the lighter side, but generally not as light as the detractors claim.

* Too easy to win. You'll succeed at most scenarios on your first attempt, and you'll rarely be near death. This is true, but the difficulty level is fine for me. The risk of permadeath keeps me on my toes, and the penalty of having to replay a scenario is enough of a deterrent that I won't easily concede.

* Weak theme (part 1). The flavor text in the box isn't enough to really flesh out the story. But the fan-created Adventure Guide (downloadable from BGG) fills that gap nicely.

* Weak theme (part 2). There will be thematic flaws, like running into an aquatic creature in a mountain cave, or an archer in a cave assisting a combat at an outdoor bridge. It's a matter of taste, which bothers some people but not others.

* Not enough ways to cooperate. The only way to help another hero in most encounters is by playing a blessing. Some find it incredibly frustrating (and non-thematic) that if I find a weapon, you can't help me acquire it.

Those are the main ones I can remember. But the threads may reveal others. Also, there is the challenge of getting a consistent group together to play 30+ sessions. That structure just doesn't work for a lot of people or groups, and it's necessary to fully enjoy the game.

I agree with most of those concerns, but for me, the character growth is so compelling that I can easily overlook all of it. My wife (who is not a big gamer) is also addicted to PACG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would expect $20 per expansion, so you are essentially getting one free. I would go for it. Granted, Runelords is my least favorite of the three I've tried (the later sets are harder and more diverse).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
On the price: Expansions are $12.79 from Miniature Market. that's $76.74 for the character add-on and adventures 2-5. MM might have free shipping above some amount too.

Play the game some hours first. Remember it's a meta-deckbuilder, i.e. you improve your deck with cards found during a scenario, but you also trim & optimise between each. So even if you fail a lot (which has been the case for me with the digital version) your deck can be a little stronger each attempt. Replacing weapons and blessings during play makes quite a difference.

The original set is a sightseeing tour relative to Wrath of the Righteous, so if it seems fun but too easy I'd recommend any of the later ones. I think the general leanings of the community is that Mummy's Mask is a great introduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alluvian wrote:
I would call the App more of a free demo than anything. The free part of it was pretty short.

Not sure if they changed it, but I kept at it for a while and bought all of the Rise of the Runelord packs with the in-game currency and not spending a single dime. Even some characters. But you have to really keep at it to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Not enough ways to cooperate. The only way to help another hero in most encounters is by playing a blessing.

I agree people have this criticism, but "the only way...in most" is quite an overstatement.

Many character powers aid other characters, as do a number of spells. A fair number of allies aid other characters, as well a subset of items, weapons, and, much less commonly, armors.

It is true, thought, that the primary co-operative aspect of the game is coordinating your actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
alluvian wrote:

Not sure if they changed it, but I kept at it for a while and bought all of the Rise of the Runelord packs with the in-game currency and not spending a single dime. Even some characters. But you have to really keep at it to do so.

There was recently a major change to the price structure of the app. You can read about it [urr=https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/8/entry-205-price-changes-c...]here[/url]. If I understand it correctly, I think you can no longer purchase the adventures with gold (in game currency). I think you can't buy much with gold anymore, just treasure chests and maybe one or two characters. I'm not sure since I've only mostly bought things with dollars.

I think the change was essentially necessary to make the app viable long term. They just weren't able to bring in enough income with it being essentially entirely free to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.