Subject: Best COIN short scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

The bot in Colonial Twilight has been optimized for the short scenario only, which has led me to wonder:

Which COIN games have the best short scenario? Colonial Twilight has one that I think is quite adequate, and in some ways, is ideal for solitaire.

How would you rank the games that you've played in terms of the shortest scenario that came in the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Roig
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can only speak (at the moment) for Cuba Libre, but it has only one scenario...hahaha.

It's true though, that it exists an "unofficial" short scenario of Cuba Libre, and I've used for teaching reasons and I have to say that works very well.

Collonial Twilight's short scenario is still better playable, in my opinion, by the fact that you only need to control one bot and lets you play often than a 4 players game with 3 bots...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ADP's seems recommendable on many counts: the Government can rely on an enviable Aid 24, which digit is just science-fiction on the Extended scenario. Moreover, the Government is an out-and-out competitor here, if only because they have somehow (how?!) managed to settle in Konduz - just try this feat on the Extended against three humans and see..

Also, the scenario comes in very useful to both the Coalition and the Taliban with a view to improving the military aspects of their game, since they are bound to clash from the very beginning (admittedly, much more than they would be willing to).

All in all, the scenario looks attractive because it's highly challenging: every faction but the Gov't is compelled to fix sub-optimal courses of actions undertaken before 2009.

The only drawback to be stressed is the luck factor: without 24 cards the game may turn out excessively unbalanced in case too many Taliban or Coalition capabilities, or momenta, should be lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In ADP, all Capabilities in the 24 cards that aren't used in the play deck start already in effect.

The main drawback with ADP's "Short" scenario is that it is still 48 Event cards long - i.e., as long as CL's full-length game, and longer than the Medium scenarios in several of the other COIN games.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe because it was my first COIN game (and I'm a bit of a masochist), but my favorite short scenario is the Fire in the Lake "1965-1967 Westy’s War—Escalating battle for the South".

Gets your hands dirty with most of the major rules in about a 2-3 hour game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo Oerjan and the community,

we didn't know that! How come? What you stated is great: please, where has the proposition been issued, if anywhere?

Best,

Nicola

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poppodue wrote:

we didn't know that! How come? What you stated is great: please, where has the proposition been issued, if anywhere?

Best,

Nicola

It's on page 19 of the rules, under "Deck Preparation".

Quote:
Randomly remove and reveal the number of Event cards specified in the scenario—any Capabilities (5.3) among them are in effect, unshaded for Coalition Capabilities and shaded for Taliban (place their markers in their Capabilities boxes). The cards set aside otherwise will not be used.

This rule is optional but I like the interesting starts it produces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, a poor figure cut blush

Believe, a whole page blown blush

Still, the aforementioned stands, and our devotion to

Best and thanks to all

Nicola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jmedelstein wrote:
poppodue wrote:

Best,

Nicola

It's on page 19 of the rules, under "Deck Preparation".

Quote:
Randomly remove and reveal the number of Event cards specified in the scenario—any Capabilities (5.3) among them are in effect, unshaded for Coalition Capabilities and shaded for Taliban (place their markers in their Capabilities boxes). The cards set aside otherwise will not be used.

This rule is optional but I like the interesting starts it produces.

The other way around, actually. The standard rule in ADP is to put all unused Capabilities in effect from the start of the game; not doing so is an optional rule to reduce the complexity of the game...

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meta-ruminations: we started off about CT and ended up discussing ADP; one would be tempted to state... Ubi maior

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the OP, I noticed that.

I found that the short scenario in FitL was especially tough for the NVA - there wasn't a lot of time to get things underway.

Even at 48 cards, a "short" scenario is a short scenario... In ADP, there is a lot to do because the map is bigger. In Cuba Libre, there is no need for a short scenario, really. There is only 9 spaces to worry about.

I haven't tried the short scenario of Falling Sky. I played the long scenario solo, and it was fun, but the Aedui and the Averni got in a loop which basically wiped the Averni off the map (with the help of my Romans, of course). There wouldn't be enough time for that in the short scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting aside the bot business, Colonial Twilight runs faster than the 4-faction games.
We had playtesters completing the Short scenario (all three rounds) in under two hours.
I don't know if that makes it "best" necessarily, but it does make it a candidate for tournament or convention play.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly makes it easier to get to the table, which is important, and also getting more people hooked on COIN, which is also important!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No need for a "true" short scenario in CL? Tell that to all those who complained that CL's official reduced-length (40-card) variant takes too long to play...

BTW, which 4 spaces on the CL map is it that you don't need to worry about?

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
Havana for one, because nobody except the government ever wants to go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
No need for a "true" short scenario in CL? Tell that to all those who complained that CL's official reduced-length (40-card) variant takes too long to play...

Regards,
Oerjan

That's funny that people made such a big deal over 8 cards...sometimes the normal scenario is 40 cards because of when the prop card turns up!

I was counting the spaces quickly in my head...looks like I missed some. Well, let's cede Camaguey, Oriente and Sierra Maestra. And maybe Las Villas because it is too hard to assault in the mountains...

As the government player, I find there isn't much point in venturing much beyond the cities, and La Habana/Pinar anyway...it's way too resource intensive and you can get stretched too thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:
Oerjan wrote:

Regards,
Oerjan

That's funny that people made such a big deal over 8 cards...

They aren't. They are making a big deal over 16 cards, i.e., the difference between the CL reduced-length 40-card scenario and the FitL (and AA, if you have the right C3i issue) 24-card Short scenarios.

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:
Oerjan wrote:

Regards,
Oerjan

That's funny that people made such a big deal over 8 cards...sometimes the normal scenario is 40 cards because of when the prop card turns up!

I was counting the spaces quickly in my head...looks like I missed some. Well, let's cede Camaguey, Oriente and Sierra Maestra. And maybe Las Villas because it is too hard to assault in the mountains...

As the government player, I find there isn't much point in venturing much beyond the cities, and La Habana/Pinar anyway...it's way too resource intensive and you can get stretched too thin.

Nathan, not venturing beyond the cities as Gov't means you're going to tie yourself up with 16, what is not a comfort zone for you.

When I won as Gov't, I had to struggle for each and every support, everywhere across the island, against the most ferocious humans ever met

Spread out, spread out without stretching too thin; after all, isn't reflective equilibrium the Holy Grail of the COIN series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.