Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan MacKellar
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So Scott's thread on variants and expansions got me thinking of Pocket Airship.

The player plays the airship captain flanked by two support aircraft.

I still need to finish the full ruleset, but gameplay is similar to "Landship"

Biggest difference is the "Bombing Run" counter. The game lasts 13 turns or until your Airship is destroyed, whichever comes first. The counter is a D6. Turn it down one pip each turn. You reset it on the "Bomb-drop" turn and start back at 6 to return home.

Still toying with allocating the "one less die" for the enemy. Maybe allocate to left and right or left and centre/right and centre, implying a misfire for one of the enemy. It could also have the player assign to whichever ones they want (I like the first option better)

Second is repairs. The support aircraft would have no option to repair (neither would the enemy) but the Airship would likely have the option to repair one point of damage as "patch-up", possibnly more.

I've played this version on my own, but I'd like to see the community's reaction.

Dan MacKellar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool to see this. I will try it out tonight.

A couple questions/thoughts:

1) For enemy aircraft, the "Scramble" action says "Switch with left or right aircraft". So, if this card is in the center position, the player chooses which to switch with? And, if this card is in the right position and the anti-aircraft guns are in the left, I assume you do NOT switch since it says switch with aircraft, not the card? (In Pocket Landship, I always had the enemy cards swap towards their strong side - left/lower numbers or right/higher numbers - depending on which numbers would do more damage.)

2) For player repairs, maybe the damaged card (thematically, probably just the support aircraft, not the airship) could "Land at Friendly Airstrip" to repair +2. Do this by physically taking this card out of the game for 2 turns (setting it aside, or turning it sideways). The player would only roll 2 dice for these 2 turns, so they would feel a little limited until that other support plane got back. Just a thought. In Pocket Landship that ability of one card to repair itself +2 or another card +1 is important to the overall flow and feel of the game. I didn't realize how important that was until I tried to create the alternate loadouts (the Corvette and Shock Troops that couldn't repair each other - until I made some tweaks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan MacKellar
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good feedback. I love the idea for repairing the support planes. I will play test this a bit more tonight and see how that works. I'll also work on the ruleset.

Interesting for the swap/scramble. Looks like I might need to rethink that one.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I played 2 games and won the both, didn't lose any aircraft, although the second game was closer.

First game, ended with my Airship at 5, and my planes at 2 and 3.

Second game, ended with my Airship at 2, and my planes at 1 and 2.

Here is sort of mid game in game 1:

I thought it was mid-game. Two turns later, I won:

Some thoughts:

Overall, I liked it, I thought it worked, but could probably use some tweaks.

The "Evade" action for the player doesn't really evade. I would prefer it called Evade, but the action would be "No damage next turn".

The first game, I got lucky with dice rolls. The Llama was in the front center position and I think it got assigned a 4 at least 3 times (gun jam, no action). Having swap actions for the enemy like in Pocket Landship (moving 1 position to the left or right) would have prevented this since the Llama or one of the other front planes probably would have gotten a swap sometime during the game. As is stands now, if the Llama is in the front center position, it is likely to be stuck there since its swap action is on a 6 and that won't happen often as the middle plane. BUT, the 4 action will happen often in the middle. I think a minor tweak of swapping the 4 action with the 6 action on that card would fix it. This is a good example of discovering tiny little details that you don't even know exist until you start playing the game.

Based on my 2 games, I didn't need to repair my planes, but it would be nice to have that friendly airstrip nearby if needed.

The enemy could use a little more variety, but I'm not sure what that could be. In Landship their are mostly enemy landships, but also: artillery, infantry, mine fields, and ambushes. It would be nice to come up with that kind of variety in enemies, but thematically, I don;t know what that would be.

Cool stuff. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

Based on my 2 games, I didn't need to repair my planes, but it would be nice to have that friendly airstrip nearby if needed.

Since this is a bomb run into enemy territory, maybe the friendly airstrip is only available on the first 3 turns and the last 3 turns, while you are over friendly territory. So, maybe use the counter die as a "miles from target" die, starting 6 miles away (or 60, not sure what the range of WWI aircraft was). You can only go to the friendly airstrip to repair on the 6, 5, or 4. Once you get to the 1 on the die, rather than resetting it to 6, count back up from 1 to 6. So, your aircraft could only repair on the first 3 moves of the game and the last 3. That is thematic, which I like.

Something to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan MacKellar
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome feedback. I'll incorporate those into the next revision.

Re: Variety, I did add the anti-aircraft placement, but I know what you mean. Maybe a second AA placement? Some tweaks to think about for sure.

I like the "first 3 and last 3" turn idea for the friendly airstrip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Anything going on with this lately

2) Good ideas here

3) Aftwr playing PL: 2nd Front today, I want an integrateable option of either a 2nd player or a pseudo-campaign.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
Where can I find the rules to Pocket Airship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lakatos
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Guess - just use the cards from above and fill in any gaps with the suggestions above and the PL rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Dan hasn't been on BGG for 3 weeks. I can try to write up rules this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, my attempt at rules for Dan's game based on some feedback provided here.

I changed the "Swap" action on a couple enemy planes to move to their more difficult side (where they cause more damage to the player's cards).

Basically, the game is played the same as Pocket Landship with 2 exceptions:
1) The game lasts 12 turns as counted on one D6 "Bomb Drop" die.
a) Start the game with the die at "6". This represent the miles from the enemy target.
b) After each turn, adjust the die down by 1.
c) Once at "1", your airship drops it bombs on the target, then must return to base. Do not change the die after this turn.
d) Next turn, and every turn after, adjust the die UP by 1.
e) After the turn where the die started at 6, the game ends. So, the die value at the beginning of each turn of the game will be: 6 5 4 3 2 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 If your airship survives till the end of all 12 turns, you win.

2) Repairing your support aircraft: While you are over friendly territory (die value of 6, 5, or 4), you may choose to repair one or both of your support aircraft by sending them to a friendly air strip.
a) On your turn, if over friendly territory, you may rotate a support aircraft 90 degrees to indicate it is headed to friendly airstrip for repairs. Do not roll a die for this card this turn.
b) On your next turn, the support aircraft is being repaired. Rotate the card another 90 degrees. Do not roll a die for this card this turn.
c) On your next turn, the aircraft returns to your formation (rotate it back to correct orientation) and add +2 to it's health.

I think that's it. Does it make sense?

Thanks.

And Dan, next time you are here, please feel free to correct any of this, add to it, fully document the rules, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.