Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you didn't catch this great news, Great Western Trail took 2nd place for the 2017 Deutscher SpielePreis!

Congratulations to Alexander Pfister and the Eggertspiele team. This is one of my personal favorites last year and so glad to see it recognized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Marchetto
Italy
Latina
LT
flag msg tools
Nice... just out of curiosity, which one took 1st place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krisztian Posch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hope this helps.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1850427/winner-deutscher-sp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
Terraforming Mars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Western Tale vs Terraforming Marzzzzz
anwei wrote:
Terraforming Mars
I played both soon after they became available. I immediately went and got my own copy of GWT, but haven't even attempted to play another game of TM. The quick explanation is that the former feels like fun and the latter feels like a day in an office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to Alex Pfister.

I think GWT is a better game and should have taken first place. I too voted such with my wallet. I purchased a copy of GWT but not TM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hear, hear!

Terraforming Mars also left me cold after two plays, but GWT saw 20+ plays and would've also been my pick for game of the year.

After Mombasa and GWT I can't wait to see Mr. Pfister's next heavy offering!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Huter
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:

Terraforming Mars also left me cold after two plays, but GWT saw 20+ plays and would've also been my pick for game of the year.

Pretty much sums up my feeling on the two games. The only difference for me, was that I was meh on Terraforming Mars after a single play. Repeated plays has not changed that assessment.

I purposely have not picked-up a copy of Terraforming Mars. I've played TM a few times now. I don't hate it, but I'd never suggest playing it. GWT, however, is a game that I truly enjoy. GWT has a depth and uniqueness about it that rewards repeated plays.

TM just feels like a lot of other card games. Can I locate and play those killer combos during the coarse of the game?

Ten years ago when I was newish to modern board games, I would have loved TM. Now, it just doesn't feel that special. I'd be curious to see ratings of TM split between newer players (e.g., less than 5 years in the hobby) and veterans (e.g., 5 years plus). I suspect TM has done significantly better with the newer crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to both, I still do not understand why TM is so highly rated, but good for them. My 2 plays of the game were all I ever need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Weimholt
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
If I beat your score, you must *really* suck.
badge
jbhuter6041 wrote:
verandi wrote:

Pretty much sums up my feeling on the two games. The only difference for me, was that I was meh on Terraforming Mars after a single play. Repeated plays has not changed that assessment.

I purposely have not picked-up a copy of Terraforming Mars. I've played TM a few times now. I don't hate it, but I'd never suggest playing it. GWT, however, is a game that I truly enjoy. GWT has a depth and uniqueness about it that rewards repeated plays.

TM just feels like a lot of other card games. Can I locate and play those killer combos during the coarse of the game?

Ten years ago when I was newish to modern board games, I would have loved TM. Now, it just doesn't feel that special. I'd be curious to see ratings of TM split between newer players (e.g., less than 5 years in the hobby) and veterans (e.g., 5 years plus). I suspect TM has done significantly better with the newer crowd.

My sediments precisely. To me TM is like an ugly baby. I want to love it, but I just can't. I've played TM 5 or 6 times now, even though I didn't enjoy my first couple plays of it. I keep playing it hoping that my opinion of it will change, but it never does, and for the exact reason you cited. I just can't get excited about games where all you're doing is trying to find those killer card combos. Sure, there's a little bit more to it than that, but that's the game's core mechanic. I used to love games like that, because it felt like I was exploring the game, and discovering all these great possibilities, but these days it just feels like a chore.

GWT, on the other hand, is a game I loved instantly the first time I played it. I wasn't even 1/3 of the way through the game and I already knew I needed to have my own copy of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudo to Mr Pfister. thumbsup
verandi wrote:

Hear, hear!

After Mombasa and GWT I can't wait to see Mr. Pfister's next heavy offering!

Same here :
1) only 1 play of TM and i didn't like it. Very bland and boring game to me.

2) GWT is great, i still play it (about 20 games under my belt) but i prefer Mombasa because it is deep, meaty yet very interactive. It is right up my alley.

3) For the next game of Mr Pfister : Tybor der Baumeister
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skazz of Discworld
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own TM, GWT, Feast for Odin and Scythe and I like them all a lot. So this years Voting really represent my taste of games. Except the fact that Mech vs. Minons was not in the list.

And There will be a GWT promo in the Goodie box 2017 (and a Feast for Odin promo as well). A new building!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
skazz wrote:
I own TM, GWT, Feast for Odin and Scythe and I like them all a lot. So this years Voting really represent my taste of games. Except the fact that Mech vs. Minons was not in the list.

And There will be a GWT promo in the Goodie box 2017 (and a Feast for Odin promo as well). A new building!

Any idea where I can find out more about the goodie box that isn't in German? And whether I can purchase said goodie box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chew
msg tools
mbmbmb
I own both GWT and TFM and both are my favorites of 2016 with GWT on a slight edge better. This is because GWT is more strategically incline while TFM is more tactical due to the random cards nature. I'm glad both games had been made soloable to test strategies on my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also own both and enjoy both. I think it's great that they both get recognition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.