Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Still trying to get this put together, but had a few questions about the map. Maybe they are obvious to 18xx players, but since this is my first foray into the genre, I wasn't quite clear on them:

1) The rules talk about it costing an additional $2 to "span" a blue line. Does this only mean if you build a new track in such a way that the "connection" between them would go over the blue line? If you make a rail parallel to the line, are you OK?

1a) For example, if you went from Decatur to the SW, then NW, then NW to red hex on the edge, are you ever "spanning" the line?

1b) What about going from Selma to the SW? Do you span the line, or is your track going "around" the northern edge of the line?

1c) If you CAN go parallel, then in turn 5 or 6 build a track forming a triangle on the other side of a line, would you have to pay an extra $4, since you are connecting 2 "spanning" lines with that one track?

2) This was mentioned in a couple other threads, but I never saw a clear answer. The red-bordered hexes represent going off the map. From what I can see in the rules, the only difference this makes is that you can't upgrade the red-bordered cities. Is this correct? (In one thread there was an example of the $4 city on the right being upgraded, was that a mistake?)

3) Mobile, Montgomery, Anniston, Birmingham, Nashville, and Tupelo all are different colors. What do those represent? My guess is that for all but Birmhingham, this just helps signify the starting cities for the various companies, and Birmingham's color is because it's in the hills? (Does this mean the other cities are considered to be in plains?)

4) The brownish-dashed lines around some hexes is just to help emphasize that they are cities/towns, correct? They seem to only be around the named cities and the big black dot towns, so I think so, but just wanted to be sure.

5) The squares represent where stations can be built, correct? So most towns can only have a station from a single railroad (as they only have one square)? If they have two squares, they can have 2 stations? (if one is a colored square, that means it's a starting station for that company). Is this correct?

6) This is more a curiosity question. I'm not familiar with the geography of Alabama. What do the black lines represent, thematically? Cliffs? Terrain that's just too steep to run a track directly through (you gotta go around)?

Thanks!

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
See if I can answer some of these from what I remember...

The blue lines are rivers so running parallel doesn't cost anything extra - only if you build a bridge over it. Also, if you create a "triangle" of track you only pay for one new connection, not for each place where they touch.

You are correct about the different colors for the starting cities. I don't remember why I had brown for Birmingham... And you are right about the red border cities - they can't be upgraded.

The dotted lines show the urban areas and you are right about the station/town question as well.

And as for the Black lines? Mostly historical reasons and to force certain routes. No cliffs in Alabama.

Glad you are taking the plunge. 18xx is a harsh beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.