The 7th Continent» Forums » Variants

Subject: Saving more than one map tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Farnsworth
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I have read and watched a lot of reviews and forums of the 7th continent, as well as read through the rules of the game, but have not yet had the opportunity to play. I plan on backing the kickstarter, and am quite excited about it.

In my research, I have found something which somewhat concerns me. That is the fact that when you save the game, you essentially lose the entire map that you had explored up to that point, making what should have been a short 30 second journey to go from A to B into a sprawling 30 minute odyssey. This has lead people to simply leave the game all set up in favor of saving it. As I understand, though, the map requires an occasional save in order to clear the terrain cards, and keep the map from getting "stale"; where it will lack the random exploration fog encounters, or the alternate terrain cards, which could have something important.

I do have a thought to address this in a thematic way, but I need some spoiler-free input from you 7th Continent veterans out there; I have no idea if unforeseen events or mechanics will render this idea useless, or boring.

This is my thought:
As you explore, there will only be "X" amount of terrain cards revealed at any given time. Lets say that number is 7, for the sake of the theme. So after you have revealed 7 terrain cards, with each terrain card you then reveal, you will remove the oldest one on the table. This will give you a limited area that you can see, and may enhance the exploration feel of the game, since you can't see (or remember) everything from past tiles. This will make the map automatically refresh itself, and keep it from getting stale too. When you want to save the game, you will save all 7 of the terrain cards, not just the one. This will eliminate the downside of saving the game, and will give a little bit of elbow room after starting a saved game.

I do think it would be cool and impressive to see the entire map at once, but I am willing to forego that if this idea works as I imagine it.

What do you guys think? Will this work? Will it be fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrej Medved
Slovenia
Kozina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't play it yet.. but at least what I saw&made a logical conclusion from the first curse clue.. you move to some target area (1st curse clue gives you a map)so you know you should go up,up,left,up.. etc.

So you save the top most tile as it is the closest to the end and you are ready for your next game. No need to save the 6 tiles that are further away from your destination.

Of course you can then go back (down in this case) to find hunt or other stuff but it's your choice to make another 30 mins odyssey or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is that each time you rest, the world around you keeps on living. That's why you encounter different events when you go from one terrain card to another.
That being said, it can be extremely annoying, especially when you're low on health and you just want a quick trip to the next hunting spot.

Saving multiple terrain cards I don't see as a problem. Usually you want to refresh hunting spot and with the RAW you can't because easy hunting cards are banished anyway. So aside from alternate terrain cards, which are rather seldom, nothing should be broken by doing so.

As for exploring 7 cards at most, the impact really depends on whether or not you intend to backtrack. I once had the whole left to right Continent displayed on my table and needed to backtrack fast so it would have been very punishing for me. It's really a matter of taste there. I'd rather have several cards on display since I can fast travel through the entire map, keep my fire alive and gain access to several resources, when resetting the 8th card could mean I lose fire without the possibility of building it back up, or need to mill my deck because I forgot to get something 9 cards away, which I could easily grab back with the RAW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think keeping only 7 cards out at any time what be incredibly frustrating, as we might very well back track by much much more than that in an hour or two's gaming. Also I like seeing our map expand during a session.

I can imagine choosing to keep more than 1 card for the next game, but in our games we've usually tried hard to get to end our game on a card that we're happy to start from next time and ideally move in a direction that we haven't just been exploring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have not found the Save mechanic to be a really big problem, honestly.

There have been a few times that navigating over previously explored terrain ate up some action cards but... that's the game. That's working as designed. Sometimes I fall in a hole and that eats up a bunch of cards too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
There have been a few times that navigating over previously explored terrain ate up some action cards but... that's the game. That's working as designed. Sometimes I fall in a hole and that eats up a bunch of cards too.

I can see why someone would want to houserule some things though I did houserule hunts myself. It's helped me enjoy the game more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to me deciding to save in strategic spots is part of the enjoyment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Aguirre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grantfarnsworth wrote:
I have read and watched a lot of reviews and forums of the 7th continent, as well as read through the rules of the game, but have not yet had the opportunity to play. I plan on backing the kickstarter, and am quite excited about it.

In my research, I have found something which somewhat concerns me. That is the fact that when you save the game, you essentially lose the entire map that you had explored up to that point, making what should have been a short 30 second journey to go from A to B into a sprawling 30 minute odyssey. This has lead people to simply leave the game all set up in favor of saving it. As I understand, though, the map requires an occasional save in order to clear the terrain cards, and keep the map from getting "stale"; where it will lack the random exploration fog encounters, or the alternate terrain cards, which could have something important.

I do have a thought to address this in a thematic way, but I need some spoiler-free input from you 7th Continent veterans out there; I have no idea if unforeseen events or mechanics will render this idea useless, or boring.

This is my thought:
As you explore, there will only be "X" amount of terrain cards revealed at any given time. Lets say that number is 7, for the sake of the theme. So after you have revealed 7 terrain cards, with each terrain card you then reveal, you will remove the oldest one on the table. This will give you a limited area that you can see, and may enhance the exploration feel of the game, since you can't see (or remember) everything from past tiles. This will make the map automatically refresh itself, and keep it from getting stale too. When you want to save the game, you will save all 7 of the terrain cards, not just the one. This will eliminate the downside of saving the game, and will give a little bit of elbow room after starting a saved game.

I do think it would be cool and impressive to see the entire map at once, but I am willing to forego that if this idea works as I imagine it.

What do you guys think? Will this work? Will it be fun?

There's no problem saving an entire map and attached cards using the system provided. I do that when I don't feel it's time to 'sleep'. And it takes me exactly 5 minutes to save. Installing the game back, maybe 10...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.