Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played first game today, using recommended pirates and robots for 2 players. I drew an "easy" rated blueprint of build a food establishment with a pirate theme. I never did get it completed and found out at game end that there are only 2 restaurants in the entire 2 decks, and one of them (the one I had) didn't even allow upgrades. My opponent had the card I needed in his park. How come this is classified as easy when there is only one card that will fulfill the objective in the entire deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find this list of cards useful (although it won't specify any restrictions etc on cards)

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1743497/theme-pack-card-lis...

as for "easy" the steps required to score are easy compared to some of the requirements to score a blueprint, essentially you need a theme (3 Pirate Themes in the deck) on a Restaurant (usually one in each deck) - two cards and your done.

Unfortunately the combination of Themes taken made one of the restaurant choices a bust (Robot) conversely the Seafood Shack (Pirate) has a free cost to play a Pirate Theme on it so if you had the card you could conceivably complete the Blueprint quite easily.

Generally speaking if I don't have at least the base attraction required to start the chain (in your case a restaurant) in play or in my hand I won't hold onto a blueprint. Might be playing too safe but I like to give myself good odds of completing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
The combination you describe is unfortunate, and I agree in that particular situation, the blueprint required more knowledge of the cards than could be expected in your first game.

The difficulty level of the blueprints is set by the points value of the main requirement, and the requirement point score is based on how many pieces are required, what type of pieces they are, and how common those pieces are.

The difficulty rating is suitable to what the blueprint requires with the proviso that you must have access to the base attractions before you accept the blueprint.

Adding a Pirate theme to a Food Outlet is, in general, easy, if you have a Food Outlet in place. There are three "loose" Pirate themes in the pack, and because they're upgrades and not attractions, even if someone else has built them all, you can still try to take them for yourself. The Food Outlet in the Pirate pack even allows building the Pirate theme for free.

It's an Easy blueprint compared to others, because it requires only one upgrade rather than, say, four, and only one type of attraction instead of two.

Unfortunately I can't assign the difficulty for the blueprints based on the worst possible case, because that occurs when your opponents have all the cards you would need in hand already - every card would need to be marked "Worst Case: Impossible".

So blueprints do need to come with a warning that attractions can be hard to get, and blueprints should be selected based on what you know you have available. We plan to address this when revising the rulebook shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, good answers. I really liked the first game we played, can't wait to get it played more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R F
msg tools
The un-upgradable Robot Food Outlet has caught out our group a couple of times, since in a 2 player game it means there's effectively only one food outlet to use with any food outlet requiring blueprints (of which there are many). It's a niche-end case - requires a 2 player game, one of the decks being Robots, and a food blueprint to be completed - but it's still come up 4 or 5 times.

But I think the problem is in the Fast Food Outlet rather than the Blueprint Difficulties in this case. I like the Fast Food Outlet as a concept, but I really wish it was "Upgrades cost double" instead of completely un-upgradable, leaving as a prospect for completing blueprints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Garneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is a fast food outlet of a attraction park. It is designed to be cheap and just here to offer a minimal pause. It is the sedentary version of the mobile hot dog stand. I do not see it as a problem more that a quirk that you need to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Finch
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Jeff has identified is exactly the point of the Fast Food joint. It's the dodgy looking caravan that sells the best corn dogs and donuts you've ever tasted, but there's no renovating that thing. The weight of the air conditioning unit would probably cause it to collapse, and then where could I get my crunchy, hot, fresh cinnamon-and-sugar donut fix?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
Played first game today, using recommended pirates and robots for 2 players. I drew an "easy" rated blueprint of build a food establishment with a pirate theme. I never did get it completed and found out at game end that there are only 2 restaurants in the entire 2 decks, and one of them (the one I had) didn't even allow upgrades. My opponent had the card I needed in his park. How come this is classified as easy when there is only one card that will fulfill the objective in the entire deck?

This bit us too on our first play. My wife got the blueprint and couldn't finish it because I built the upgradeable food outlet. She laughed it off at the end because she's a good sport and we really enjoyed the game, but I still felt bad for her considering the card distribution conspiring against her. It's unfortunate that the recommended first play theme combo for 2p has this situation that has a high probability of coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
It's unfortunate that the recommended first play theme combo for 2p has this situation that has a high probability of coming up.
I agree, it's something we're looking at a change to address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.