Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game arrived today and I was really eager to try out a few solo to get a feel for the game and each Gearloc. I got three games in each with a different 'Loc and Tyrant all on Greenhorn difficulty.

First up was Picket against The Goblin King. My first Loot was Raider Armor and that made Picket nigh unstoppable. After hitting Innate +1 I smacked the Goblin King for 7 Damage with a Shield Bash. Borderline broken, but awesome.

Next up was Boomer against Mulmesh. I was a little concerned with how well she'd play in solo being the 'squishiest' of the base game Gearlocs, but her burst damage capability is impressive. During the Mulmesh encounter I literally threw everything at him: Frag, Bigger Boom, Throw Odds, and a couple Attack dice to drop him in a single attack. Good times.

Then came Tantrum. The doomed expedition of poor, ill-fated Tantrum in his campaign to overthrow the evil Gendricks. How evil is Gendricks? Couldn't tell ya as Tantrum was forced to return home after having only made 4 progress towards his goal by Day 8. A Golden Golem flattened the angry little 'Loc before he could so much as growl in its direction. Later a Troll Sage laughed as Tantrum struggled to pierce its Thick Skin and only managed to knock aside its Defense which was simply brought again to the ready in the following round.

So, all thematic embellishment aside, I had a really rough time with Tantrum. In hindsight it was probably a really dumb idea to try to take on the 20 Point Golem on Day 5. Watching it one-shot the Troll Brute before it had a chance to act was just foreshadowing of my own fate and a real "Oh sh-" eye opener for me. It was all downhill from there with the next three encounters being losses.

I don't know if it was bad luck with encounters, Gendricks bringing a nasty baddie set to the table, or my bad play of Tantrum, but he's been the hardest for me to play solo. Granted it's only my third game and first go at playing him. With 0 starting defense the baddies just ripped me apart before it got back around to my turn again. The RAGE mechanic is cool, but taking damage from 3 or 4 sources meant I was generally in Breakdown before I could best utilize it.

So, all this said, any tips from any seasoned solo Tantrum players? Any essential skills I needed to take? Should I have trained even more HP? Is the Def investment worth it? Who do you struggle to play as in the solo game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny - I just played Tantrum vs Gendricks last night (on Greenhorn). Almost every battle was down to the wire with 1-2 HP left, but he won every one. I could have faced Gendricks on day 9, but since he was solo, and thus the battle doesn't get any harder the longer you wait (no BQ), I went one more day for more exp points, and loot (finally got healing loot, yay!). I was also fortunate and got the Reinforced Buckler very early in the game.

I ended up with HP+2, DEX+5, ATK+2, DEF+1 although they were all taken away in the last battle. I was sure glad for my Buckler and Oggot Herbs! I also went in with full body count so that really helped.

For skills, I had all 3 rage dice (although I never used the third), and all 3 green dice (those were crucial), a some less critical orange dice.

Gendricks threw up one orb and I hit it once with an axe, but then left it alone. I wasn't throwing bones, so it didn't hurt me much. I think I got pretty lucky with rolls.

Also note - that was my second try of the night. The first try Tantrum got trounced!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure you played the golden golem solo encounter incorrectly. You can control the golem and have it not use its break ability or defence so it is almost dead from the other baddies by the time you come to the battle.

Watch Ricky Royal video in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrRSProAlt8&feature=youtu.be

For playing Tantrum, debuffing (cripple, disable) are key, so is axe collector and Like a Kobold.

Assuming you are playing greenhorn difficulty, before day 4 you should have at least 5 training points (the initial one plus two for each of the first two days. or if you went for loot in day 1, get a training point in day 3).

These should go to improve Dex twice, Defence once, Like a Kobold and then Cripple or Way of the Wild (depends on what enemies you are facing, in a Gendrics game I'd get Way of the Wild first as the Disable can help neutralise the Hardy ability).

With 5 Dex, you should be aiming to roll 1 Defence, 2 attack and one of your three skills each round. The extra 1 Dex goes for movement or a 3rd attack if you are conveniently placed next to a baddie.

Begin the game with Like a Kobold, unless you are facing an enemy with a nasty combination of abilities you can shut down (like Poison/Rage or Hardy/Compound).

In Day 2, use Rage 1.6 to get 3 bones, aiming to get a 4th bone so you can max your axe collector die and save it for the harder encounters to come. You can use Axe Collector to deal damage to enemies that are flying, have the Break ability etc.

Later on when you have Cripple you can use it to nerf the hardest to kill enemy, while focusing on getting rid of other enemies.

Then as you progress into the late game, you can get more attack and dexterity (aim to always have 1 more dexterity than the combined total of your attack and defence, or even 2). Rage 2.0 and Anger management is a nice to have. In a solo game I wouldn't bother with Rage 3.0.

As others have said, use Body count liberally to heal up when needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baker
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem might just be the Golden Golem encounter. That's a tricky solo encounter, but what you really want to do is play it more to your advantage. You control the Golden Golem like you would your Gearloc, so you can choose which of his dice get used -- you don't always need to apply his Atk and Def dice. Instead, try to ensure that the other baddies get broken and the golem is injured before it is time for your Gearloc to come in.

