BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Space Themed BB shooting game 80s - Can't remember name rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Space Cowboy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to remember the name of a game I had as a kid. Actually to be honest, I never knew it.

I've drawn a mock up below of what it looked like.

It was two players. It was a physics based game, where you aimed your cannon at the other player, and pressed a button to fire a spring loaded BB across a slanted plane so that it would arc to hit your opponent's ships and flip them over. Players took turns firing one at a time until one player's ships were all destroyed.

I've literally never heard anyone else that has heard of or played this game. If anyone has, it would be here.

Help me BoardGameGeek, you are my only hope...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery_game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Cowboy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
No. This was a real world, physical game. But, the idea was very much like Worms or Scorched earth.

The ships were on a rod. When they hit, they would flip over and an explosion sticker was there. The BBs would only knock them over on a direct hit, and would often go between them or off to the side, where they would replenish the ammo pool of the opposing cannon.

The plane was sheet metal I believe, and it had an awesome sci-fi space battle printed on the background.

The whole thing was self contained behind clear plastic so you wouldn't lose the bbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you mean like a physical game and not a video game? Your mock-up threw me off.

Best of luck to you on a physical game though, no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yer I remember that, sadly not the name though. It was from before I got crossbow and catapults I'm pretty sure, so it must be older than that. Crossbow and Catapults was released in 1983, if that helps narrow down the search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Meteor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Cowboy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
No, the cannons were like in my picture, at the corners of the device. Also the whole unit was encased in a clear plastic so you couldn't actually touch the ships with your fingers. I think you could flip the ships with your fingers from the bottom of the game though, to reset a ship.

You couldn't fire directly at the ships like you could in Meteor, you had to shoot up and let the BB follow a parabolic arc to hit the other ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceCowboy850 wrote:
No, the cannons were like in my picture, at the corners of the device. Also the whole unit was encased in a clear plastic so you couldn't actually touch the ships with your fingers. I think you could flip the ships with your fingers from the bottom of the game though, to reset a ship.

You couldn't fire directly at the ships like you could in Meteor, you had to shoot up and let the BB follow a parabolic arc to hit the other ship.

Was the outside of the base orange and black plastic, with a clear plastic top? That's the one I'm remembering? The inside play base had an old school space battle graphic going on, dark blues and black mainly.

I was small at the time, so the dimensions may be off but I remember thinking it was about 30-40cm in length and about half as wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Cowboy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
That sounds about right.

There was a cool space battle picture on the background.

I think the difficulty is I seem to think the name of the game wasn't on the device, but I could be mis-remembering that.

Either that or the name was something super generic like "Space Battle!" or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Cowboy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Another mock up, in 3D...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep apart from the colour scheme that's what I'm remembering. I don't think I ever knew the name of it.

I've tried searching for it and asked my older brother if he remembered it, but no luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Cowboy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yeah, thanks, I think it might be one of those few things lost to time. Super fun game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Cowboy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Found it!

Space Ballistic Missile Wars!

Trent, you really helped me. Narrowing it down to around 1983-84 helped.

Then I'm sitting here tonight, thinking "they had to have advertised that", and I found an old Christmas catalogs archived online. So I started flipping through to find the games, and here it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done.

My memory was a little off, but that's the game. No wonder I didn't remember the name though. By the time I get home I'll have forgotten it again.

$7.99 wow they were the days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Now submit it to the DB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Cowboy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Submitted! Never thought I'd submit an entry to a DB as large as BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.