Subject: This or Gloomhaven? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am very aware that these two games shouldn't really be compared gameplay wise. What I am interested in is the fun factor. Since these are two of, if not THE two games that are topping the hot list, I'm curious which game has brought more fun to those that have played both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 of my favorite games, but they depend on who you will play them with. Gloomhaven REQUIRES a high-level of gamership, with the card combinations getting VERY thinky. Even though this is my most played game this year, with 23 adventures at 3+ hours each, I actually opted out on the bargain kickstarter when it came around. I just could not see this as casual-friendly, and so it was not going on my shelf.

7th continent is very casual-friendly, and allows for jump-in jump-out gameplay. Very easy to play, though with much depth. Bought a copy for my shelf.

Hope that helps!
-Matthew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very different games, as Mathew says.

If I had to choose, I would definitely choose Gloomhaven, but that doesn't make 7th Continent a bad game by any means.

For both of them, I am mainly experienced with solo play. For group play, it really depends on your gaming group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are fun in different ways, so from a fun point of view you should decide what type of gameplay appeals to you more - exploration/adventure (7th Continent) or Euro-inspired miniatures based dungeon crawl (Gloomhaven).

However, I think a big question is how you plan to play these games. If you play with others, you will need a much more dedicated group to play Gloomhaven since it takes much longer to finish; whereas you can finish a curse in 7th Continent in ~10-15hrs (i.e. let's say 4-5 3hrs game sessions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishenka wrote:

However, I think a big question is how you plan to play these games. If you play with others, you will need a much more dedicated group to play Gloomhaven since it takes much longer to finish; whereas you can finish a curse in 7th Continent in ~10-15hrs (i.e. let's say 4-5 3hrs game sessions).

Yeah, but you can play a complete session of Gloomhaven in a couple hours, so somebody who can't attend every session will get a full "experience" in a few hours. It is just the campaign that will take a *long* time.

For 7th Continent, if people can't attend regularly or don't enjoy keeping track of many details across multiple play sessions, then I think they would find it a lot more frustrating than Gloomhaven.

Really just depends on the group. It's also true that either game supports dropping and adding players between sessions pretty well. But in 7th Continent I feel like a player joining in the middle will feel kind of lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can never find a super duper dedicated group. Someone will leave, someone will not be available, and so on.

It's rare to have the very same party every single time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played close to 100 hours of Gloomhaven (not even halfway through the scenarios) and still absolutely love it. I play 3 characters at a time and I play slowly. Also, I was able to play a lot of random dungeons at a point when none of my characters actually even needed to play storyline scenarios because none of their life goals required it. (I say that because I've read posts of people that have almost finished the whole thing in 100 hours.)

I'm going to pledge the whole mess of whatever is available for 7th Continent when it comes out, but I do not expect to get as much enjoyment from it over the long haul. Although the "first" curse is said to be about 15 hours long, I've heard the other curses can be dealt with in 3 hours.

I've done a ton of research on 7th Continent, and even though it's not perfect (Gloomhaven isn't either, but I rate it a 9.75 out of 10), it appears to be a very unique game that many people have fallen in love with. For the same price, I could get another dungeon crawl, but why would I when I have another 100+ hours to go on Gloomhaven before I get through everything in the box.

Here's the issue, though. If you don't get 7th Continent on the next KS starting in a week, you probably won't be able to get it unless they change their minds about not selling it in retail. Gloomhaven should be a little easier to get down the road, but it could just as easily sell out as well and then who knows (plus, as a legacy game, there will only be used copies from people who, unlike me, haven't stickered up their board and cards).

Your best option if you can only get one is probably to get Gloomhaven. A bester option is to get both.

p.s. Another hot solo game that might become unavailable soon is Nemo's War 2nd edition. It's already sold out at the popular online game stores, but is still available through a few places on Amazon (and the price has inched up close to MSRP--on Amazon, so that tells you something).

So get 'em all, I say! I'll be selling plasma soon at this rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not both? I have a copy of 7th continent which I play solo and I am having a GH campaign game with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a sandbox, Survival game, that feels like a old school point and click computer game, the 7th Continent is for you.

From what I know, which is little about Gloomhaven, there is dungeon crawling and world building...So depends on what type of game you want to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BOTH. But if I HAD to choose it would definitely be Gloomhaven to keep. Fortunately I don't have to choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven, by a noticeable margin unfortunately. 7th Continent is a lot of fun the first time running through. Then you die. The first time I died, I was still pretty excited to sort and put every friggin card away and then start the process of taking them out again.

Each subsequent death sucked more and more fun from the game, for me. As cool and interesting as the concept of hundreds of cards is, the reality of having to keep pulling them out and putting them back was not fun. On it's own, that could have been okay, but then the game throws some pretty cheap shots at you that can end a run and force that same condition of restarting.

When you start finding yourself tempted to fudge result steps because you just don't want to restart again, that's a problem. Sure, there's an easy mode that basically gives you a restart, but that seemed equally cheap.

Gloomhaven, on the other hand, stayed on my table for 4+ months.

I don't think 7th Continent is a bad game - it really is a lot of fun those first couple of times through. However, for a strict "more fun" comparison with Gloomhaven? It's an easy choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two favourite games in recent history. Get both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.