Outside of that, don't forget about Body Count. It's an easy way to get some HP back that is often overlooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This I didn't know/remember and I've watched the Box of Delights play through over a month ago. I did know the Golem can Break another baddie's dice, but if I'm understanding correctly I can choose how many dice it rolls for an attack?

I had played it like any other baddie attack where you roll everything printed on its chip, but if I could choose to only roll one or two attack dice against the other baddie to weaken it without outright killing it, well, that changes up that encounter radically!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arcnarenth wrote:
This I didn't know/remember and I've watched the Box of Delights play through over a month ago. I did know the Golem can Break another baddie's dice, but if I'm understanding correctly I can choose how many dice it rolls for an attack?

I had played it like any other baddie attack where you roll everything printed on its chip, but if I could choose to only roll one or two attack dice against the other baddie to weaken it without outright killing it, well, that changes up that encounter radically!

Yes, the idea is that you let the other baddies damage it up significantly, choosing not to use its break ability too early. Then let it kill the baddies, and finish it off when you get onto the battlemat.

Note: I edited my reply above with tips for playing Tantrum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keegan
United States
Whitman
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, since I had the opposite experience as you playing each character solo. Tantrum was my favorite while Boomer was my least favorite. Of course there are a lot of variables to success in any given game, not the least of which is the Tyrant and of course that fickle B--, luck! (Rolling three 2's on a baddie damage roll in the first round doesn't make for a fun time.)

I like that Tantrum has a little of everything, making him quite potent solo.
Survivability with Like a Kobold.
Healing with Body Count (in solo all the kills are belong to you!)
A little Ranged damage with Axe Collector.
Control with Way of the Wild.

My first game with him I didn't even get a chance to learn how to manage his rage, losing it in R1 to mischief more than once. In the second game I got his Innate+1, which really helped demonstrate the power of execution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave the little Zerker another go today, this time against Drellen. I had a much better time of things up until that final encounter. Drellen himself hits like a truck and with 5 Ini, he's likely going first. He hit me for 3, put up 2 Def, and Poisoned me for 2. Round 1 starting with 1 HP and forced to use a maxed Body Count just to stay in the fight. I tried going for Kobold, but rolled Axes instead. RAGE made short work of a Clay Golem, but Drellen's second hit got me for 4 and reapplied the poison so I fell before getting a second turn. Brutal.

Question: I considered using Cripple on Drellen, but am I right in assuming I have use that skill die on the same target I choose to attack? I thought I read somewhere that you can't split things between multiple targets, but maybe that was just attack.

Post game analysis makes me believe that against Drellen you need to stack HP for survivability. Even with 6, there's a good chance Drellen can hit for at least 5 if you factor in the poison. Stacking Def isn't going to help much against poison either. I really think this game I got too distracted by the shiny skill dice and should have invested more in core stats. I never ended up using RAAGE, Like a Wolf, Cripple, or Way of the Wild, though with more Dex the last definitely look useful.

Also, a MAJOR thing I overlooked was the Axe Collector Backup Plan. I didn't realize it maxed that die and thought it just ticked it up once. Will definitely be utilizing that in later games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cripple can be used on any adjacent baddie, it doesn't say it needs to be used on your "target". Same with Way of the Wild. My favourite tactic with Tantrum is to attack one enemy, while crippling/disabling another, and throwing an axe on a third.

(note that you can only have one "target", attack dice must be rolled on your target, but many skill dice can be used on baddies other than your target)

If you are playing Greenhorn you could probably afford 1-2 more hit points. Playing Seasoned Adventurer I rarely can afford the training points to increase hp higher than 6-7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arcnarenth wrote:
if I'm understanding correctly I can choose how many dice it rolls for an attack?

Even better - you can roll all of the attack dice and decide which results to resolve... just like you can for a Garlic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wielgus
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brighterthanthesun wrote:
arcnarenth wrote:
if I'm understanding correctly I can choose how many dice it rolls for an attack?

Even better - you can roll all of the attack dice and decide which results to resolve... just like you can for a Garlic!

Shannon just accidentally blew the lid off of our new Vampire Hunter character's "Garlic" Skill line...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghillie Gearloc wrote:
arcnarenth wrote:

Shannon just accidentally blew the lid off of our new Vampire Hunter character's "Garlic" Skill line...

Oh autocorrect... how has "Gearloc" not made its way into my phone's dictionary yet??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghillie Gearloc wrote:
arcnarenth wrote:

CTG just confirmed Vampires as the next Baddie Type. whistle

Edit: Got to think more about this as an actual thing and could see lesser Vamp baddies having something like Recover 1 X to thematically regain health by draining their victim and 5 and 20 points have something like Gendricks' Limit XX. Old school D&D level drain, anyone? *Shudders* Better stop before I give them more ideas... zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.