Subject: Not enough tomes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I love Daisy's tome ability and her knapsack that let's you keep more of hem on hand. Add research librarian and there's a neat little engine.

But here's the thing: there aren't enough times. Only 3 positive ones plus the necronomicon and the Book of Shadows that Daisy can't put on her second anyway.

Either the Dunwich Legacy nor Carcosa (so far) adds any, so I feel like Daisy's options are limited without more cool tomes to play. C'mon FFG, print more tomes.

I want the times. Give me the tomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
I think you missed "Archaic Glyphs: Untranslated" from Path to Carcosa. Probably there will be an upgraded version of this similar to the strange solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Degnan

Massachusetts
msg tools
I don't think Daisy is suffering from a lack of Tomes.

She can have 6 in her deck if she runs all of them(pre Carcosa). Even just 4+Librarians is pretty solid. That said, having a second high-level tome for the Librarians to search for will be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Old Book of Lore and Encyclopedia are stellar (I'm not at all a fan of Medical Texts myself), and between those and Research Librarian Daisy can get a useful tome out early quite consistently, at least if you have two core sets.

However, I totally agree with you that it would be nice to have more options. You would be crazy not to include Old Book of Lore, you probably buy Encyclopedia fairly early, and there's not much else in the way of deckbuilding decisions here. Some variety would be good. I'm sure it'll happen soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also at least one story asset Tome out there.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Just the other day I had Daisy clutching two different editions of the Necronomicon. She was swimming in resources, but having her hands full apparently made starting the Essex Express engine difficult -- she Elder Signed into an auto-fail twice while doing it.

But it's true that despite being halfway through my second Daisy Dunwich, I have yet to have need of the Tote Bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wilgus
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Right. This is my point. Not that the set isn't solid, there's just not much variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
But it's true that despite being halfway through my second Daisy Dunwich, I have yet to have need of the Tote Bag.

Pretty much the main reason to want the Tote Bag is because you've got your hands full and you haven't drawn The Necronomicon yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
Just the other day I had Daisy clutching two different editions of the Necronomicon. She was swimming in resources, but having her hands full apparently made starting the Essex Express engine difficult -- she Elder Signed into an auto-fail twice while doing it.

How could Daisy clutch "two different editions" of the Necronomicon? Wouldn't the Unique rule disallow that, even if they had different subtitles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butaman551 wrote:
CSerpent wrote:

How could Daisy clutch "two different editions" of the Necronomicon? Wouldn't the Unique rule disallow that, even if they had different subtitles?

Neither card is Unique, so no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Side note: I'll have INXS' "Not Enough Time" stuck in my head the rest of the day because of this thread, so thanks for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
Butaman551 wrote:
CSerpent wrote:

They aren't are they? Always assumed they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butaman551 wrote:
CSerpent wrote:
Butaman551 wrote:
CSerpent wrote:

They aren't are they? Always assumed they were.

Honestly, I thought so for a while too. Maybe it's one of those Mandela Effect things. Which incidentally would make a good treachery card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
Maybe it's one of those Mandela Effect things. Which incidentally would make a good treachery card.

Maybe two children's books with maddeningly similar titles and contents
(Really Bad Things happen if you draw both!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What bothers me about Daisy is that she has one of the least useful abilities and least useful Signatures, and she's still one of the best Investigators just by being a Seeker with Intellect (and Spells).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Esgaldil wrote:
What bothers me about Daisy is that she has one of the least useful abilities and least useful Signatures, and she's still one of the best Investigators just by being a Seeker with Intellect (and Spells).

Not sure I'd call a free use of Encyclopedia per turn to be the least useful.

What do you mean you don't always have Encyclopedia out? Doesn't everyone just mulligan or Cryptic Research into it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:

Her special ability is quite good. If she gets Old Book of Lore out on turn 1 (and if she runs 2 copies of Old Book of Lore and 2 copies of Research Librarian and mulligans for them, she has a >80% chance of doing that), she gets a free draw every turn for herself or a teammate. And it's much better than a normal draw since you have a little choice and will never get a weakness. It requires a little setup, but once it gets going it's much more powerful than, say, Jenny's 1 extra resource every turn, or Skids's spend 2 resources for an action once a turn. The Encyclopedia can also be useful.

She's no Rex (his special ability often amounts to 2 or 3 extra actions per turn, which is nuts), but her ability is above-average, I think. Add in her access to powerful Seeker cards and nicely specialized stat line and I think she's the second-best investigator in the game.

However, I do agree that her unique asset is pretty bad. It's a shame, because I like the flavor of it, but it doesn't do much. Even considering her weakness you just don't need that many hand slots. Playing the tote bag and playing multiple tomes is expensive and slow, while having only one copy of either Old Book of Lore or Encyclopedia in play is fine and is enough to take full advantage of Daisy's ability. Moreover, if you cram your deck full of cards that require hand slots to take advantage of the tote bag, you'll be at a big disadvantage when you don't draw the tote bag... which will be the majority of games, since there's only one in your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:

Don't forget, though, that her Elder sign ability is actually useful, unlike all the ones that simply give +X for some number of things...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:

Don't forget, though, that her Elder sign ability is actually useful, unlike all the ones that simply give +X for some number of things...

Except on the depressingly frequent occasions when it's an autofail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkham Chronicle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shplay wrote:
there aren't enough tomes.

C'mon FFG, print more tomes.

Give me the tomes.

Finally someone who agrees with us!

The Arkham Chronicle Gang

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.