Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shouclack Shouclack
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys! Kudo for such a fantastic game!

I'd like to have a clarification about donations at very start of the campaign (before scenario 1). It's mention in the scenario book that you can a lot of things related to city visit like; do City event before leaving. Also, you suggest some recommended equipment for each class to buy with the starting 30GP. There is no mention if we can buy Blessings by donating...

Is it allowed to donate just before the very first scenario? Thematically, it make sense but I wasn't sure if that wouldn't make to first scenario too easy to complete

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think being able to donate is out of the question, if you want to spent the money, go for it. There is always the possibility to never draw the blessings when in a scenario, so there should be no danger of the mission(s) becoming to easy to complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Loehr
Canada
flag msg tools
I think you can give to the sanctuary before doing your first scenario since you are in Gloomhaven and all city actions are unlocked from the very begining. I would advise gearing up before donating though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
midgar wrote:
I think you can give to the sanctuary before doing your first scenario since you are in Gloomhaven and all city actions are unlocked from the very begining. I would advise gearing up before donating though.

It's a very poor idea though. You need equipment more than blessings. If you run into bad luck and lose the first scenario, you lose your blessings you didn't pull. If you buy equipment, they refresh and you try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
midgar wrote:

It's a very poor idea though. You need equipment more than blessings. If you run into bad luck and lose the first scenario, you lose your blessings you didn't pull. If you buy equipment, they refresh and you try again.

It might be that he wants to donate for a personal goal, and honestly gear isn't that nessessary for the first few dungeons. It is more about learning how to use your cards effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
It might be that he wants to donate for a personal goal, and honestly gear isn't that nessessary for the first few dungeons. It is more about learning how to use your cards effectively.

? When this game first launched, I remember hearing how "tough" the first two scenarios were (we can pull up all the threads)-- we beat both with no replay, but it was challenging. We also all used potions, and I personally benefited from the Eagle Eye goggles. The equipment is very much needed.

Now, maybe now that you know the game, you can beat them since you understand the flow; however, a new player? Not having equipment will be punishing to most. Donating to the Oak can be done later-- there's no need to rush it, and every reason not to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Loehr
Canada
flag msg tools
The first scenario is slightly more than half a normal scenario, it is on the very easy side of things once you understand the mechanics of the game. Now, for first time players, it is challenging do to new strategy, learning a new character, and common rules errors will all be compounded in the same scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can absolutely donate before the first scenario. Several of us did it, and it worked out fine.

You could also spend all your money on items, or not spend money at all. These are all valid choices and don't let anyone tell you different!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.